Got a really nice fridge for only $25

My wife and I have a fridge that's about a decade old now and with the insane prices for new fridges, we decided to keep our eye out for a good used one.

I think this one will do. A Frigidaire from 2008. An estate sale was happening only three miles from our home. Cleaned every surface up real good, and it seems to cool and freeze incredibly well.

No ice cube machine. No water dispenser. No gimmicks or add-ons. Just a plain old fridge. It will pay for itself the moment ours finally conks out and we transfer our food into this one.

1717884142726.jpg

1717884160778.jpg

1717884176822.jpg

1717884192285.jpg

1717884211354.jpg

Last edited:
Nice going. I've bought lot's of used appliances and consumables successfully, myself: - toasters, microwaves, Brita pitchers, blenders, Sonicares, etc, etc. I like the idea of not creating more landfill trash, and it feels good to recycle while saving a lot of money in today's disposable environment. And I've bought MANY car parts for my ancient Miata as well. :D

So you bought a fridge you don't even need and have no idea when you might? Interesting
I buy it when I don't need for just a few pennies on the retail dollar.

That way when I do need it, I keep the rest of the money I saved in three no cost ETFs.

Compound interest and common sense are a killer combo.

I bought a scratch-n-dent unit from Lowes about 15 years ago, not unlike this unit (looks almost identical, but has an ice maker). I wheeled it home on the sidewalk, about 1/2 mile, with the help of my son and his friend. Got it up and running, and it's been the daily driver ever since. My impression of Frigidaire was that below Whirlpool and GE, but now, what's not to like? FUF (forget until failure)!

BTW, you are missing a butter bin and a tray, that fit on the top row of the lower door. Those, and the color (mine is black) are the only ways yours differs from mine. Oh, mine has more dents! Carry ON!

Yea, nothing like an energy star. Save $50 a year on electricity while you spend $500 for a new circuit board every time you turn around. It’s the new math! That reefer could last a week and you could honestly say “it doesn’t owe me a thing.”

Last edited:
I've got that style fridge at my off grid camp where every amp counts. Picked it up for free off the side of the road. Energy Star? Maybe, but it draws 130 watts or so when it's running. Side-by-side fridge/freezers are way worse for power consumption.

Buy before you need. Two is one and one is none.

I have a 19 cubic foot GE fridge in my garage unplugged. Was $600 at Lowes in 2022. It's rated as garage ready and can handle the heat of a garage. No ice maker and has mechanical thermostats. Only bought it because we had to wait months on the Sub-Zero fridge for my home build. The Sub-Zero cost $14K.

I'm confused that you said your current fridge is a decade old, and this one is coming on 2 decades old but will replace your newer one when it dies?

You can buy any new Fridge today and that old one will still be working when the new one dies..

Last week someone put this 2011 Hotpoint out on the street.. I grabbed it and all it needed was to be cleaned up, especially the Condenser and Condenser Fan.. The thing cranks..

Anything older with Mechanical Controls was made to last..

IMG_20240602_101516736.jpg

You can buy any new Fridge today and that old one will still be working when the new one dies..

Last week someone put this 2011 Hotpoint out on the street.. I grabbed it and all it needed was to be cleaned up, especially the Condenser and Condenser Fan.. The thing cranks..

Anything older with Mechanical Controls was made to last..

View attachment 223891
Very nice!

BTW, you are missing a butter bin and a tray, that fit on the top row of the lower door. Those, and the color (mine is black) are the only ways yours differs from mine. Oh, mine has more dents! Carry ON!
I think I have those now! I just needed to do a little extra clean-up for those areas.

1717944187277.jpg

Last edited:
I've got that style fridge at my off grid camp where every amp counts. Picked it up for free off the side of the road. Energy Star? Maybe, but it draws 130 watts or so when it's running. Side-by-side fridge/freezers are way worse for power consumption.

Buy before you need. Two is one and one is none.

Yep! This one had the most efficient energy rating in its class according to the Department of Energy.

This is a pretty neat tool to look at how a particular fridge is ranked.

https://www.energy.gov/scep/wap/ref...ergy-rating-online-search-tool-2000-july-2021

Freezers and other appliances are ranked here.

Back