New Electric stove

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 20 wonderful years, our GE electric stove went into failure mode (oven won’t heat, electronic controls broken) and the Boss Lady decides she wants new rather than repair it. So first we stop at the nearby appliance store which has been here for decades. It’s decked out festively and full of eager salespeople who I was surprised did not pounce on us. They just left us alone after asking if we needed help.

We could’ve bought a duplicate GE for $399+, but a certain Fridigaire catches her eye...pretty basic which is what we want but it has the smooth cooktop instead of burners for $537+ w/free delivery. We decide to keep looking.

Next stop is Lowes, which looks very understaffed. Surprisingly, we found a Frigidaire which looks the same as the one we saw earlier for $399... $138 LESS….also w/free delivery. We confer and agree this is what we will buy. After a while we are greeted by a truck driver, who says he’ll alert the salesman that another customer is waiting and in a few minutes he arrives. We discuss a few things and tell him that we have to leave the store briefly but will return to purchase. We go to the nearby Kroger and buy $450 of Lowes’s gift cards (and get 900 fuel points), return and tell him to write it up. The floor model is the only one in the store, so we’ll have to wait for a week to get it. And while delivery is free, they charge $15 to haul the old one away...okay fine. Also...due to legal issues the delivery men won’t hook the new one up unless we also provide a new cord. I don’t remember if we have a 3-prong or a 4-prong plug, so when I find out I need to go back and spend another $29 for the cord. Oh well.

I guess I don’t mind waiting a week to save $138 and get $1/gallon off on the next fill up.

All you gotta do is stick your old one on the curb and put an ad in the free section on craigslist and it will be gone the same day.
It will be picked up for the scrap metal

Last edited:
There will always be extra fees for that kind of thing. I do much prefer the smooth glass top surface, however delicate it can be.. so just be careful with it..much nicer and more modern look though.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
All you gotta do is stick your old one on the curb and put an ad in the free section on craigslist and it will be gone the same day.
It will be picked up for the scrap metal

Or, look at Craigslist to see if anyone in your town advertises free appliance pick up. Call them and schedule a pick up.

here it would be trash picked in 30min.

Only thing about flat top electric stoves.. if you have any cheap thin pans.. they wont be flat.. and wont heat up. I had a couple nonstick 8qt pans I used for water mainly.. they bowed up so bad they wouldnt heat.

I ended up buying a bunch of midgrade pans (no allclad) that have the thick encapsulated bottom..

They work great.

I had some nonstick 10" skillets I used mainly for eggs... same thing.
Now I use a 6" nonstick for eggs and stainless or cast iron for everything else.

We have had a smooth top for around six years, i wasn't sure i would like it , thought the top would scratch easily from sliding pans on it. So far its been very good no marks what so ever, this past Sunday i was watching the grey cup and my wife starts yelling for me to come quick.!! we leave the base for our cordless kettle on the top or our stove at the back , so my wife decides to boil a pot of water for pasta or something?? and turns on the wrong round by accident and walks away so by the time she goes back to the kitchen the base is melted in to syrup , i wipe up what i can before it turns rock hard. Amazingly enough after cooling off the plastic mostly peeled right of the glass top and what was left scraped off easily with no damage to the surface at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back