Grease Ver 3 Oil Filter Study Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ross:
Put me in the group that are concerned about the UPF flow rates. I would be interested in a follow up test. I can send you a upf-44 free if you want a donar filter.

Me too!

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
Due to a temporary quirk in my old computer, I couldn't open the file, but I assume (like the old Grease study) that it doesn't flow test filters, but rather, TESTS SWATCHES OF FILTER MEDIA in a stardardized area such as one square inch (???). If so, keep in mind that TOTAL MEDIA AREA WILL GREATLY IMPACT FILTER FLOW. So this should be considered with whatever application you're dealing with -- you can still potentially get "best filtration" and "good flow" in the same filter.

EXAMPLE: Rather than being "restrictive," with almost twice the media area, PureOne #PL24458 might flow like a fire hydrant compared to much of its Honda application competition:

PureOne #24458: est. 174 sq in
PureOne #14459: 116 sq in
STP #2903: 121 sq in
AC Delco #1127: 111 sq in
Mobil 1 #104: 99 sq in
Fram #3593A: 94 sq in
Bosch #3312: 81 sq in

No Grease's study take this into consideration.
However there are other factors in filter flow: base plate, center tube ADBV, ect.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
The M1 filter does flow less than alot of filters, no lie there, just perception. I don't think anyone said it flowed poorly, only that it will flow less, because of good filteration. This is proven true.

I'm curious about the UPF filter as well. However I think that filter area doesn't make as big of a difference to flow as this study might indicate. AcDelco themselves claim that it flows better than the others. This test shows differently. It's definately a well constructed filter.

-T

Just some personal experience. Patman convinced to give the K&N filter (HP 1007) a try in place of my UPF 44 Delco filter. I spend a ton of time on a roadcourse and wanted lots of flow. I took some careful readings of my digital information on my Ls1 engine on a 2000 Corvette. At 210F the K&N always shows pressure at 40 to 41 PSI. The UPF 44 was always in the low 30s. This is in 6th gear on the highway at about 1700 RPM or 70 MPH which is what I based the readings on. Since then I have heard quite a few "track junkies" tell me the UP 44 is not the filter for the LS1 if you are concerned about flow rates.

quote:

Originally posted by Grease is the word:
For mid-priced, I sure like the Baldwins
wink.gif

I ordered a case of the Baldwins. It looked like my "sweet spot" of all the filters. Plus the physical construction looked like top notch from your photos.

Thanks for doing this study it is great to have all the data points you supplied.

Excellent study! With each revision this study improves.

I do have one question though. The flow rates of filters with the 30W oil at 70*F, how exactly was this test performed? From what I gather, a small portion of the media was tested and then this data was mutlplied to reflect the total filter area? It is my understanding that you did not test the filters fully assembled on a filter mount?

My first post joined yesterday.Congrats on the ver 3 oil study excellant work. This year I have started using purolator oil filters only for my 2 cars and 1 truck, 97 cad 98 gmc and a 77 buick. I used to buy my filters on sale, most any kind ac,fram,quaker state etc. In 02 I had my first oil related engine problem going from nothern ca to pheonix az. a rod knock. I had 9000 mi. on the oil filter, fram/pennzoil mobil tri synthentic oil this was a improved mobil 1 over the original it wasnt out long and mobil came out with another improved version. My findings were little oil flow to the valves, oil only appeared at high rpm, Metal in the oil filter, changed the oil pump no help. I changed all the bearings (engine in car) still, very low oil flow but the knock was gone for a while. Cause Filter,9000mi,mobile 1? Now I use a gf3 oil citgo, purolator filter and I change the oil when the cad dic tells me too. In the Ver3 study I liked the numbers for the purolator but I was concered as to the location of the by pass valve. So I called purolator and talked to an engineer. told him I was using a premium plus L24011 (acP52-98 gmc) and a QS 3675a made by purolator for 97 cad. He said both filters have the by pass valve on the threaded end. Told me how to identify one, look down center if end is a smooth metal it hs the valve on the threaded end also put your finger in the threaded hole and feel for a raised area, that should be the combination by pass valve and anti drain back valve. Also the filter is made in the USA some purolators are made in india (low production types) It will be stamped on the box or the filter the country or origin.

quote:

Originally posted by Oldswagon:
Excellent study! With each revision this study improves.

I do have one question though. The flow rates of filters with the 30W oil at 70*F, how exactly was this test performed? From what I gather, a small portion of the media was tested and then this data was mutlplied to reflect the total filter area? It is my understanding that you did not test the filters fully assembled on a filter mount?

Olds,

Thanks. Glad you liked it. You are correct in the way the media was tested. We did not test flow of filters on a mount, rather flow was examined on a set swatch and that rate was multiplied by the EFA. Not as good as testing the whole filter, but at least it is a guideline. I wish we could take Bob's original flow test and perform it with a filter series like the 1218 that doesn't have a by-pass.

quote:

The flow rates of filters with the 30W oil at 70*F, how exactly was this test performed? From what I gather, a small portion of the media was tested and then this data was multiplied to reflect the total filter area? It is my understanding that you did not test the filters fully assembled on a filter mount?

