GR Corolla, 3cyl 1.6T AWD, manual, 300 hp

30k for base.+delivery etc. so call it 32-33
loaded 40-42k.
I WISH a base GR Corolla would be $30K + destination/tax!

Not gonna happen.

The 2022 WRX base model, just for comparison, IS actually $30,600. But it’s a car with slightly less performance. And a lot less hype.

I WISH a base GR Corolla would be $30K + destination/tax!

Not gonna happen.

The 2022 WRX base model, just for comparison, IS actually $30,600. But it’s a car with slightly less performance. And a lot less hype
and sedan only🤬🤬🤬

Someone please make me a hatchback with 225+hp, manual transmission. bonus points if it can tow 1000lb and closer to 300hp.

Subaru forester.. oh wait that ended in 2007 with the 2008 model year.

30k+ destination will be window sticker. but add in 2k of fluff and 10k of dealer greed and people will still buy them.

I'd prefer the base edition with the limited slip diff package (performance package?)

but I'd probably still buy the fully loaded edition but not with 10k markup. 50k is just too out there.

Most WRX are going for low to mid 30's (base)

and sedan only🤬🤬🤬

Someone please make me a hatchback with 225+hp, manual transmission. bonus points if it can tow 1000lb and closer to 300hp.

Subaru forester.. oh wait that ended in 2007 with the 2008 model year.
GTI?

Veloster N?

Not sure about the towing ability on those.

One thing I really liked about my 2016 WRX was my Torklift EcoHitch hidden hitch (even had a full 2” receiver). I used mine for a bicycle rack, but it could also be used for hitch-mount cargo carrier, towing a light trailer, small boat, etc.

And a version is already in the works for the 2022 WRX.

30k+ destination will be window sticker. but add in 2k of fluff and 10k of dealer greed and people will still buy them.

I'd prefer the base edition with the limited slip diff package (performance package?)

but I'd probably still buy the fully loaded edition but not with 10k markup. 50k is just too out there.

Most WRX are going for low to mid 30's (base)
I’m the same as you - I’d want the base model with performance package. But even base MSRP will be a lot more than $30K + destination.

Guaranteed.

And then the markup on top of that because demand will FAR outstrip supply for the GR Corolla.

The excitement for the GR Corolla amongst enthusiasts is something I haven’t seen for a new model vehicle in a LONG time. And that will ensure markup fees.

Comparitively, I’ve already read reports of the new WRXs going for <MSRP using Costco vehicle buying program. But the difference is that the 22 WRX’s reception on social media (whether it mirrors reality or not is a different question) has been abysmal.

GTI?

Veloster N?
I have looked at both GTI is FWD only, and the veloster would be a great toy car.

The msrp on this is still abit up in the air. But I would definitely agree wether its a high msrp or not the price will be high with markup.

A few different internet sources are mentioning "projected" msrp in the ranges I stated.
then again maybe toyota just tacks on 5k to the msrp and makes dealers sell them at msrp with some sort of kickback to protect their image vs having rapacious dealers.

So having said that I feel like the final price of base wont be lower than mid to high 30's and the loaded edition easily mid 40's before taxes etc.

I'd buy a wrx if they had a hatchback.. hard to throw a small snowblower or ladder in a trunk.

Last edited:
This car shows how the Japanese manufacturers truly don't have anything interesting in the sports segment.
A freaking 40k 3 cylinder Corolla is all Toyota can come up with. Let's hope they figure out how to glue the oil pan to the block this time. :ROFLMAO:
I dunno, 5 second 0-60, manual transmission only, 187.5 hp/L, AWD with dual LSD, and with Corolla reliability(hopefully)? Seems OK to me.

This car shows how the Japanese manufacturers truly don't have anything interesting in the sports segment.
A freaking 40k 3 cylinder Corolla is all Toyota can come up with. Let's hope they figure out how to glue the oil pan to the block this time. :ROFLMAO:
A gym buddy has one. The thing absolutely rips.

Better than any other hot hatch sold today. Better than similarly priced Mustang or Camaro.

I dunno, 5 second 0-60, manual transmission only, 187.5 hp/L, AWD with dual LSD, and with Corolla reliability(hopefully)? Seems OK to me.
Sure, the numbers look good and I'm not doubting it's capabilities, but it's a tiny crapbox with a 3 cylinder, high strung engine that's going to sound and drone like a crapbox it is.
While these types of vehicles are appealing in EU and Japan, Americans prefer bigger, more comfortable cars with bigger displacement engines because they also use them a lot for commuting.

Just look what happened to the original Supra, S2000, RX7/RX8, Type Rs. Really, the only long time Japanese runners in America are the WRX/STI and Miata.

Sure, the numbers look good and I'm not doubting it's capabilities, but it's a tiny crapbox with a 3 cylinder, high strung engine that's going to sound and drone like a crapbox it is.
While these types of vehicles are appealing in EU and Japan, Americans prefer bigger, more comfortable cars with bigger displacement engines because they also use them a lot for commuting.

Just look what happened to the original Supra, S2000, RX7/RX8, Type Rs. Really, the only long time Japanese runners in America are the WRX/STI and Miata.
The reviews I've seen is that its pretty entertaining on the road too, and for lots of people in the rustbelt, fwd or awd are needed for commuting. Its a hothatch, not a GT car, its going to fill a niche for the 20-50k people in the US who think WRC is cool enough to play along with the home version.
There are lots of rwd sporty-ish cars that cost about the same, the current Supra even, (which don't seem to sell particularly well either!). but they are for different buyers.
Personally I could DD a GR Corolla, as it would make it up my driveway and to the ski hill, where a Supra won't, and most days I need a Corolla hatchback, not a sports car, but this Corolla is also quick at autocross.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned dual LSD. It would take a lot more than two hits of LSD before I would volunteer to spend that kind of money on a Corolla, especially one that is missing a piston. And I say that as a Toyota, manual transmission, and Corolla fan.

If I could get one for cheap then you would probably find me ripping it around the desert roads near me. A used AWD beamer is cheaper for similar performance though

Back