Got a new 2007 Kawi ZX-10R. What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I just picked up a leftover 2007 Kawi ZX-10R ninja new from the dealer a few weeks ago. I'm coming up to the 600 mile service. My question is what's a good synthetic oil for these bikes. I searched a bit but didn't really find much as far as street bikes. I checked the bike forums but I don't think they really know what they're putting in their crank case. They don't do UOA's or anything like that so they just tell you to use whatever they use. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I ve run the dino 15w40 and syn 5w40 rotella in my zx9r. also ran mobil1 mx4t, exxon superflo 20w50, and currently running Brad Penn semi syn 20w50. I have a case of valvoline synpower 20w50 that i got at bogo.

I think for value and performance the rotella line cant be beat for 3-5K intervals in sportbikes. I run the 15w40 in my dirtbike both sides and have not had any issues with it or any oil for that matter in any of my bikes. The rotella shifted better on MY bike than the M1 did.

If going to be doing longer than 5K intervals I would say the amsoil moto oils are top notch, as well as the Mobil 1 10W40 and vtwin 20W50. The M1 oils are pretty stout and all moto-specific oils have higher flash points, more shear stable than pcmo oils.

Bottom line! My opinion would be 2-5K intervals rotella, over 5K amsoil, M1 or another moto specific oil. Just dont run an expensive synthetic and dump it at 2500 miles

Amsoil AME 15W-40 full synthetic in the gallon jugs.

Or their 10W-40 if you are going to ride a lot in the winter.

Cheers!

Sorry for not being specific on the oil type. It takes 10w-40. I want to run synthetic. As for the oil change interval, it will be changed every 2,000 miles no matter what. I ride the [censored] out of it so I do a change every 2k for peace of mind. Either way it can't hurt. So I'm trying to decide between the M1, Amsoil, and Rotella. Maybe you guys can help me out with that. The Rotella is cheap and easily available at wal-mart but if one of the other two are better then I'd rather spend the extra cash on them. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Last edited:
If you insist on using synthetic, and are going to change every 2k, then use the lowest cost oil - which in this case would be the Rotella 5w40.

BTW, even if you weren't going to change every 2k, the Rotella would still be my first choice.

2k changes on synth is throwing money away. But if it makes you feel better, have at it!

cool.gif

From TucsonDon at shell forum:

The primary difference between CI-4+ and the CJ-4 lies in the level of sulfated ash ... the CJ-4 drops to 1.0% from (I think) something closer to 1.4%.

The ash comes from metal additives, ZDDP being one of those. So to reduce ash, they reduced metals.

Some claim that makes CJ-4 an inferior oil, but Shell cites better wear numbers, not worse. So what's going on? I'm no engineer, but it seems they've come up with a different additive formula that uses less metallic additives yet performs better in wear tests. I'm not sure what it might be, and Shell darn sure isn't going to reveal their secret. I know the boron level is higher, but I don't know if that's meaningful. Non-metallic additives? Perhaps?

Originally Posted By: NYC32798
Hey guys. I just picked up a leftover 2007 Kawi ZX-10R ninja new from the dealer a few weeks ago. I'm coming up to the 600 mile service. My question is what's a good synthetic oil for these bikes. I searched a bit but didn't really find much as far as street bikes. I checked the bike forums but I don't think they really know what they're putting in their crank case. They don't do UOA's or anything like that so they just tell you to use whatever they use. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
How about the Bob is the Oil guys motorcycle used oil analysis postings. There is lots of info to help you make your choice.

The 15w40 amsoil diesil is better than the rotella IMO, it holds up better and longer , shift better imo.

my anals showed The ams to go double the distance and show the exact same wear numbers

THe M1 will work as well, cam lobes and tranny like the heavier stuff iMO. I ran 5w40 on a motard and around 20 or 30,000 mile it had some slight lobe wear and that was high end mc oil 5w40 ester changed every 1500 or 2000 mile.

15w40 is a good motrcycle weight, but the syns do clean well like amsoil

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I actually checked the UOA forum and didn't find much info for rotella and street bikes which is why I was asking. There were a few Honda cbr's but only one or two kawi's. I just had to make sure I'm putting the right stuff in especially since I'm starting with a fresh motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back