In the report the test conditions were:
Solution: 99% Glycerol
Measured Surface Tension = 60 Dynes
Solution: 30W motor oil / Non-Detergent
Measured Surface Tension = 47 Dynes

Diameter = 4 s / P
D = diameter of pore in meters
s = Surface tension of the fluid in N/m: 1dyne = 10-3 N/m
P = Pressure in Pascals: 1Pa = 1 Nm2

Bubble Point procedure using 13mm filter holder:
1. Place 13mm filter die cut in filter holder.
2. Wet the filter with glycerol or oil using a syringe until no air bubbles are seen in the filtrate
3 Place filter holder on test equipment
4. Record peak bubble point pressure

Flow Testing Procedure:
1. Place 25mm die cut into filter holder
2. Wet filter until no air bubbles are in filtrate stream
3. Set regulator to 10 or 20 psi
4. Zero/tare scale with collection beaker.
5. Open flow valve and start timer
6. Shut flow valve and stop timer
7. Record grams of oil flow from filter.

Also in the testing notes #12
The "Oil Flow" column calculation is purely a relative number for comparing total filter flow at room temperature. It's a calculation of x # of 25mm filters in parallel to equate to the total EFA of the pleated filter pack. Actual pleated filter flow will be much higher especially when heated.
Maybe the AC UPF filters that were referred to in the linked chart aren't the specific ones tested. Note that the UPF only has 194 sq-in which is 30% less than the "poorly" constructed Fram's TG, and 40% less than Pure 1. It's not likely any glass fiber media will out flow a cellulose or synthetic/cellulose filter that has that much more EFA.

quote:

Originally posted by windcatcher:
My first post joined yesterday.Congrats on the ver 3 oil study excellant work. This year I have started using purolator oil filters only for my 2 cars and 1 truck, 97 cad 98 gmc and a 77 buick. I used to buy my filters on sale, most any kind ac,fram,quaker state etc. In 02 I had my first oil related engine problem going from nothern ca to pheonix az. a rod knock. I had 9000 mi. on the oil filter, fram/pennzoil mobil tri synthentic oil this was a improved mobil 1 over the original it wasnt out long and mobil came out with another improved version. My findings were little oil flow to the valves, oil only appeared at high rpm, Metal in the oil filter, changed the oil pump no help. I changed all the bearings (engine in car) still, very low oil flow but the knock was gone for a while. Cause Filter,9000mi,mobile 1? Now I use a gf3 oil citgo, purolator filter and I change the oil when the cad dic tells me too. In the Ver3 study I liked the numbers for the purolator but I was concered as to the location of the by pass valve. So I called purolator and talked to an engineer. told him I was using a premium plus L24011 (acP52-98 gmc) and a QS 3675a made by purolator for 97 cad. He said both filters have the by pass valve on the threaded end. Told me how to identify one, look down center if end is a smooth metal it hs the valve on the threaded end also put your finger in the threaded hole and feel for a raised area, that should be the combination by pass valve and anti drain back valve. Also the filter is made in the USA some purolators are made in india (low production types) It will be stamped on the box or the filter the country or origin.

I think there is some confusion here. The filter you mentioned does not have a bypass valve, since it is designed for a GM app. It does have a Anti-drain back valve, which is on the threaded end on ALL filters.

-T

On the purolator web site the have a picture of a purolator filter cut away showing a combination anti drain back and by pass valve by the threaded end, It does not have a part no. on it but it looks like the one I use I know the ac 35L does not have a by pass valve but I think the ac1218 does. Goto www.pureoil.com click on premium plus then features and benefits. That is why I called the engineer I wanted to make sure the filters are the same. One thing I forgot to mention is he said that if the bypass valve was in the dome You would see looking down the center a raised area in the center of the end plate. I know the ford purolator filter has a bypass valve, could this be a ford filter we are seeing.

quote:

Originally posted by windcatcher:
I know the ac 35L does not have a by pass valve but I think the ac1218 does.

The AC PF1218 (nor any of its clones) does not have a by-pass valve. It does, however, have an anti-drain back valve.

Most likely. Other than one saturn engines, GM does not use bypass valves in the filters.

-T

Just a thought regarding the Donaldson and Fleetguard results.

Heavy diesels are their main market. Could the reason they use a more open media be to avoid filter plugging (used to be quite common) due to high soot loading in heavy diesels ?

Could the thinking be to filter adequately, yet maintain flow so the filter doesn't go into bypass on those engines that really cane their oil ?

Rick.

Grease , buried in your notes in the spreadsheet are a couple of interesting comments.

"After this testing I've concluded, real filtration will only occur with a bypass system or a remote full flow fine rated hydraulic filter."

and...

"I'm not sure a good running engine would ever plug the filters below the Parker hydraulic filter."

I'm just curious, why led you to say these things?

First,

I've got to say that this is impressive!

The time and effort put into this study is greatly appricated and shows a very professional result.

Next, I want to point out to all of the nay-sayer's our there: See the Fram x2 series really isn't a bad filter.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:

PureOne #24458: est. 174 sq in
PureOne #14459: 116 sq in
STP #2903: 121 sq in
AC Delco #1127: 111 sq in
Mobil 1 #104: 99 sq in
Fram #3593A: 94 sq in
Bosch #3312: 81 sq in

You can find the link the .XLS file here:

http://elabfcsvrt.fdu.edu/oil/Oil_Filter_Specs.xls

Were I covered the actual dissection of the filters and the determination of the overall amount of media in Sq Inches.

Of course, I didn't have any manner of testing actual filtration except for using each filter and sending the results to BlackStone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back