Interesting Walmart Order Experiences - Local Delivery

Placed two orders recently at walmart.com.

First order - placed pre-dawn was three items, only one of which ($9 item) I guess was in stock at the closest store as delivery was done from store at 10:07 am.

Second order - multiples of the same item in the order ordered at 10:45 am delivered at 1:52 pm - total order value $70.

For both orders I selected ship to me not same day delivery.

Impressive turn around - I'm not complaining but find it interesting as I am not a Walmart+ member. I'm 7 miles away; 15 minute drive each way but both trips appeared to be direct to me trips (not a stop on someone's route) - I got notifications 15 or so minutes before being delivered that my item was out for delivery - at least the in route map showed a direct trip from the store my my house.

The economies of each transaction had me scratching my head, but I guess it is a step in trying to compete with Amazon and other local B&M that have pickup/delivery.

Yep, we've had Walmart use DoorDash, in this area. A person in a their car just shows up with your stuff. All very odd, but they seem to be trying whatever they can to get your items to you as fast as possible.

I've had the same thing happen with Walmart orders in my town. Orders received early morning are usually delivered by early afternoon. (5 to 8 hour turnaround).

In contrast, I ordered a couple of small items from Amazon that shipped from Las Vegas 48 hours later. (125 miles away). Then they were sent to Phoenix. (200 miles away in the opposite direction). Then back here. 400 miles there and back needlessly. Go figure.

I ordered new headlight bulbs and got them the next day in a plastic bag sitting on my doorstep. no label just a packing list and a pack of bulbs. Fast but strange.

I've had the same thing happen with Walmart orders in my town. Orders received early morning are usually delivered by early afternoon. (5 to 8 hour turnaround).

In contrast, I ordered a couple of small items from Amazon that shipped from Las Vegas 48 hours later. (125 miles away). Then they were sent to Phoenix. (200 miles away in the opposite direction). Then back here. 400 miles there and back needlessly. Go figure.
Probably where their distribution center is located or something like that.

Back