Got new tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by michaelluscher

Finally got the time and money together, and had the original 17" wheels refurbished (un bent, media blasted, powdercoated)

You are a city dweller, not exactly far from me. May I ask, where did you get wheels 'unbent' and how much you paid? I have a big dent on one of the wheels and considering getting a new wheel. The other two have not quickly noticeable dent.

http://proformanceindustries.com/
https://goo.gl/maps/NFDTqCLwse6QeFci6

I made the great trek north, and used these people

Top notch work, and they still gave me top notch service even though my job was a little more pedestrian then there usual stock and trade (when I rolled in, there was a 993 or two, Demon, couple Range Rovers, and IIIRC a sharp looking M5)

All the people that work there seem to take pride in what they do, Mario runs one of the cleanest shops I've ever seen

If a wheel is too far gone, or he thinks it won't be safe, he won't do anything to it

Just a heads up on pricing, it's roughly $200 a wheel for a full repair (weld/media blast/straighten/powdercoat)

He's got about 10 finishes on display on various rims, those are in stock and in the price

They can get in whatever color you want, but that can take a few days, and costs extra

It's a very good looking and tough finish, until the wheels were put on a shoulder height tire rack at my local tire shop, and fell through, hitting the ground...

I can still hear that ringing
mad.gif
, and seeing $875 worth of wheel repair go out the [censored] window

One got scuffed up bad on the face by the center bore, that's why its in the trunk, the other one just got a chip on the edge, which you can't really see with the tire on

Still [censored] tho
frown.gif

I however can attest that it's a very tough finish
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by litesong

Originally Posted by opus1
..... since tire tread compound gets harder the lower the tread gets.
Three times for me, Hankook tires wore well for 20,000 miles(making me think they would get 50,000 miles), but wore quickly after that, never reaching 36,000 miles.

I currently have Hankook's on my Corolla 22,700 miles so far two thirty seconds of wear off the tread.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CKN
Certain models of Michelin tires not lasting any where near their rating has been reported on here several times.

Indeed, although in this case, if the LCA and balljoints are bad, I'm not sure it's all Michelin's fault. I mean I still don't like 'em but have to call a spade a spade.

Front LCA's and ball joints are more of a time based refresh at this point in the game (14y/125k) of NYC life

The bushings are starting to dry rot, but they couldn't be described as "shot"

Same with the balljoints, boots starting to seep grease, so time is limited.

Originally Posted by faramir9
Congrats. Looks good. Why a W-rated tire for a Camry, if I may ask?

Good Question.

Didn't really phase me

I wanted something more summer geared, but semi comfortable and good wet grip, these fit the bill

I don't want to say I regret them, but I'm slowly getting used to there slightly stiffer ride then more comfort oriented all seasons that I'm used to (MXV4/Premier AS/Comfortread Touring)

Steering response is on point, a fair trade

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Can you DIY yhe front suspension work ?

Due to a recent accident, I cannot DIY much of anything

I had to pay someone to change my oil recently
frown.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I currently have Hankook's on my Corolla 22,700 miles so far two thirty seconds of wear off the tread.
Wow, that's good! Hope your Hankook models wear well all the way. Some people had good luck with the Hankook 426's. Like I said, my Hankooks wore well the first 20,000 miles, then wore out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back