Gotta gas up..

PXL_20201221_015222344.MP.jpg
PXL_20201221_015139481.MP.jpg

That's another big plus, no underground storage tanks full of fuels. There can be 20 charging stations all in a row and nothing but wires and conduit in the ground. Twenty level two's at a full 7000 watts each, and a 120,000 volt line transformered down to them, puts a whopping 140 watts on the main line, very possible to do. Or do you have your oil tank under the garage floor?

That's another big plus, no underground storage tanks full of fuels. There can be 20 charging stations all in a row and nothing but wires and conduit in the ground. Twenty level two's at a full 7000 watts each, and a 120,000 volt line transformered down to them, puts a whopping 140 watts on the main line, very possible to do. Or do you have your oil tank under the garage floor?
???

How do you get 20 stations, at 7,000 watts each, powered by 140 watts? There's a math, units, or physics error in that statement...

???

How do you get 20 stations, at 7,000 watts each, powered by 140 watts? There's a math, units, or physics error in that statement...
the line is 120,000 volts. Divide watts at 120 by 1000, 7 watts per charger, 20 charger is 140 watts. Each 120 leg is 3500 watts, and two is 7000.

I've never researched how the Tesla's recharge. I have two questions for you.

Does the Tesla stopping drawing power once the battery is full?

Also, can you plug in the charger cable and set it to charge overnight when power rates are cheapest if your power is calculated by a smart meter?
The 1st thing to understand is the Tesla app on your cell. The car is very software driven; somewhat of a video game. It tracks start and end time. Shows charging locations, with number of Superchargers and how many are open. Contacts roadside assistance for "out of charge".

Charging at home: Remember, the charger is in the vehicle. You can schedule the charging schedule to take advantage of rates. It stops when charging gets to your assigned charge percent. I think ours is 80% or 90%. If you are going on a trip, you set charging to 100%.
I have solar panels, so I have no need to schedule the times. I had a NEMA 14-50 recepticle installed inthe garage. The charger on our "Mid Range" pulls 32A max. I see 28 to 32 MPH charging.
Anytime the car gets to about half tank, I just plug it in. If it were really low, overnight would fill 'er up.

Tesla Superchargers: Your Tesla account for the car has a credit card assigned. You back in and plug in. Your CC and car are charged. Supercharger can hit incredible MPH numbers. I have only used Superchargers to see what it is like. Maybe $10 if I was really low? Dunno for sure.
PXL_20201221_180239888.jpg
PXL_20201221_175834383.jpg
PXL_20201221_180522727.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
What is your main panel amps rating? My house is too old to add something like this, which is like an electric range outlet.

What’s the highest amp home charging setup, not that it would be required for 99% of users/scenarios? I’m sure we will end up with a Tesla or something else electric in the future and have contemplated how to have the charging setup. I have 600 amp electrical service but would need an electrician to come look at my options depending what panel I’d tap into. I wonder how multi electric vehicle households
will handle this in the not too distant future, say an EV each for mom, dad and 2 teen drivers. That’s a lot of charging and a typical house with 100-200 amp service may make that challenging.

What’s the highest amp home charging setup, not that it would be required for 99% of users/scenarios? I’m sure we will end up with a Tesla or something else electric in the future and have contemplated how to have the charging setup. I have 600 amp electrical service but would need an electrician to come look at my options depending what panel I’d tap into. I wonder how multi electric vehicle households
will handle this in the not too distant future, say an EV each for mom, dad and 2 teen drivers. That’s a lot of charging and a typical house with 100-200 amp service may make that challenging.

600 amps??? Wow. I thought 200 was the standard or more depending on the size of the house?

Our house is old, built in 1962 I believe. Wiring was spaghetti when we bought the house so it was rewired. A 200A panel was used. We added a 60A breaker and 60' of #6 wire (expensive, like $200?) for the Tesla. A union electrician did it for me on the side. $600 all in, including tip.

What you see on the wall is the Tesla portable charge cable that comes with the car. You can get different recepticle plugs, like for an older clothes dryer 3 prong 10-30 or whatever you need. A 110 outlet charges ar 4-5 mph (worthless), the 10-30 at 14 mph (doable?) and the 14-50 at up to 32 mph (just about perfect). These are approximate numbers. The car charges faster at first (low battery) and slower as you approach full charge.

Of course you really need a dedicated line. Some people pull out the dryer plug and push in the Tesla cable. Or install a switch of some kind to share the line. Do not do this. It's lame at best.
You really need to figure out your charging needs and capabilities before buying one of these cars. I understand a lotta condo owners are raising a fit at their HOA meetings. Assumptions will bite you in the ....

The next step up is the Tesla Wall Connector ($500 plus installation) which gives you like 44 mph at 48A output. Wall Connector
People with 2 Teslas often times have these.

