Gotta gas up..

Number of open charging stalls is pretty important. You might see 20 Teslas charging with 2 or 3 drivers waiting to get on. Ha!
It is important to know when charging is complete, as you can be charged for leaving you car too long after completion.

Here is a Supercharger location at Santana Row, a popular shopping and restaurant center in Silicon Valley.
Personally, I think some people are charging more for show than go. Plus they get parking in a busy place. Dunno for sure.

View attachment 37819
Didn't take long to require charging rules. I just charge at free level 2 and there are always charger hogs, etc, no rules means people act up. Sometimes they just unplug your car and take the cord to theirs. I had someone do that and they just parked behind me blocking me. and I wasn't done charging. They exclaim, "Oh I thought you were done" which of course is lying as the charger has lights on it. Others have unplugged my car just after I started charging and I get a text after walking 15 minutes your car is unplugged. Go back and the guy had the cord locked in his. Now I use a small padlock on the charger handle., saw someone else doing it.This is why I was thinking to forget the whole thing and stay with all gas. I see people waiting an hour to charge at a level 2, I mean that is not a good return on time. Of course people will wait in a line to save 5 cents on a gallon of gas too. If ev's are to succeed there will need to be a lot of strict rules like you are telling about here.

Having the car perform a conversion from charge rate to available mileage is handy even though it isnt in any way absolute.
Its more informative than a mere KWH (being accepted at the moment in time).

Just like when buying 20 worth of gas at the station you manually determine how many miles that buys you that isnt absolute either.

Nor is buying a fixed amount of gallons absolute because your mileage always varies, If I throw 5 or 10 gallons in my car estimates the total mileage I will get from that.

Yes, gas cars will show you miles/kilometres from empty (range) but that's separate from the act of putting gallons/litres of fuel in the tank and that figure, not surprisingly, will change on the go based on driving style, speed...etc. I don't like the idea of trying to clumsily blend legitimate units here to yield something that's going to be inherently inaccurate due to those variables.

I don't go to the gas station and buy 200km worth of gas, nor would that figure be overly useful as range varies wildly based on how I drive. The same goes for an EV, so why the attempt to conceal the kWh figure? We measure home electricity in kWh, it isn't rocket science, I'm sure Average Joe can figure it out that it's the replacement for litres or gallons when going from a petrol or diesel vehicle to an EV and that how far X number of kWh takes him has the same variables in play as his traditional IC vehicle.

To me, this seems like an act of trying to dumb things down and in doing so, presents the consumer with data that is less valuable than the two figures on their own 🤷‍♂️

I thought I did reply I conflated amps and watts. 20 7000 watt chargers draws about 1.16 amps on 120k volts. 1.16 amps is appx 140 watts at 120v. I was doing this in my head and got mixed up. Is that OK? You are right I am wrong. Still the point over all was a lot of chargers can be placed using high voltage transmission lines. A hundred level 2 chargers drawing about 6 amps, and that's at 120K volts only. I think that;s right now.

The issue will be generation capacity to satisfy that load. While 140kW by itself isn't much for HV transmission lines, trying to match gas capacity with these installs will have a significant impact on generation requirements, particularly as people make the efforts to use them as replacements for IC vehicles. TOU will only be effective to modify home charging habits and that philosophy only works when the surplus power exists to be sold cheaply. Right now, that's after dinner and overnight, but if everyone starts charging EV's overnight, that off-peak period stops being off-peak.

There's going to be quite the adaptation curve to significant EV penetration, so I'm watching keenly as to how this plays out.

To me, this seems like an act of trying to dumb things down and in doing so, presents the consumer with data that is less valuable than the two figures on their own 🤷‍♂️
It does make one wonder especially in light of the fact that prior toward the green push ( and everything that goes with it)

Nobody ever questioned or wanted anything better that a gas gauge ( for liquid measure) state of charge indicators, voltmeters and so forth. They all functioned flawlessly and adequately (and everyone knew what they were) for a century and anyone could use them and calculate anything else they wanted to know with a few additions.

There is a difference: you can gas up in a couple of minutes and get to your destination on time. You cannot charge up in the same amount of time.
People may need to charge up "just enough" to get where they need to go; they may not have 1/2 hour or more.

Regarding average Joe, I am willing to bet most people don't know what kWh is.
And they shouldn't have to.

I would not call this dumbing it down, not very many people have the background of some of the people here.

I hate to break it to you but the 'average Joe" isn't as ignorant, blind and naïve as the purveyors of false/misleading data wish he was.
I would not call this dumbing it down, not very many people have the background of some of the people here.
In my neck of the woods, you would be hard pressed to find any 'average guy" of accepted mechanical/electrical aptitude who wouldn't only have a working knowledge but practical application and ability to wok with as well.

That's a cop out and wishful thinking ideology. A country boy can survive ( and build/fix about anything)

Do realize people tend to store gas/diesel AT home and hand/battery power pump if needed, lmao. I'd take my chances trying to source gas than electricity. EVs have their place in life for some, but will never replace fuel burning for the majority of population.
People store power in batteries as well. I have about 400 kwh worth of storage right now, enough to run my essential items in a power outage for a few days, plus I charge them with solar, as long as the sun is out I am good.

