Got into an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also of note, I almost saw the identical accident happen this morning on the way to work. I was peeking in the rear-view (so much extra time to think when driving a slushbox) and saw a truck take the right turn wide and almost take out another car that had turned from the lane I got hit in.

The city of Goleta keeps saying how great this onramp is on their official Facebook page.

My rental is starting to get on my nerves. It seems whatever module controls the shifting insists that the car never under any circumstances be in any gear lower than 3rd. I will leave a light and I can feel it shift at least twice and the revs drop to idle then come back up. It feels like when you launch at the Christmas tree, hook, then freak out a bit and back out, then you hit the gas again, except my foot is in it all the time. Also the front and rear suspension do not work together whatsoever at low speed. The brakes suck, probably because the PCM seems to have no idea what engine braking is. If I am not careful I will never have children with how the seats are designed and certain body parts hitting the bolster in ingress and egress. Almost every time I get out of the car I feel like getting in the fetal position and crying for a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I have the bare minimum insurance that meets IL requirements for liabilty. They advertise on TV throughout the day. I assume they will always help me if needed?

With the gecko and Flo, I bet if they pulled back their advertising and spent that money on actually taking care of their customers, shops would like working with them more. I have had it out with the local adjuster for the gecko a few times over the phone because his price lists for parts are a few years old and he says that is his way of "saving money" sorry not on my or my owner's watch.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My rental is starting to get on my nerves. It seems whatever module controls the shifting insists that the car never under any circumstances be in any gear lower than 3rd. I will leave a light and I can feel it shift at least twice and the revs drop to idle then come back up. It feels like when you launch at the Christmas tree, hook, then freak out a bit and back out, then you hit the gas again, except my foot is in it all the time.

That sounds like it's drive by wire. If it had a direct cable to the throttle body, it wouldn't be able to do that.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
My rental is starting to get on my nerves. It seems whatever module controls the shifting insists that the car never under any circumstances be in any gear lower than 3rd. I will leave a light and I can feel it shift at least twice and the revs drop to idle then come back up. It feels like when you launch at the Christmas tree, hook, then freak out a bit and back out, then you hit the gas again, except my foot is in it all the time.

That sounds like it's drive by wire. If it had a direct cable to the throttle body, it wouldn't be able to do that.

My 2004 Volvo S60R and my 2014 Mustang are fly-by-wire and they do no do that at all. Of course they also have a 3rd pedal. My mom's 2014 Fusion Titanium 2.0L EB is fly-by-wire and it does not do this behavior at all.

My 2004 Volvo S60R and my 2014 Mustang are fly-by-wire and they do no do that at all. Of course they also have a 3rd pedal. My mom's 2014 Fusion Titanium 2.0L EB is fly-by-wire and it does not do this behavior at all.

There's something wrong with that Impala; it has an intermittent, non-PCM reporting glitch.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

There's something wrong with that Impala; it has an intermittent, non-PCM reporting glitch.

For the heck of it I would reset the PCM and see what the results are.
Pull the fuse for the unit and wait about 30 minutes before reinstalling it.

Theres nothing wrong with it other than it trying to get the best mileage possible in the EPA test route, so yeah, its gonna shift super early and play with the throttle.
Just drive it like the throttle is a on/off switch and it'll be much better. :p

Last edited:
Talked with one of the guys at the body shop today. He said it is in line for the paint booth. This body shop does all the Teslas in town which is apparently huge business. They are aiming to have it back to me by the end of next week.

I'm curious how well they match/blend the paint to the original. I see lots of repaired cars where it is very obvious they have had repaint work. It seems to be more noticeable on light to medium shades.

It seems that matching these metallic paints is very difficult. I'm no paint expert, but my internet education tells me that matching is almost impossible and that the skill is blending it into the original paint to create an optical allusion of matching. Correct me if I am wrong.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It seems that matching these metallic paints is very difficult. I'm no paint expert, but my internet education tells me that matching is almost impossible and that the skill is blending it into the original paint to create an optical allusion of matching. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ya they said they would be spending a lot of time blending. They ordered a new "5.0" emblem for the passenger's fender so that indicates to me that there will be paint work going on there as well.

I think if the body shop is good, they can get it blended in where you can't tell.

I have the same color and year Mustang as the OP and I had to have my rear bumper repainted a few weeks after buying it due to the detailing guys at the dealership damaging the paint the day I bought it.

Granted my car was only 7 months old when the repair was done but even almost three years later, you cannot tell the difference in the paint where the rear bumper meets the rear qtr panel on the sides of the car. My car sat outside at the dealer for 6 months before I bought it so it had a lot of sun exposure during that time.

I was pretty worried that it would not match because I had heard the same thing about trying to match and blend metallic paint.

Wayne

Got the car back today way ahead of schedule. Looks amazing, have had people at work that have worked in the industry for years looking at it and they can't tell where the damage was. The shop called yesterday and they needed a side impact sensor. I overnighted it and got it to them before 9AM. Got a call about an hour and a half ago from my contact at the shop telling me it would be ready in 20 minutes. Quick drove home and emptied my rental, dropped said rental off, and walked to the body shop across the street. My insurance, AAA, waived the deductible since the accident was 100% not my fault.

I got the police report today and once I sanitize it, I can post it. Pretty much says that I was in my own lane turning and was hit by the other party.

I will post pics later.

The gap from inbetween the front of the door and fender looks better in person.

Overall very pleased with the repair work. I just have to clean the windows, they left them a little streaky, but nothing that I can't do on my own in a few minutes.

Thanks, ya the car feels great. The shop that does the suspension work for the body shop did an alignment for me. They did an awesome job. For anyone interested the body shop was Precision Auto Body in Goleta and the suspension shop was Fairview Motors Brakes and Alignment in Goleta. Both are excellent shops who I have now dealt with personally and professionally. Both are family owned and have great people working there.

As to the Impala, we have an 07 and a 13 and both do the shift at 2,000 and won't downshift unless you break the firewall with your right foot. It's beyond annoying, and then when it does downshift, it feels like a 50 shot kicked in and it's gonna break the transmission it jerks so hard.

Glad you and the 5.0 are OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back