Got the Gear Back Going!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, been into vintage audio here for a long while. Not all of it "High-End" but good solid combos that to my ears work well together. Was divorced 2 years ago, lost a house, and thus had all of my stuff in storage
frown.gif
But...as of last night, I got a modest vintage system set back up in my small "man-cave" room in the Fiancee's and my "new/old" house.
grin.gif
Old Realistic 110wpc reciever, vintage Pioneer TT with an Audio Technica cartridge, vintage BSR equalizer (mostly for attenuating things, plus I love all the pretty lights
smile.gif
) and yes, a vintage Technics casette player
smile.gif
I have many many "larger" speakers, however the room is small (8'x10' or so), so I decided on two pairs of speakers that would fit the room better. Running a pair of vintage Dynaco A-25's, and a pair of vintage DCM Time Window 1a's. Each do a very nice job IMHO. I cant tell you how "Good" it was last evening just to kick back in my chair, turn off the lights, and just "listen" and relax to some fav music
smile.gif

Nothing like kicking back and listening to some favorite tunes through good gear. Post some pics of your stuff when you get a chance.

The A-25's are definitely retro... (I had A-35's for a good while), and glad to discover that some Dynaco's are still in service.

You're bringing back memories of my Kenwood KD-500/Infinity Black Widow, Signet TK-7E, DQ-10's, etc...

So whatcha listening to?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RnR
The A-25's are definitely retro... (I had A-35's for a good while), and glad to discover that some Dynaco's are still in service.

You're bringing back memories of my Kenwood KD-500/Infinity Black Widow, Signet TK-7E, DQ-10's, etc...

So whatcha listening to?

Thanks guys
smile.gif
Yep, those Dynaco's to me are definitly a classic. Smooth, extended for a speaker of their size, and no "Ear Fatigue".. I've seen pics of the A-35's, but never had a chance to listen to any
frown.gif

As far as listening, I have a varied sense of musical taste..LOL Some of my fav soundtracks are pretty much anything by Hans Zimmer (King Arthur comes to mind) or James Horner (Enemy At The Gates, Perfect Storm) things like that. Love vintage 60's and 70's Rock, same vintage country, enjoy some "Old Peoples Music" such as Bert Kampfert, Ray Conniff, (under light Jazz on EBAY if that makes sense) Love Pipe organs, vintage Hammond organs (Lenny Dee) and had a fellow whom I became friends with that sang bass in a Southern Gospel Quartet, so I love four-part male harmony. Also love a Good female voice, however my Sister is a semi-professional Soprano, so I am very pickey
smile.gif

Just a list of a few of my other things still in storage, I enjoy them all, differnt "flavors" but that's what makes this hobby fun IMHO
smile.gif
Pair of KLH Model 6's pair of KLH model 17's, Two pair of Large Advents, 1 walnut, 1 utility model, pair of Advent Legacy 2's, pair of Realistic Mach 1's, and Mach 2's. pair of JBL 4312 studio monitors, pair of Cerwin Vega D-9's, pair of 15" Altec Lansing 605A Duplexe's pair of Pioneer HPM 40's Electronics, vintage Technics "Class H" reciever, 60wpc vintage Harman Kardon reciever, 'nother vintage realistic 45wpc reciever, and my "big-baby" a Sansui G8700 160wpc reciever
grin.gif

Wow, what a collection!

My vintage Pioneer setup consists of: Pioneer SA-8800 Amp, TX-9500II Tuner, SG-9800 EQ, CT-F9191 Cassette, CD/DVD/SACD Player, and a pair of Realistic Mach Ones.

I love the Silver-Era Pioneer equipment. While the SACD Player doesn't match, gotta have CD's and DVD-A for music to listen to.

There's just something about the warmth and tonal quality of the older audio gear - qualities that are very noticably missing in 90% of today's digital / cube-speaker systems. Just not the same sound & quality of the mid to late 70's gear.

Last edited:
Thank you!
smile.gif
I forgot to add in that I have a Pioneer SX-850 reciever also. So you have a pair of Mach 1's???
cheers3.gif

Most folks have very strong opinions on those..many on the "Audio Sites" bash them unmercifully..I have gotten into some heated arguements with some folks on Audio Karma over the years
smile.gif
I absolutely love mine
smile.gif
I had the Mach 2's for many years before finding a pair of the Mach 1's..As many RS stores as we had in my part of Iowa, I just could not find any used (bought the 2's new) Finaly, a guy who travels for a painting company from Indiana contacted me with almost a mint pair, and even delivered them when He was in town on business 3 years ago
smile.gif
Mine are probably going to need refoamed sometime in the future, but that is something I can do. The Mach 2's are a bit more "refined" (?) than the ones, and have a very sweet/airy bi-radial horn tweeter, but my heart is with the Mach 1's
smile.gif
If I had to live with two pairs of speakers only, those would be the ones "odd" as that may sound.

The DCM timewindow speakers I mentioned in my first post are, from what I have read more of an old "audiophile" speaker..They are smooth, and go decently low, but dont have the authority the Mach's do..and I miss my horn tweeters
smile.gif

I completely agree with you on the sound and "quality" of todays gear. My finacee asked just recently "Why" don't you just get an MP3, put all of your music on that, and get a new compact (cube) system?? I "tried" to explain to her that to me, todays stuff is all about convience..the old gear was "musical", had quality and character..and to me there is just "something" about seeing big speakers made of Wood..:) She just shook her head at me, and thinks I'm nuts..LOL Forgot to mention that i also have an older Sony ES CD player that I enjoy.

Sorry for the long post, please feel free to PM me anytime, its great finding someone else who enjoys this gear, and particularly the Mach 1's
grin2.gif

Take care! Dave

Well, my Mach Ones are the later version - with the liquid cooled tweeter. It also has a different crossover. Now some argue the woofer impedence (6 ohm instead of 8 ohm) and sound quality of the later version - but I haven't really noticed any differnece between them and my brother-in-law's early-version Mach Ones. Besides, they upped the power rating in the later version to 160-watts. Another bonus is - with a pair of 15's, no subwoofer is needed!

Anyway, I had a pair of Mach 3's years ago. But after a messy divorce and battle, I don't have much of anything left from that time period.

The Mach One's are the original 'Home Concert Speaker' and the more power you feed them, the more they like it. They seem to have an almost cult-like following. Like BOSE, people either love them or hate them. Anyway...

I am still working on my collection - my Wife even likes her little SX-450 - surprising for a rated 15-wpc. When I was younger I used to read the RS catalog (back when they actually had a printed catalog) and drool over the Mach Ones & Twos, but couldn't afford a set of them at that time.

I had to re-foam mine (Mach Ones) when I got them, but a trip on eBay - wait a week - then good to go. I love them and wouldn't get rid of them now even if I had to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back