Of course any of these options can be mounted inside or out.

Most people can get by with the portable one that comes with the car. My car can pull 32A max so the Wall Connector only adds convenience and allows me to keep the portable cable in the frunk. The AWD (2 motor cars) can take advantage of the Wall Connector.

Go to Tesla.com; all the information you need is there. You just might buy a car...

Last edited:
the line is 120,000 volts. Divide watts at 120 by 1000, 7 watts per charger, 20 charger is 140 watts. Each 120 leg is 3500 watts, and two is 7000.

What are you using for voltage at the charger, 240V?
A 240V (3-phase) 7,000W charger is 16.8A, so 20 of them would be a 336A load at the transformer on the secondary side, which would yield a 0.7A load on the primary side at 120,000V, which is ~140,000W if I am doing the math correctly.

A 110 outlet charges ar 4-5 mph (worthless), the 10-30 at 14 mph (doable?) and the 14-50 at up to 32 mph (just about perfect). These are approximate numbers. The car charges faster at first (low battery) and slower as you approach full charge.
Jeff, there is no such thing as an electrical charge rate measured in miles-per-hour. More made up stuff.

600 amps??? Wow. I thought 200 was the standard or more depending on the size of the house?

We had 400 amp service but added an addition with mother in law apartment and garage space. I didn’t want to pay for 2 meters/service charges for minimal electrical use on the 2nd meter for the next 40 years so they pulled new service from the transformer and we now have one big CT cabinet with a meter. 600 amps is probably
overkill but if I end up with 4 electric vehicles down the road I’ll be glad we did it right the first time. 4 a/c units with provisions for a mini-split in the addition garage, 3 electric dryers, 1 electric range and 2 pool pumps are the big electrical draws but electric cars could change that. Gas for heat, hot water, pool heater and ovens/cooktops and fireplaces. Had to get a new gas meter too when we did the addition. I’d like to add a fire bowl to the patio sometime and those use 120k btu and up. Surprisingly the bills aren’t terrible, $450 in the hottest part of the summer for electric but not close to that the rest of the year.

Our house is old, built in 1962 I believe. Wiring was spaghetti when we bought the house so it was rewired. A 200A panel was used. We added a 60A breaker and 60' of #6 wire (expensive, like $200?) for the Tesla. A union electrician did it for me on the side. $600 all in, including tip.

What you see on the wall is the Tesla portable charge cable that comes with the car. You can get different recepticle plugs, like for an older clothes dryer 3 prong 10-30 or whatever you need. A 110 outlet charges ar 4-5 mph (worthless), the 10-30 at 14 mph (doable?) and the 14-50 at up to 32 mph (just about perfect). These are approximate numbers. The car charges faster at first (low battery) and slower as you approach full charge.

Of course you really need a dedicated line. Some people pull out the dryer plug and push in the Tesla cable. Or install a switch of some kind to share the line. Do not do this. It's lame at best.
You really need to figure out your charging needs and capabilities before buying one of these cars. I understand a lotta condo owners are raising a fit at their HOA meetings. Assumptions will bite you in the ....

The next step up is the Tesla Wall Connector ($500 plus installation) which gives you like 44 mph at 48A output. Wall Connector
People with 2 Teslas often times have these.

Of course any of these options can be mounted inside or out.

Most people can get by with the portable one that comes with the car. My car can pull 32A max so the Wall Connector only adds convenience and allows me to keep the portable cable in the frunk. The AWD (2 motor cars) can take advantage of the Wall Connector.

Go to Tesla.com; all the information you need is there. You just might buy a car...
I always thought #6 took a 50 amp breaker, especially a long run of it. !962 was all pretty good already, but 200 is the way to go for an upgrade. You are more than all set. Yeah no, I need to stay away from enticements.

We had 400 amp service but added an addition with mother in law apartment and garage space. I didn’t want to pay for 2 meters/service charges for minimal electrical use on the 2nd meter for the next 40 years so they pulled new service from the transformer and we now have one big CT cabinet with a meter. 600 amps is probably
overkill but if I end up with 4 electric vehicles down the road I’ll be glad we did it right the first time. 4 a/c units with provisions for a mini-split in the addition garage, 3 electric dryers, 1 electric range and 2 pool pumps are the big electrical draws but electric cars could change that. Gas for heat, hot water, pool heater and ovens/cooktops and fireplaces. Had to get a new gas meter too when we did the addition. I’d like to add a fire bowl to the patio sometime and those use 120k btu and up. Surprisingly the bills aren’t terrible, $450 in the hottest part of the summer for electric but not close to that the rest of the year.

It is probably the future. Imagine having a couple of EVs in the garage charging along with the air conditioning running full blast. Take a shower after work and pop something in the microwave for supper and suddenly , ⚡⬛⬛⬛️.

Back