Beware of CarParts.com shipping times.

I'm working on a project, and bought some items from CarParts.com. Mainly because they are located in LaSalle, IL... less than 100 miles from me.

Since they are nearby, shipping should be quick. And they claim that shipping is quick to me, on their website.

Their website already knows my zip code, so it should be doing an accurate job of estimating delivery times. Of course, this is assuming that FedEx picks it up the same day, and there aren't any delays within the FedEx system.

One of the items that I needed, finishing up on this project, was a hood hinge. I ordered it early in the morning, and they told me next day delivery (see screen capture from early this morning below), which was confirmed during check out. When one is this close in proximity, FedEx Ground delivery should indeed be next day.

I ordered the hinge last Friday, and the delivery date provided was Saturday. They use FedEx Home, so a Saturday deliveries are at no extra charge.
Well, today is Wednesday of the next week, and I'm still waiting for it. It should finally be here tomorrow (it is currently in Indianapolis). Only about a week late.

Here's what their system completely fails to estimate, and what they conveniently fail to mention.

Their system did not account for the fact that the item was apparently NOT in their warehouse in LaSalle, but is in a warehouse in the Milwaukee area. So, getting it the next day was impossible, but should have now been 2 days via ground.

Then the second screwup... despite paying $9 for Ground shipping (which should have been over night from LaSalle or two days from Milwaukee), their remote warehouse shipped it out via FedEx "SmartPost", which is a FedEx/USPS hybrid service, which is really slow and cheap. So, now... it is five days on what they stated would be next day.

Unlike Rock Auto, which will be honest and give you an accurate delivery date for each item *before* you order... CarParts.com apparenlty just assumes that they have everything that they sell in their warehouse in LaSalle, IL and calculate delivery time from there. If they don't... well, then it is wrong and they'll just deal with the angry customers after the fact. , and you'll get it whenever it shows up.

Whenever the hood hinge arrives, it will be free... and it will be tossed out. I went ahead and bought one from the dealer instead, and they got it to me overnight at no extra charge.

They cannot be unaware of how broken their website is. Buyer beware.

Hinge.JPG

Very frustrating. I only order from RockAuto or buy items in a retail store. Having dealt with a couple of crummy internet sites in the past turned me off from all of them....except Rockauto which has always been great in my experience.

Thanks for the heads up on another site to avoid.

For all the grief Rock Auto gets on this site, as you noted they are at least honest about shipping times!

Another interesting data point. I ordered some parts from my local Ford dealer via parts.ford.com, and they did indicate that the parts were not in their inventory but were available next business day. I assumed it meant when I ordered from them that it would be shipped to them via normal distribution and then shipped to me. Instead, I received the items next business day shipped direct to me via fed ex from Ford. A nice surprise. Nice to have another setup that seems to have its act together.

SmartPost is a DISASTER, it routinely adds at least 2-3 extra days to everything that uses it-goes to the bulk mail facility, sits there a day or two, then the PO, sits there a day or two, then finally the mailman brings it (and it never fits in the mailbox, which sometimes causes a return to the PO). If it was free, it would be overpriced, and sellers NEVER tell you they're going to use it.

I've had nothing but good luck with RA. Just ordered $700-odd worth of parts and they delivered right on schedule this week. Two packages shipping from further away will be here tomorrow.

Fedex and all the shipping companies have been on schedule where I live, even Amazon packages arrive within a 1-2 day window, even "non-essential" stuff.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Because of the thing we aren't allowed to talk about has likely screwed their delivery times badly.

"The thing" had little/nothing to do with this. The problem is that the carparts.com website is badly designed, and provides inaccurate information.

Most likely CAR PARTS is only a drop shipper with little to no inventory, so at the mercy of their supplier. Shop at known suppliers, price isn't everything

Carparts is what is left of JC Whitney. The sign is still on the building and the Warshawsky’s sign is still in front of the retail store but the store has been closed for over a year. I ordered mirrors for a Silverado couple years ago from JC and they were drop shipped.

I also buy from Rock Auto. Don't think I ever bought from any other place on line. I do spend a rediculus amount of time on the site trying to reduce shipping costs.

SmartPost is a DISASTER, it routinely adds at least 2-3 extra days to everything that uses it-goes to the bulk mail facility, sits there a day or two, then the PO, sits there a day or two, then finally the mailman brings it (and it never fits in the mailbox, which sometimes causes a return to the PO). If it was free, it would be overpriced, and sellers NEVER tell you they're going to use it.
"SmartPost" delays are a lot longer than that. I mean like 1 month to go from California to Maryland. And oh the eBay seller stated that the item was in NJ, but actually shipped it from Los Angeles. Of course eBay does nothing about this.

Back