greasing U joints on 2001 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was reading my Haynes manual the other day and it shows that I should be using the needle adapter to lube the U joint (s???).
I've had it to the dealer (in the distant past, when i first bought it) for a LOF and when I asked if they lubed the truck (not knowing about the U joints then) their answer was "everything's sealed, there's nothing to lube"

which is it?

Ford does not say to lube it. Check you front end though if it has an idler arm and pitman arm in the steering (ie not rack and pinion) there are 2 grease point in the idler that are to be done during LOF service. I DO!

On my 01 F150, after a painfull lower ball joint replacement, I used the sharp needle fitting to pierce the boots on the upper ball joints, tie rods and steering arm. I'd pump in enough grease at each oil change to plump the boots and never had any problems. Traded the truck at 130K miles.

Quote:

Ford does not say to lube it. Check you front end though if it has an idler arm and pitman arm in the steering (ie not rack and pinion) there are 2 grease point in the idler that are to be done during LOF service. I DO!

actually, on page 230 of the owner's manual, i just found out that it does say to lube them! #@$%! it!

Just because their sealed for life and don't have a grease fitting doesn't mean you can't and shouldn't grease them.

well, went to TSC yesterday....they have two needle adapters, one looks to be about 1/8" (or slightly larger) on the end and one is a very small gauge needle....I think it's the larger i'm supposed to use...anyone???

I alway's use a small one. My reasoning is that the smaller the needle I use the smaller the hole I make in the boot, smaller hole = less chance of it leaking back out or dirt getting in.

good point...but i'm talking about the U joints, which there are no boots, not sure what the "fitting" looks like...guess it's time to crawl under the truck.

Ahhh, you mean one of those. If your talking about what I think your talking about it looks like a ball bearing flush mounted to the U-joint. Kind of like the fitting's found on some impact guns, die grinders and air ratchets. They do make a special grease application tip for those and is about 1/4 inch round and tapers to a point with a hole in the middle for the grease to come out of. You push it against the grease port and pump in your grease.

I think the fitting you want has a tapered tip made of rubber, with a small hole in the middle. The main shaft is about the same size as a normal grease coupler, its just the tapered end that is different...

JMH

well, whatever's in the old grease gun hanging in the garage is getting pumped into my Galant's leaking ball joints tomorrow...then sealed with silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back