Got a job at jiffy lube,

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the mangager is not looking pump some oil out of the bulk tank in a used qt bottle to use for filter gaskets......................now you have a clear conscience...................................:)
He don't know and you can feel warm and fuzzy. Please for the love of G-d don't use dirty oil!

In my eyes you are wise beyond your years at your young age........I did not know about this forum till I was about 42 yrs old/young????

I've never trusted those guys. Too many horror stories I've heard! That's exactly why I do my own OCs. I tend to have OCD about oil changes anyways.

so what happens if you use dirty oil as a seal lube anyway? i mean- if these guys are getting there oil changed every 3k, then the oil is actually still pretty good no?

Lube the filter gasket correctly and tighten it properly. Don't use one of those oil filter impact wrenches.

Quote:

I use old oil on the new filter gasket. Basicly, I rub the two filters together...a "kiss".

Why? I'm not saying what your doing is wrong, but, why would you risk (as I see it)lubing your brand new filter with less than nominal oil? It can't be about money unless your changing a gillion filters a day.

This post has been very entertaining--one of the best I've read in a while. We now have an inside man at Jiffy Lube.
So, Kiefer, here's hoping that one day you get to be the guy that stands around looking presentable...tech.

Quote:

After working here, even for one day, i can now see why it is very important to do oil changes yourself. I can't let the oil drip for more than a minute, or else the top guys will finish before me and tell me i'm working to slow, and if i'm working on a RWD vehicle, i have even less time to let the oil drain because then i have to top off the rear diffrential fluid. Unless you own a fleet vehicle, never go any quick lube shop, i hate to do such bad work, but i have no choice. I shudder now of all the times i took my car to a quick lube because i was too lazy, and how they must of treated my car, using dirty oil from the car before or dirty oil from the flange itself as a seal lubricant.
Remember cats, always, always do it yourself, even if it's freezing cold, or time your oci so that you do not have to do it during the winter.

I mean, honestly, is it really going to make a difference in the end? I doubt your engine's life will be drastically reduced.

(You can tell by my recent posts that I'm no longer in search for perfection.)

yea, but you pay more, and you get a less quality job. Of course it won't make a hige diffrence, or else everyones engine would be dying at 100k miles.

And to rusty, Thanks- i'm going to school next year to become an Audi tech, jiffy lube is a stepping stone.

Jack bauer
rugerman.gif

You should have tried getting a job at a dealership quick lube. (Toyota Express Lube, Honda Express Service, etc)

Yea- I tried getting into a dealership quick lube, i would of prefered it, i filled out a few aplications, talked to a few people, but I never got the job. I worked as an apprentice for 2 years at a private owned shop, till it caught on fire just a few months ago.

Reminds me when I was a kid, we drove to Disneyland. I was watching the waitresses at a diner out west, they would empty all the customer's coffee cups back into the coffee urn. I asked them, "What are you doing?" The waitress said, "There'a drought out here, we can't waste no water."
I still don't drink coffee to this day.

Quote:

Reminds me when I was a kid, we drove to Disneyland. I was watching the waitresses at a diner out west, they would empty all the customer's coffee cups back into the coffee urn. I asked them, "What are you doing?" The waitress said, "There'a drought out here, we can't waste no water."
I still don't drink coffee to this day.

puke.gif

Quote:

Some you can get away with it a several times, some will drip if reused once.
Did your Datsun have an aluminum pan and steel plug?

Yea, I understand what you are saying. The Nissan gaskets are not like the normal crush washers. So i can understand why the non-nissan ones may not seal again. Point well taken.

I'm guessing that the Datsun pan was steel as well as the plug.

Quote:

I don't know how to use clean oil for the seal, the boss gets #@$%! if we open any new bottles and he would laugh his Rear diffrential off :lol: if i asked to open one so we could use fresh oil for the seals. As far as washers go, we don't have any.
The pay is great for me! 6 bones an hour, I have more money than i can care to spend, and of course as a former pennzoil employee, you may know that i get motor oil for 75 PERCENT OFF!

Also, i heard minimum wage is suppose to go to 8 bucks starting next year right?

Do they have a cap on how much oil you can buy at that discount?
I'm just thinking, if they're really, really stupid you could probably set up a business reselling Pennzoil Platinum at swap meets for $3/qt............

I've used the same copper crush washer for something like 6 OCI at a time, for in the end I might start getting a little sepage but no drips that I am aware of. I now have aluminum washers as replacements for which I have a feeling I might not be using as long??? Aluminum pan, steel plug...but it has a treaded section that's like 3/4-1" in length (whole also). Perhaps the engine designers (yamaha from what I've heard), have know about such possibilities?

As for lubricating the gasket on the filter, it's a little bit cumbersome to wipe the mating surface on the block without touching anything else, and why would one want to take a chance introducing foreign matter into the filtered uptake zone from the rag or in turning in from the outer edges of the mating area? Because the area happens to be recessed and behind a cross member of the underside of the engine things tend to stay relatively clean, and there's plenty of oil that wets the surface as I go about unscrewing the filter -as it flows out as I unscrew, it has a flushing effect from the inside out to push loosened contaiminents away.

Just my take anyway, but I understand designs vary greatly!

KieferS - Best of luck with the job, and work honestly with yourself within the appearent constraints given, for in the end you'll only have yourself to deal with. Nice perk!

I use oil from the old filter to lube the gasket on the new one, and I've used the same washers (granted, they are industrial strength nylon ones) on 3 different vehicles since I started doing oil changes on them. Sky hasn't fallen yet and there are no leaks!

Hasn't any one here ever had a problem with the filter gasket staying behind on the block flange and having a huge oil leak from double gaskets?

My practice is to wipe off the block flange to ensure that the old gasket didn't get left behind. The one time that I did not do that, was when I had a Fram filter that had blown the plastic relief valve. A thin piece stayed behind on the flange and kept the gasket from fully sealing. I had a very slight drip. It seemed to help to tighten the filter. I finally pulled the filter off a couple of months later to see what was going on. By then the gasket had taken a set so it was necessary to change the filter to get it to seal.

I have never made the mistake of double gasketing an oil filter, but I did see it from time to time from others.

As far as using fresh oil on the gasket to help it seal from sliding instead of grabbing, old oil is all I've ever used. I can't for the life of me see how fresh oil would matter in the slightes for that application.

I had a kid at a quick oil change place strip the drain bolt on my 99 Suburban. Needless to say..they tried to deny it until I threatened litigation. The dealer was able to retap the pan and repair it and the lube place paid the tab. All this after 2 months of intense wrangling on the phone etc. I'll never go to one of those places no matter what. I change all my oil with the exception of 1 GM dealership if I'm in a pinch. That way I know this will never happen again. No offense kid but I wouldn't hit a dead dog in the a$$ with Jiffy Lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back