Got A new VTX and a question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1010044-1.jpg

Got the new 06 VTX yesterday after a long search. Looking for this color but was only available on 06.

Bad news is it was in the steel crate for 2 1/2 years.
Should I ride it with the factory fill or a change is needed?
P1010047.jpg

P1010049.jpg

Last edited:
CaspianM,

Congrats on the new scoot! Can I ask what the OTD price was? I considered one and of course poured over the VTX forum but eventually decided to get a Yam V*1300. Of course I've since sold it after finding out I'm not a cruiser guy - much prefer standards like the 919 you have there.

OTD was $7780 with lots of haggling for a week back and fourth.
Any thoughts on oil chnage fella's?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Not trying to avoid spending $15 for oil but rather know if dumping factory fill is a good idea! Regardless I will be changing it in 300 miles.
Any thought why new oil in engine would age? Possibly moisture and chemical built up such as rust or the oil itself deteriots by time?

Last edited:
Well, it had to get started once by the Honda assembly people, ran to red line a few times, checked, crated, and shipped.

Gonna be some condensation in that oil from that short cycle, exposure to air through the breather system...

I guess if it were mine, I'd probably drop the few dollars and change the oil and the filter for piece of mind if I were going to own and keep the bike for any length of time. You'll know what's in it.

That oil is fine. Ride and break the motorcycle in and change the oil at 500-600 miles.

Whoever preps the bike usually adds the oil, dealer or dealer service contractor. If yours came out of the crate I'd bet the oil is new, bulk honda 10w40. Ask the dealer.

I was there in the shop when they uncrated the bike. They had one on the floor too but I wanted the one in the warehouse.
I left for a day or two to assemble it and it was a rainy day so don't know it came out with or out the oil.
So if dealers fill them up why it is referred to as factory fill?!

I worked at a Honda dealer for about 2.5 years and I can guarantee that the oil was not in the bike when it was assembled...dealer prep is to add oil...our dealership used Spectro 10w40

So much about factory fill!
wink.gif
I guess that only applies to cars.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Yasterday I had to take the bike to dealership for out of state inspection which we did not do at the time of purchase. The guy who built my bike took me to downtown.
We talked about stuff including the oil.
No bikes leaves (They are honda, suzuki, kawi, Yammie and polaris) the factory with no oil. It has been like this for a long time. They only inspect the oil and VTX actually comes 99% assembled ready to ride except a few small screws and battery and clean up.
The dealer ship uses Spectro also for maintenace. He said I should be fine with the original oil since VTX has very tight seaal and there is not really much air flow in the engine.
Now I have about 200 miles on it and planning to dump the old oil this weekend. Comes my Valvoline 20~50 MC oil handy.

Originally Posted By: cos
CaspianM,

Congrats on the new scoot! Can I ask what the OTD price was? I considered one and of course poured over the VTX forum but eventually decided to get a Yam V*1300. Of course I've since sold it after finding out I'm not a cruiser guy - much prefer standards like the 919 you have there.

I think I have to agree with you on 919.
It is an awesome bike and have got me spoiled big time. And it is comfy too.
After about 220 miles on the VTX, it feels like a truck. Engine not so willing and feels heavy. Shifting gears (1 to 2) feels like a semi truck. I have some getting used to in order but as of now, VTX is only good for long/extended ride imo.
I don't know if it is me or the bike but engine feels ususally tight and during low end low speed it has some struggling for getty up and go.

Caspian-

How about an update on the VTX? I just picked one up, the R model. Came off an F4i and the learning feel curve is huge...like going from a 911 to a Impala...will get you there, just a different feel.

At first I was like oh oh...this is not a steady feel...after 2 weeks on it I can't believe I waited this long to get a cruiser!

Going outside right now to change the oil...right around 600 miles...going to put Valvoline 10W40 MC oil in it for this change with an OEM filter....why 20W50 on your liquid cooled VTX?

Goose
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back