Got ripped off by a bogus web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

I ordered some new headlights for my old Benz from a place called Dash Z racing. The web site seemed for real but soon found out after having my card billed that it was a total fraud. I did a google search of the address and found out it was the local post office of the town they were supposed to be in.
Bank of America gave me the number that they had for the business and it was just someones cell phone. (there is no phone listed on the web site) That should have been a clue but didn't think to look for it.
So my question is, how do you know before ordering something online if a place is for real? My son says it's not to difficult to rip off a legitimate web sites html code to make a professional looking site and then make a few changes.

Hmm, did you call your CC company and dispute this charge ?

I would put a 'Fraud Alert' on your CC now that they have your CC # and info.

+1 to the above.

I hope you've used a credit card and not a debit card. Put a dispute on the charge. Your credit card company should take care of it.

"Dash Z was founded in 2005 to battle the evil forces of [censored] [censored] companies. In a world populated by corporate zombies Dash Z was created to provide a universally accessible alternative. Every member of Dash Z’s staff is in their 20's. We don't just work for Dash Z we live it and understand how hard it is to earn an honest buck.

Dash Z has been through just having one computer working out of our parents house, storing auto parts in our parents house, carrying orders in trash bags to drop off at the post office before going to our paying jobs, no money to pay for rent, being robbed by guys in black ski masks, sharing a office with toilet bowl company, and tons of people laughing at us.

Despite everything we were up against, we had unbelievable support from our customers. You were patient when we screwed up, we are eternally grateful. We will continue to work for YOU!"

It's amazing that they were able to scam people by fully disclosing that they used to carry orders in trash bags

Quote:
Dash Z was founded in 2005 to battle the evil forces of [censored] [censored] companies. In a world populated by corporate zombies Dash Z was created to provide a universally accessible alternative. Every member of Dash Z’s staff is in their 20's. We don't just work for Dash Z we live it and understand how hard it is to earn an honest buck.

Dash Z has been through just having one computer working out of our parents house, storing auto parts in our parents house, carrying orders in trash bags to drop off at the post office before going to our paying jobs, no money to pay for rent, being robbed by guys in black ski masks, sharing a office with toilet bowl company, and tons of people laughing at us.

Despite everything we were up against, we had unbelievable support from our customers. You were patient when we screwed up, we are eternally grateful. We will continue to work for YOU!

Seriously. You bought stuff from these guys? No way.
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif

How did you find out it was a fraud? Maybe it is a home based business like alot are today.

Did they not send thje product? Overcharged you?

Originally Posted By: Jim

So my question is, how do you know before ordering something online if a place is for real? My son says it's not to difficult to rip off a legitimate web sites html code to make a professional looking site and then make a few changes.

Nothing wrong with home based businesses. The vast majority are legitimate. What your son is telling is true, but is this the case here? I first thought your post was a joke, or rather the site that was posted is a joke. It really doesn't take long. But if you have never bought from a web based company, then ask the web community, call them, ask, google it:

http://www.myspace.com/dashzracing

They just don't look serious.

Ask BITOG first!

Originally Posted By: ZZman
How did you find out it was a fraud? Maybe it is a home based business like alot are today.

Did they not send thje product? Overcharged you?

Ya,it may just be a bunch of goofballs who sell stuff out of their house. I`ll be very curious to see if you get your parts. Let us know!

A lot of legitimate businesses use a postal box service. That's how The UPS Store (formerly Mailboxes Etc) came to be what they are now. Very few people in a non face-to-face business want someone suddenly showing up at their front door. The USPS has also made a fortune off of this fact, for longer than any of us have existed.

The cell phone is also replacing the land-line for many. My family hasn't used a land-line in more than a decade. Even Apple promotes the ability to run a business with their iPhone, from credit card processing to handling the shipping of products.

How long has it been since you placed your order? Unless they've had a reasonable opportunity to deliver your headlights, don't let someone make you paranoid. Not every business is going to have the presence of a Fortune 500 company. In fact, even they had to start small...

The problem is that my card was charged but the part is not available. Four emails requesting a cancel of the order have not been answered. Calling the cell phone number resulted in having a person saying "hello" When asked if he was involved with Dash Z he said yes. I requested that the order be canceled so I could buy the parts from someone that has them in stock and after a few minutes of playing with a computer he said my account had been refunded. Two days later, nothing shows up on my account. CC company says it will take care of the problem but they have to wait 30 days.

I found this place by doing a google shopping search for W124 headlight, selecting under $300 and 4 star rating and that's how I ended up at the site. Never looked at the full site until after not getting my parts two weeks later.

Jim - I would do a couple three things:

1) Keep hounding them.
2) Be patient, sometimes credit card refunds take 3+ days. (one area where Paypal is a bit quicker)
3) Keep an eye on your credit card charges.

Credit card can take up to 2 weeks or at least that is how long the vendor has to return "paperwork" to the cc company.

I always call a company prior to ordering.

I think that you shot from the hip in panic. At least you got someone on the cellphone that didn't appear to be giving you any run around. The only thing that would bother me is that I was charged before the product was shipped. I imagine that this outfit doesn't operate on a huge margin and probably uses your money to buy the product.

I haven't ever bought anything from a cable ad ..but all of them state "allow 4-6 weeks for delivery". I assume that's due to the frequency of "slow boats from China" arrivals. I don't know if they charge you at the time of order.

I would not object to a "hold" being placed on the purchase amount until it was shipped ..just like the rental car company does.

Originally Posted By: fordboy
can you call the better buisnuess beuro (or however you spell it)

Yeah, if you can actually find the number in the Yellow Pages.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back