Got me a GLI Autobahn

Great choice! 15W40 is quite the step up from 0w20, hope it works out well for you.
the engine doesn't sound that good with 0w20 in it, or whatever the dealer chugged in the engine.

@xgmad

Great car, great color.

As far as the steering, I'm sure you can change the feel of it.

If you're going to get tuned, a dsg tune is a must with it. Lots of knowledgeable vw people on here to offer advice. Talk to that guy on here with the white vw station wagon as he has same engine/Trans and been making great power with it.

That lcd instrument cluster would drive me crazy.

CONGRATS!

The only I'd change are summer tires to a set of PS4S and maybe
Öhlins R&T coilovers if the GLI doesn't come with DCC. No tune,
never ever, it doesn't need it. Summer tires will wake it up, not a
tune what FWD would just overwhelm FWD traction, the too weak
= too soft engine/trans mounts and harm the DSG in longer term.
That said I'd change all engine, DSG and VAQ oil between at 1000
or 2000 mls. VW 504 00 is all this EA888 3G needs. M1 ESP 5W-30
or Ravenol VMP 5W-30. However remember all VW 508 00 analysis
look pretty great. Pointless to go overboard with a non-approved
15W-40, it won't be actually more than likely way worse.

That lcd instrument cluster would drive me crazy.

Why? VW's LCD cluster is the most 'clear' designed in the genre.

@930.engineering
No doubt great engineering and keeping everything "updated", however not my cup of tea.

When I drove one it was too distracting and it hurt my eyes on that 2 hr drive. Just personal preference. I do wear contacts.

The lcd digital display does lend itself to mods, mods, mods.

Can't wait to see what happens when the arduino/c++ guys start messing with it. The expansion possibilities are great.

CONGRATS!

The only I'd change are summer tires to a set of PS4S and maybe
Öhlins R&T coilovers if the GLI doesn't come with DCC. No tune,
never ever, it doesn't need it. Summer tires will wake it up, not a
tune what FWD would just overwhelm FWD traction, the too weak
= too soft engine/trans mounts and harm the DSG in longer term.
That said I'd change all engine, DSG and VAQ oil between at 1000
or 2000 mls. VW 504 00 is all this EA888 3G needs. M1 ESP 5W-30
or Ravenol VMP 5W-30. However remember all VW 508 00 analysis
look pretty

DSG is only temporary right now, im saving up for a manual 6 speed conversion. If anyone is interested in buying a DSG in a year let me know.

Interesting!
I've never seen a Mk7 convert to a 02Q from DSG.
Don't use my GTI's manual transmission (code SAK
if I remember) since it's way too tall gearing. It's just
2100 rpm at 62 mph.
Sad both GTI Clubsport/Clubsport S and Leon Cupra
265-300 aren't been sold in NA, so their trans aren't
available. Fairly shorter gearing, Golf R is even shorter
(but that's 4WD). CS/CSS/Cupra are code PDS or like.

DSG is only temporary right now, im saving up for a manual 6 speed conversion. If anyone is interested in buying a DSG in a year let me know.
If you are going to spend money, just swap RS3 5-cylinder engine and AWD system and be the first GLI owner doing it.

I don't any to pour water on your plans to lose the DSG in favour of a 6MT... but it seems to me that that'd be a hard and expensive undertaking. I expect most folks would counsel you to sell the car and buy a car with the transaxle you really want. There are Ferrari folk that spend $20k to make the change, but in that case, yes, it's a Ferrari ($$$ Everything), but the value of the car jumps so much in their case that it is worth the effort. (Personally, I'd keep their single clutch automated manual - F1 arrangement... that they all seem so scared of - scared, 'cuz they don't understand it or set it up properly).

I'm generally a 6MT fan... but if the car were mine I'd tune the DSG... as stock, it seems to suck, and the tune makes it so much better. Not for speed, not to handle more power, but simply to "fix" that tendency to upshift so early in Normal mode, or hang in a given gear so much in Sport. What I expect you'd want is for it to shift like you would if it were NOT an automated manual.

That's my two cents worth...

I don't any to pour water on your plans to lose the DSG in favour of a 6MT... but it seems to me that that'd be a hard and expensive undertaking. I expect most folks would counsel you to sell the car and buy a car with the transaxle you really want. There are Ferrari folk that spend $20k to make the change, but in that case, yes, it's a Ferrari ($$$ Everything), but the value of the car jumps so much in their case that it is worth the effort. (Personally, I'd keep their single clutch automated manual - F1 arrangement... that they all seem so scared of - scared, 'cuz they don't understand it or set it up properly).

I'm generally a 6MT fan... but if the car were mine I'd tune the DSG... as stock, it seems to suck, and the tune makes it so much better. Not for speed, not to handle more power, but simply to "fix" that tendency to upshift so early in Normal mode, or hang in a given gear so much in Sport. What I expect you'd want is for it to shift like you would if it were NOT an automated manual.

That's my two cents worth...
Those GLI's have a pretty well tuned DSG from the factory.

My advice, drive one without a tuned DSG, then one with a DSG tune.

DSG blows manual out of the water. Tuned DSG compared to any manual.....it's not a fair comparison.

DSG blows manual out of the water. Tuned DSG compared to any manual.....it's not a fair comparison.

If so the quickest stock Mk7 on Nordschleife how is it a manual transmission?

Last edited:
Those GLI's have a pretty well tuned DSG from the factory.

My advice, drive one without a tuned DSG, then one with a DSG tune.

I disagree with the factory DSG tune, as a GLI owner who does everything (track, groceries, commuting etc.).

