Got Parts Price Matched at AAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking around for TPMS sensors for my steel wheels on the Accord. I have ran two winters so far without TPMS sensors, but do not like not being able to turn off the parental controls. On 2008-2012 Accords, when the ECU cannot see the TPMS sensors, it does not allow you to turn off VSA/traction control. While I haven't needed to turn this off yet, I do not want to be caught with my pants down.

I researched and decided on VDO Redi-Sensors SE10002. I have an ATEQ QuickSet TPMS tool that'll allow me to swap out the TPMS sensor codes via the OBDII port. Not sure if the new VDO sensors come with each sensor's respective code on a paper in the box or if I'll have to have someone read/pull their codes for me.

Deciding that I wanted these sensors, I looked and saw that the B&M Advance Auto had them for $51.99 a piece. With a coupon code, and doing individual orders online, they could be had for $31.99 a piece. Amazon with Prime was $35.66. I wanted to buy them at AAP as I have over $100 in gift cards that I wanted to use.

Advance Auto online doesn't accept their own gift cards, only the stores do. Yesterday, I went into my local store and asked if they would either price match/use a coupon code to total the same price as their online counterpart or if they would price match Amazon. The fellow came back very crabby with a no. I asked why and they said "because you can get cheap discounted parts anywhere". So I left, went home, and called the Advance Auto 1-800 number.

On their website, their price matching policy didn't have any exceptions against online retailers. Just auction sites (eBay) or wholesellers (I'll get to that in a minute).

I spoke with this very friendly woman on the phone and explained my situation. I said how I asked for a price match against Amazon but was denied. She put me on hold for a few then came back and mentioned that the reason they can't price match Amazon was because they are considered a wholeseller. She did say they do however price match RockAuto. I then said, "I'm not mad at you, but I think it's a little annoying and embarrassing on AAP's part that in 2014 the store can't accept their own gift cards online". She said, "Yes, and I agree it is kinda shocking for 2014". She then said she wanted to take a few minutes and look through a few things and see what they can do for me. She took my name and number.

Ten minutes later she called me back. She said that tomorrow (today) the Hamburg store will have 4 of the sensors in-stock and the manager will price match Amazon's price. I thanked her and said it's nice that you're doing this as AAP is usually a go-to for me and my family with having name brands and good prices (didn't mention after the coupon codes
laugh.gif
.)

I'm am happy. AAP's customer service has been decent before. One time I bought a filter for the Impala, PF52 instead of the correct PF61. Their website and in-store computer both said the PF52. Got home and nope, wrong filter. They gave me a $15 gift card for my trouble.

Sometimes it pays to call.

Last edited:
Advance Auto matched a Rock Auto price on a set of adjustable upper control arms for our Acura. Rock Auto had them at something like $80 each and Advance was getting more than $150 each for the very same Moog parts. They guy at the parts counter did this for me with an assist from my iPhone and the Rock Auto website.

I used to price match with RockAuto all the time. More recently, they enacted a few additional, and in my opinion "cheap" rules that has made the process harder.

1. The warranty period had to match. If rockauto has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty, and AAP has a 12 month unlimited warranty, price match does not apply. If rockauto has a lifetime warranty and AAP has a 3 year warranty, price match does not apply.

2. Shipping is added to the Rockauto price for price match. If the price of an item is $12 on rockauto, plus $6 in shipping, AAP will only price match to $18, even if you plan on picking it up. If you want it shipped, their shipping price is added ON TOP of that price-matched price.

A few years ago, they would price match parts from different manufacturers. So their policies have gone down hill, IMO.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I then said, "I'm not mad at you, but I think it's a little annoying and embarrassing on AAP's part that in 2014 the store can't accept their own gift cards online". She said, "Yes, and I agree it is kinda shocking for 2014".

Particularly now that all rebates are being returned as gift cards, I really have a tough time understanding not being able to accept gift cards online...other than it's a good way to force you into the store.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I then said, "I'm not mad at you, but I think it's a little annoying and embarrassing on AAP's part that in 2014 the store can't accept their own gift cards online". She said, "Yes, and I agree it is kinda shocking for 2014".

Particularly now that all rebates are being returned as gift cards, I really have a tough time understanding not being able to accept gift cards online...other than it's a good way to force you into the store.

Gift card would be a great way for the "unbanked" eg drug dealers to buy "credit" in store to use online. Just like they do for "burner" cellphones. AA probably weighed their options and decided to make ghetto dwellers pay full cash price.

Though maybe I think too highly of them, and they are having a rough/stupid time integrating B+M/Online sales.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Yep I don't like it either, and they need to change it but wouldn't bet on it. Also don't like that AAP is now giving rebates in store gift cards rather than AmEx or Visa cc/debit as they used to. But they are just following O'R's lead with that.

On the plus side, try getting a 40-50% off AAP online code price matched at O'R, AZ, Napa or any other auto parts store. Not happening. Or try getting an online ecommerce price match like the OP did at the other ap stores. Not happening either.

As mentioned, the gift cards currently are a way to get folks in the stores and/or keeping gift card rebates from being double dipped with AAP online codes. That sorta makes sense imo.

Bottom line, the AAP code savings and price match convenience positives imo seem to far outweigh the gift card negative.

Got the sensors today. The manager of the store helped me. He was a very friendly older gentlemen. We got talking and he said that the corporate office called him about it yesterday; he also said that he didn't know that he was allowed to price match Amazon and probably would've turned away honoring an Amazon price but since corporate gave him the OK, he was happy to do it.

Started also talking about he online ordering and coupon codes and he said "if you want to save even more, do separate orders to just reach the minimum for the codes". I said, I do try to do that and he said "great, it'll save you a lot".

Overall I was pleased, well played AAP, well played. Looking like I'll keep picking up in store when I need some parts.

Really shows the markup on these parts. I have had managers give me the wrong part, then when I bring it back give me the premium part for the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back