Lincoln-Toyota (Lincota?) Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Oh wow. A carb'd 20R has to be struggling with that! Especially since that car probably has 2.xx rear gearing!

Definitely original. Pretty cool.

I say beef up the bottom end and throw a turbo on!

I agree.

+1

Originally Posted By: Milkman
Just curious, what gave you the idea for this swap ?

This is what crossed my mind as well. I think it is pretty neat project but what the heck inspired putting an anaemic 4-pot in a massive land barge?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Kind of reminds me of something Eljefino would do.
smile.gif

It's beautiful but I'm not that clever. I probably would have found a 130 hp 302 from an 85 grand marquis and forced that to work.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This is what crossed my mind as well. I think it is pretty neat project but what the heck inspired putting an anaemic 4-pot in a massive land barge?

Yeah, that's a land yacht for sure.

OVERKILL: what year is the OP's? I'm guessing late 70's

Cool project. There's something to be said for using what you've got. I see it has the A/C delete package.

If it has a 9-inch rear, it might not be too difficult to find a center section with low gears to wake it up.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Very unusual indeed.

Is there a backstory that led to the idea for the build?

I bought it on a whim for $500 thinking I could get it running for cheap... and then things started to spiral out of control lol. Actually it has been a good hobby for me, I've learned a lot, and enjoyed solving all the little problems. I've always wanted to do an engine swap of some kind, and wanted an engine small enough I could work on it easily.
Originally Posted By: andyd
Typical Ford, the rear springs are shot. They lose their temper after 20 yrs or so. . Always had a soft spot for the Continental.

Possibly some sagging going on. A lot of it is from replacing the heavy engine.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Wow, this is something. How did the Tacoma do towing that esp for 300 miles? I'm guessing it's a 4cyl manual.

I agree with clipping the front spring a little bit for aesthetics.

It's a four cylinder auto. So starting from a stop was easier, but I couldn't always hold the gear I wanted. I put it in third, Maintained as much momentum as possible, and tried to keep it from downshifting to second or unlocking the torque converter. It did want to sway a lot with how high and light the front end was. It required a real light touch on the wheel to counteract any swaying without overcorrecting. The temp needle never moved though and I never got a transmission temperature warning.
I may eventually clip the springs for sure.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It doesn't have a set goal in mind, I just want to be able to drive it around, and surprise people when I pop the hood.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's beautiful but I'm not that clever. I probably would have found a 130 hp 302 from an 85 grand marquis and forced that to work.

It's crossed my mind from time to time that I should have done that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Cool project. There's something to be said for using what you've got. I see it has the A/C delete If it has a 9-inch rear, it might not be too difficult to find a center section with low gears to wake it up.

A/C delete was not a factory option
wink.gif
It does have a 9 inch. If I could find an already low geared center section that would be the best. I don't want to pay hundreds to have someone else re-gear it. I guess I could do it myself, but I don't have a hydraulic press or any special tools.

Yes, and the fact you're using a 20/22R is mind boggling, granted people in Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand and the Middle East do work those motors to the core. The R series of engines are plenty tough though - is FI in the form of turbo/blower planned for the future?

I have to commend you on being creative, but if it was me I'd find a 7M-GTE/2JZ-GTE Supra Turbo motor that hasn't been thrashed around or one of the Lexus 1UZ/3UZ V8s. But then again $$$ - however now that many 1st gen LS400s/SC400s are heading to the junkyard after being beaten on by 2nd-4th owners or getting into wrecks, you can probably score a 1UZ powertrain for not that much if they're half-off at say, Pick & Pull.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back