Got caught my first time!

Specifically, does anyone know what extra "metal deactivators and rust preventive additives", if any, are in FC-Ws? Would this be something other than moly, ZDDP, boron, calcium, and magnesium additives that show up on VOAs? If there is something unique and additional that would help prevent corrosion more than a high quality diesel oil does, that would make me lean towards an FC-W. But I've read there isn't anything different in it...
If you don't already know the answer to that, how are you going to be able to interpret the details of the FC-W test if you do obtain them?

I looked at the fc-w tests and also read posts which indicate this test certification is lacking. You seem to be a master at redirecting and have yet to answer a single question I asked. I’m trying to get help answering these questions here, not be told to go figure it out. I already tried that and wasn’t able to find the answers. If you can actually answer a question, that would be nice. If not, I’ll assume you don’t know either.

I looked at the fc-w tests and also read posts which indicate this test certification is lacking. You seem to be a master at redirecting and have yet to answer a single question I asked. I’m trying to get help answering these questions here, not be told to go figure it out. I already tried that and wasn’t able to find the answers. If you can actually answer a question, that would be nice. If not, I’ll assume you don’t know either.
I think this is what you are looking for:

Schaeffer product sheet has this level of detail. Mobil 1 FS has a long list of certs and other physical details. Yamalube, a narrative description of how the oil is great. Seems pretty poor given the price they charge. But I guess there are plenty of trusting people out there to buy it.

1619557981216.jpg

Thanks Critic, I have looked at that. Some people think most diesels with decent add packs would pass this test. Do you agree? Or is it impossible to say without putting them through the test?
Chevron Delo 10w30 SDE passes all the tests.
Reading through your posts shows that you're on the right track.
Marine (and motorcycle) oils are re-branded HDEO's awarded to the lowest bid with several mark-ups along the way to the consumer.

Marine (and motorcycle) oils are re-branded HDEO's awarded to the lowest bid with several mark-ups along the way to the consumer.
And if they carry the relevant approval or license also have demonstrated real-world performance in the particular application. Without that what you have are people on the Internet saying the oil is "stout" or justified by a $30 spectrographic analysis or PDS.

Schaeffer product sheet has this level of detail. Mobil 1 FS has a long list of certs and other physical details. Yamalube, a narrative description of how the oil is great. Seems pretty poor given the price they charge. But I guess there are plenty of trusting people out there to buy it.
Which is far preferable to trusting random individuals guessing on an Internet board due to typical values from a PDS. None of which directly relates to a performance specification.

If you are in a salt environment then use an FC-W rated oil as that has been tested for the salt corrosion. Not saying other oils will not pass a corrosion rest, they may do just as well a an FC-W rated oil but have not been tested for corrosion so why gamble. I myself am in fresh water am not concerned with corrosion. I run Inboards, 4 stroke Outboards and use a HDEO for all of them. Over the last 30 years and many marine engines covering thousands of hours (these engines spend over 7 months a year in storage and get used hard when and often when not instore. Not a single failure, no corrosion, YMMV but I will personally stick with my HDEO and change oil once a season.

The word market segment/ market share ring true here. Some oil companies/blenders are not concerned with a certain market segment. They may have a perfectly fine oil that meets a certain approval, but they may not want to enter that market segment or may not be competitive to gain significant market share. so why would a manufacturer pay for certification/approval in a area where they have no marker share? Some consumers need assurance to be comfortable and are willing to pay a premium for a certain approval while other consumers look at the data and decide to take a calculated risk.

The word market segment/ market share ring true here. Some oil companies/blenders are not concerned with a certain market segment. They may have a perfectly fine oil that meets a certain approval, but they may not want to enter that market segment or may not be competitive to gain significant market share. so why would a manufacturer pay for certification/approval in a area where they have no marker share? Some consumers need assurance to be comfortable and are willing to pay a premium for a certain approval while other consumers look at the data and decide to take a calculated risk.
What data do you look at to determine if an oil meets the requirements of FC-W?

What data do you look at to determine if an oil meets the requirements of FC-W?
I never explicitly or implicitly said I look at data to meet FC-W data. I said other consumers look at the data and not necessarily for FC-W data but to determine the own suitability for their own use. Each consumer has a different set of data/criteria (Some may value the additive package (moly, boron, zinc) etc., some the viscosity, some the TBN.) that is important to them when making a decision. So to say specifically list what each consumer values is hard to quantify.

But since you specifically asked what I look for, I personally look for is the published HTHS, for me the higher the better specially for marine engines that run at higher RPM's and heavier initial loads. To each his own.

What do you look for? Can you share your experience with Marine engines?

Thanks Critic, I have looked at that. Some people think most diesels with decent add packs would pass this test. Do you agree? Or is it impossible to say without putting them through the test?
I am honestly not sure. As others have mentioned, focus on the corrosion related tests and compare that to the standards used for a "normal" light-duty engine oil. Perhaps @Tom NJ might have some insight to add?

Thanks Drew. I mainly operate in saltwater, so corrosion is always a concern. The oil I'm looking at has strong corrosion protection, I think. No one has said otherwise here at least.

Back