got 200k Still Running 5w30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toyota Tundra Made its Milestone Mark of 200k today!
banana2.gif
thankyou2.gif
happy2.gif
banana2.gif
cheers3.gif
11.gif
After getting her senior year in high school 2010 all she had in her Diet was Full Syn 5w30 90% on Castrol Edge "Titanium" Till this Day I have never had to add a qt of oil never had low oil pressure or even had any leaks or funny ticks! What Im curious to know where did this thicker oil is better for high millage engines?

Last edited:
Congratulations. 200,000 miles is a great accomplishment. It sounds as though you have treated the engine nicely indeed.

You're right, we see from UOAs that most engines who use the recommend viscosity don't wear very much at all. Unless the manufacturer or engine calls for a thicker oil, thicker does not mean runs longer.

Still, there are so many things that can happen to a vehicle, so congratulations again on making it to 200,000. We really get our money's worth when we can keep a car for a lot of years and miles.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Congratulations. 200,000 miles is a great accomplishment. It sounds as though you have treated the engine nicely indeed.

You're right, we see from UOAs that most engines who use the recommend viscosity don't wear very much at all. Unless the manufacturer or engine calls for a thicker oil, thicker does not mean runs longer.

Still, there are so many things that can happen to a vehicle, so congratulations again on making it to 200,000. We really get our money's worth when we can keep a car for a lot of years and miles.

Do you believe this still holds true for engines that are recommended to use a thin oil like 5w20 or 0w-20?

Op, congrats!!!! How many miles were on it when you got it? What was its previous history like?

200K miles is good....

How long are you OCI ??

10K miles ??

that would be 20 Oil changes...

if you did 10K

just wondering what you OCI was

also what oil filter did you use? Did you always try to use the same brand oil filter?

Last edited:
Congrats on 200k.

In reality, that is a minimum I'd expect from that engine; very robust engine overall. While fun to celebrate, that kind of mileage is not unexpected for any decent, well-cared-for engine today. There are folks here with twice that, and counting. Not to deflate your thunder, but I've had a few vehicles with over 200k miles on them, using 5w-30 dino oil, and were running fine. I've got a Grand Marquis with 160k on 5w-20 conventional lube right now; will easily make the quarter-million mark with no special efforts.

Balance out your OCI with your lube selection, continue the reasonable approach to maintenance, and put another 200k on her! Happy motoring!

Thicker oil is better for film strenght ,but it has a lot of drawback ,cold start pompability.if you highway a lot thick is the way (up the manufacturer recommended .but usually follow big rig thinnest and you should be fine (now a day its 5 w 30)

The companies that market HM oils and say at 75,000 your should switch is just a marketing ploy, If all is running fine, no leaks, no consumption issues there is no reason to switch to a HM oil or a higher viscosity oil. here is a lot to be said for if it ain't broke don't fix it when it comes to what oil you use.

Congrats keep running the 5w30 we have well over 120k on our 2006 Sequoia the same engine you have. I am not even thinking of getting rid of it till it hits 200k. Same with my Tundra 200k is the mark..

Thanks guys! I Got the truck when it had 65K on it the service History on the thing was 5w30 Toyota Motor Oil which we all know is Valvoline.... And my Oil changes I do them Every 5-6K I know I can Always go Longer but I like to do PMs Regularly Since I have to change plugs every year (OE COPPER) and im a Service Adviser for a local European shop And See the Sludge up BMW/AUDI/MB just makes me a bit paranoid lol....

I have a family member that used 5w30w oil in his 98 f150. Changed it every 5000 miles. It lasted 380,000 miles

I'm not sure what the question is. I use 5W-20 in my old Sienna, and I only changed to that after about 200,000 miles. I also use 0W-20 in my ECHO, and no abnormal consumption or anything in either one. The only difference I have noticed is easier starts and less engine noise in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back