Gray dipstick deposits NEW '21 Mazda CX-5.

New '21 Mazda CX-5. Checking dipstick with 300 miles. Getting gray deposits along with fairly clear oil on my clean paper towel. Is this the high moly content? Inquiring/cautious minds want to know.

Sounds perfectly normal to me (though I'd guess you're seeing wear metals of some kind, rather than moly). I'd guess I've seen this on half or more of the dipsticks I've checked... (all four of our cars now do this to some extent) - it's no cause for concern IMHO, and I've never noticed any pattern with oil used which would make me guess it's not related to the oil.
Certain engines/dipstick compositions may be more susceptible to this but it is certainly common in my experience.

Depends on what they were using as factory fill.
At one point they were using the Mazda with moly oil made by idemitsu. That had a grayish color due to the moly.

What does the OP mean by "gray deposits"? Residue on the dipstick? Not normal. Just some greyish haze of the oil? That's why I asked for a picture.
To make an oil look greyish you'd need several thousands ppm of Mo. Common PCMOs contain up to like 500 ppm Mo (Redline, very most oils have way less) and they still don't look any greyish or dark. That said, particles smaller than 1 µm are not visible and much bigger than that (>50 µm) would be retained by the oil filter almost completely.

What does the OP mean by "gray deposits"? Residue on the dipstick? Not normal. Just some greyish haze of the oil? That's why I asked for a picture.
To make an oil look greyish you'd need several thousands ppm of Mo. Common PCMOs contain up to like 500 ppm Mo (Redline, very most oils have way less) and they still don't look any greyish or dark. That said, particles smaller than 1 µm are not visible and much bigger than that (>50 µm) would be retained by the oil filter almost completely.

Most PCMO contain 50-100ppm of moly. Some have a bit more like the latest formulation from Valvoline. Idemitsu has over 800ppm of moly in their synthetic.

It also depends on the form of molybdenum being used.

And how does it look?

Found three that look normal:

LMVCFcf.jpeg

full-82059-25908-voa_idemitsu_zepro_em_gmd1g2.png

index.php

and one with 947 ppm Mo:

post-2-0-71264800-1382355659.jpg

Back