Grease Ver 3 Oil Filter Study Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one wanted to spend the $$ for a high end filter why would anyone get a M1 when the Amsoil seems to beat it in both flow and filtering. Now I realize obtaining an Amsoil is a bit of a hassle, since one normally has to order it from their website. but I do that ahead of time and always (almost) have some on hand for all vehicles.

I'm jumping in rather late. I read a recent independent study that concluded that the top three oil filters OVERALL were Mobil-1, Purolator Pure One and Motorcraft (Pure One media inside).

quote:

Originally posted by newfordrichy:
I'm jumping in rather late. I read a recent independent study that concluded that the top three oil filters OVERALL were Mobil-1, Purolator Pure One and Motorcraft (Pure One media inside).

That study result was an opinion " observation and measure although I enjoyed the study" as there isn't proof of Pure 1 media in a Motorcraft filter.

I read the study and was not suprised by the results...most spin-on filters filters only 40 micron size particles. I was suprised to find Fram listed as a good filter since i had heard bad things about them especially concerning durability.

A real test should include how long these filters last and when do they statr letting by particles bigger than 40 microns? I do think that to have good filtering you should change your filter at 3-5,000 but the oil should still be good.

The real world test should be done with oil analysis. I am sure all of these spin-ons will fail in 3-5,000 miles but how many will start bypassing before that? I would also like to see some factory original filters, Bosch, Mahle, Toyoto, or others to see if the factory has it right.

WIll there be a test comparing stainless, permanent fliters? I would be very interested in that comparison.

DG624 - The real world test should be done with oil analysis. I am sure all of these spin-ons will fail in 3-5,000 miles but how many will start bypassing before that? I would also like to see some factory original filters, Bosch, Mahle, Toyoto, or others to see if the factory has it right.

How is it you are so sure these filters will fail in 3,000 to 5,000 miles?

quote:

That study result was an opinion " observation and measure although I enjoyed the study" as there isn't proof of Pure 1 media in a Motorcraft filter.

The Motorcraft filters I tested definitely did not use Pure 1 media. It was closer to the standard Premium Plus Purilators but not the same. The Pure 1 was thicker and denser than the motorcraft media.

quote:

Originally posted by Donald:
If one wanted to spend the $$ for a high end filter why would anyone get a M1 when the Amsoil seems to beat it in both flow and filtering. Now I realize obtaining an Amsoil is a bit of a hassle, since one normally has to order it from their website. but I do that ahead of time and always (almost) have some on hand for all vehicles.

OK, here's why. Check out this UOA. The Amsoil is a fine filter, no doubt, but with particle counts like this from the M1, why should I bother with the hassle of getting an Amsoil? This oil is already very clean, even by hydraulic system standards. At some point, you start beating the dead horse's skeleton into bonemeal. I can have an M1 filter, in the exact size I want, in my hands within 10-15 minutes of deciding that I need one.

linkie no workie
confused.gif

I hope it's a temporary thing. That had lots of good stuff on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back