There is a difference: you can gas up in a couple of minutes and get to your destination on time. You cannot charge up in the same amount of time.
People may need to charge up "just enough" to get where they need to go; they may not have 1/2 hour or more.

Like I posted before:

“I know that I can get home with 1/4 tank of gas”...isn’t it just the same as saying “I know that I can get home with 1/4 battery charge”.?

The charging station can indicate "xxx minutes to half charge" or "xxx minutes to full charge"....I'm sure it already does this now in some way. Then you know how much time you have to allot for charging. Anything indicated would be approximate anyway. The actual charge depletion or miles traveled would depend on a variety of factors.

Like I posted before:

“I know that I can get home with 1/4 tank of gas”...isn’t it just the same as saying “I know that I can get home with 1/4 battery charge”.?

The charging station can indicate "xxx minutes to half charge" or "xxx minutes to full charge"....I'm sure it already does this now in some way. Then you know how much time you have to allot for charging.
Yes. Look at my 1st pic.

Like I posted before:

The charging station can indicate "xxx minutes to half charge" or "xxx minutes to full charge"....I'm sure it already does this now in some way. Then you know how much time you have to allot for charging. Anything indicated would be approximate anyway. The actual charge depletion or miles traveled would depend on a variety of factors.

I've yet to see a linear gas gauge, and have no idea what 1/4 tank represents in any strange car, or what any 1/4 tank would represent

The first quarter tank almost always yields way more mileage than the last quarter tank because the shape of tank holding fuel..

To me the perfect gas tank would accurately measure the last 1/4 tank with absolute precision- haven't yet seen this.

As reliable and simply as gas gauges are Im simply astonished at how many people run out of gas- I can actually see it happening once getting to know a cars specific range after an idiot light, but two or more times? Come on people.

Having ¼ of a tank of gasoline left will give a driver a much more consistent idea of how many more miles they can travel. Cold weather, hills, and other factors change that equation when it comes to batteries.

To me the perfect gas tank would accurately measure the last 1/4 tank with absolute precision- haven't yet seen this.
I don't think it likely you ever will for a car.

The technology not only exists but has been in use for close to a century and is old school.

I can only believe the reason is that the cost for such accuracy exceeds what anyone wants or is willing to pay for it.

Having ¼ of a tank of gasoline left will give a driver a much more consistent idea of how many more miles they can travel. Cold weather, hills, and other factors change that equation when it comes to batteries.
Agreed. This is why Tesla has additional warnings when you get low.

I don't think it likely you ever will for a car.

The technology not only exists but has been in use for close to a century and is old school.

I can only believe the reason is that the cost for such accuracy exceeds what anyone wants or is willing to pay for it.

When I built dog grooming vans I upgraded the gauge systems to counter this exact problem.

They usually had the terrible 4 light deal where what I installed would read out in % - still not perfect but way better.

In a commercial application like that the ability to know exactly how much water you had left was often the difference of 100 a day.

IMG_0193.jpeg

People store power in batteries as well. I have about 400 kwh worth of storage right now, enough to run my essential items in a power outage for a few days, plus I charge them with solar, as long as the sun is out I am good.
Now Beer Can, I’m going to assume you have a legal isolation switch. :) Anyway, one of my segments of a solar course I took was how to build an off grid system with a generator backup. One of the main components was a battery box for a bunch of 6 volt batteries with a tight fitting lid and fan operated vent for off gassing. I recall we wanted two days of operational time. If the clouds were heavy the generator would kick in.

Do you also have a generator hooked into the system?

Now Beer Can, I’m going to assume you have a legal isolation switch. :) Anyway, one of my segments of a solar course I took was how to build an off grid system with a generator backup. One of the main components was a battery box for a bunch of 6 volt batteries with a tight fitting lid and fan operated vent for off gassing. I recall we wanted two days of operational time. If the clouds were heavy the generator would kick in.

Do you also have a generator hooked into the system?
Yeah I have a legal switch, I don't mess with that stuff I don't want to be responsible for getting someone hurt :)

Yes I have generator backup, my inverter will autostart a gen but I usually do it manually. I have a 5k military diesel, a 5k Honda and a 2k Honda.

My batteries are mostly repurposed car batteries 24v A123 Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) and also some 24v 280Ah LiFePo batteries I built.
I don't use tradition SLA so offgassing is not an issue. I guess fire is a slight issue but I monitor my batteries pretty closely and try to use safer chemistries.

Everybody gets an electricity bill, so everybody should at least have a rudimentary understanding of kWh consumed and its use as a unit of measure. It's no different than gallons or litres.

I don't see the correlation between the time required to fill up vs charge and the perversion of the units in play. I've put $20 in a tank before to get where I needed to be when I was young and broke, as I assume most people have. Just because an EV doesn't use petrol or diesel and takes longer to charge than it takes to fill a tank doesn't mean we get to disregard the proper units of measure. Average Joe, if presented with both kWh capacity and range is going to very quickly, and easily, figure out that 10kWh doesn't get him as far if he's wailing on it just like was the case with 20 gallons, it's a pretty easy correlation to make and drives behaviour based on consumption.

Back