It auto-upshifts, upshifts are fast, and downshifts are hit or miss. Sometimes it's fast, but sometimes it's annoyingly slow. It always short-shifts to the second gear, even in the sportiest mode. So you always have to keep it in manual.

Also even in the sportiest mode, the tune is extremely eco-focused, so you end up keeping it in D when you drive normally, and in manual mode when you push it hard, there is no middle ground.

DQ381 does not have the dual-clutch feeling, they wanted to make it feel more like a regular automatic compared to DQ250.

I don't know about the aftermarket tune though, never tried it but heard that it is a night and day difference.

I disagree with the factory DSG tune, as a GLI owner who does everything (track, groceries, commuting etc.).

It auto-upshifts, upshifts are fast, and downshifts are hit or miss. Sometimes it's fast, but sometimes it's annoyingly slow. It always short-shifts to the second gear, even in the sportiest mode. So you always have to keep it in manual.

Also even in the sportiest mode, the tune is extremely eco-focused, so you end up keeping it in D when you drive normally, and in manual mode when you push it hard, there is no middle ground.

DQ381 does not have the dual-clutch feeling, they wanted to make it feel more like a regular automatic compared to DQ250.

I don't know about the aftermarket tune though, never tried it but heard that it is a night and day difference.
It is night and day with a tune.

If I wanted to run at the track, dsg would always be in manual mode.

IMHO, the vw dsg is tuned wonderfully from the factory. It's a great compromise between sporty and comfort.

Think about this. If they tuned that dsg to cater to folks like you and I, how many people that purchased a dsg equipped vw would be at the dealer every two days complaining???

If so the quickest stock Mk7 on Nordschleife how is it a manual transmission?

The Ring??? Really bud??? It's a horsepower track, dude. Granted some technical corners, but a horsepower track nonetheless.

How is it faster??? Simple, more hp, lighter weight. Dsg weighs more, robs more power. As little as 5 hp and 50lbs can make a hell of a difference on THAT track.

On a tight technical track, a dsg equipped car would hand a manual it's behind.

Quicker downshift and upshift will cause less time for the chassis to become unstable and transfer weight. That's not even an argument.

The idea of the ring being a be all end all of handling needs to stop. I understand there are car manufacturers and parts manufacturers testing there, yes it offers a combination of all things, but a tight technical track it's not. It's a horsepower track.

The Ring??? Really bud??? It's a horsepower track, dude. Granted some technical corners, but a horsepower track nonetheless.

How is it faster??? Simple, more hp, lighter weight. Dsg weighs more, robs more power. As little as 5 hp and 50lbs can make a hell of a difference on THAT track.

On a tight technical track, a dsg equipped car would hand a manual it's behind.

Quicker downshift and upshift will cause less time for the chassis to become unstable and transfer weight. That's not even an argument.

The idea of the ring being a be all end all of handling needs to stop. I understand there are car manufacturers and parts manufacturers testing there, yes it offers a combination of all things, but a tight technical track it's not. It's a horsepower track.
It is both. It is unique track that offers combination of conditions. It is fast and technical. When I worked for oil company and car magazine in Europe, we used it as we could test certain aspects that would require different tracks to do it. That is why manufacturers are using it as it is hard on vehicles but also offers high speeds not common on technical tracks. It is actually harder on vehicles than many pure technical tracks as high speed, high corners are involved.
Because of high speeds certain vehicles or certain transmission/engine combo might have advantages, but not for a moment one should think it is not technical track.

@edyvw

Not going to disagree with that. You said it yourself, high speed. And there is lots of it on the ring, which is why I thought using it as a be all end all argument for the two cars posted above is not the end all be all.

5 hp and 50 lbs can make a heck of a difference on THAT track. You can't say it's not a factor in the test above, especially with a dsg that's factory tuned and allows a bit of slip for comfort.

I believe that with a tune on that dsg, that test would be a heck of a lot closer.

I understand the love for manuals. Hell, I'm wearing a black shirt with "save the manuals" and a H patters 5 speed logo on it as I'm typing this. There will always be a manual in my fleet, I love the things, but a DSG is simply a better weapon. A well tuned dsg vs a manual, it's not a fair fight.

Granted, it's just my opinion as a hobby mechanic, enthusiast, and a ex track rat.......not a former writer/engineer for a magazine<------poke poke poke

@edyvw

Not going to disagree with that. You said it yourself, high speed. And there is lots of it on the ring, which is why I thought using it as a be all end all argument for the two cars posted above is not the end all be all.

5 hp and 50 lbs can make a heck of a difference on THAT track. You can't say it's not a factor in the test above, especially with a dsg that's factory tuned and allows a bit of slip for comfort.

I believe that with a tune on that dsg, that test would be a heck of a lot closer.

I understand the love for manuals. Hell, I'm wearing a black shirt with "save the manuals" and a H patters 5 speed logo on it as I'm typing this. There will always be a manual in my fleet, I love the things, but a DSG is simply a better weapon. A well tuned dsg vs a manual, it's not a fair fight.

Granted, it's just my opinion as a hobby mechanic, enthusiast, and a ex track rat.......not a former writer/engineer for a magazine
Every track has its challenges. Heck, HPR here is one of the most demanding bcs. altitude.
DSG tune is not only bcs. comfort. But longevity. Tracking is time consuming and if one is not DIY, very expensive hobby. IMO, for 1hrs or track time you need 1-2hrs of wrenching. So yeah, tune DSG properly, it is better “track weapon,” but it will exert more cost. Hence, factory tune the way it is.

Back