Google cuts off Huawei's Android license

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/19/18631558/google-huawei-android-suspension

Reuters first reported the news, and The Verge subsequently confirmed Google's suspension of business with Huawei with a source familiar with the matter.

Reached for comment, a Google spokesperson said only "We are complying with the order and reviewing the implications." The order, in this case, appears to be the US Commerce Department's recent decision to place Huawei on the "Entity List," which as Reuters reports is a list of companies that are unable to buy technology from US companies without government approval.

Speaking to Reuters, a Google spokesperson confirmed that "Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices." So while existing Huawei phones around the world won't be immediately impacted by the decision, the future of updates for those phones as well as any new phones Huawei would produce remains in question.

Huawei is now restricted to using the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), cutting the company off from critical Google apps and services that consumers outside of China expect on Android devices. That also means Huawei will only be able to push security updates for Android once they're made available in AOSP, assuming the company uses its own update system. It's not clear yet how this will affect the full range of Android integrations that Huawei depends on, but we will update this story when we receive additional clarification about the impacts of Google's decision.

My first android phone was a Huawei Ascend from back in the 2009-2010. It was a good phone. Not sure nowadays since i now buy Nokia smartphones.

IMO, the US is playing a dangerous game.

So Google cancels Huawei's Android license. It causes them some short-term pain but do you honestly think an organisation the size of Huawei, with the technical resources it can bring to bear, is incapable of writing (or buying in) its own mobile operating system in double quick time? And if this happens, and it becomes the default OS in China (a nation of 1.4 billion people) how quickly will Google itself find itself 'banned' & how quickly will said OS displace Android in other markets? Just remember that once upon a time Windows thought it was utterly unassailable... that is until Google proved it wasn't.

It's the same with chip technology. Restrict China's access & China sets up its own in-house industry. Suddenly your actions have created a well funded, well motivated global competitor that starts gobbling up your overseas markets & you wish you had never set off down this path because now you have no control and no leverage.

Originally Posted by SonofJoe

So Google cancels Huawei's Android license. It causes them some short-term pain but do you honestly think an organisation the size of Huawei, with the technical resources it can bring to bear, is incapable of writing (or buying in) its own mobile operating system in double quick time? And if this happens, and it becomes the default OS in China (a nation of 1.4 billion people) how quickly will Google itself find itself 'banned' & how quickly will said OS displace Android in other markets? Just remember that once upon a time Windows thought it was utterly unassailable... that is until Google proved it wasn't.

It's the same with chip technology. Restrict China's access & China sets up its own in-house industry. Suddenly your actions have created a well funded, well motivated global competitor that starts gobbling up your overseas markets & you wish you had never set off down this path because now you have no control and no leverage.

Who cares.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Who cares.

We should if we want to stay at the top of the food chain. We will pay for this arrogance.

I completely agree with @SonofJoe. A while ago, India did nuclear tests and US banned them from rocket propulsion technology to put satellites in the orbit. Within 3 years, they developed their own propulsion technology and now we use their system to send some of our satellites in the orbit.

Nothing happens overnight. Now let's assume Huawei develops their own OS and makes it freely available, heck even offers incentives to use their OS. Now you have Chinese backdoor on your TV, phone etc without you knowing it. They already have Kirin processors, now they will have OS too.

Last I checked China was still in the WTO. Huawei can't sell US technology to Iran like they were doing. They got caught with their hand in cookie jar stealing technology too.

Originally Posted by Danno
I find it interesting we have posts defending a Chinese company without knowing why the suspension was put in place.

Errmm...we do get the news over here you know. The BBC & all that.

Huawei spy (allegedly) on The US. Qu'elle surprise! And what have The US been doing since 1949? Sleeping? Reading the newspaper? Tidying the lawn? I don't think so.

And stealing industrial secrets? Maybe just maybe you should acknowledge...what shall we call it..a propensity for technological kleptomania when it suits your own purposes? Yes, kleptomania followed by bouts of acute amnesia. It's a definite thing...

Last edited:

Who cares.

Indeed who cares. In the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant with all the censorship which China has in place.

The BBC & all that.

That explains a lot.

Remember, the US had to step in to save Europe, let the adults do what they need to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Who cares.

Indeed who cares. In the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant with all the censorship which China has in place.

A native of the State of Georgia complaining about repressive laws being handed down by old men with dour, unsmiling faces. Oh the irony...

Originally Posted by Danno
I find it interesting we have posts defending a Chinese company without knowing why the suspension was put in place.

Errmm...we do get the news over here you know. The BBC & all that.

Huawei spy (allegedly) on The US. Qu'elle surprise! And what have The US been doing since 1949? Sleeping? Reading the newspaper? Tidying the lawn? I don't think so.

And stealing industrial secrets? Maybe just maybe you should acknowledge...what shall we call it..a propensity for technological kleptomania when it suits your own purposes? Yes, kleptomania followed by bouts of acute amnesia. It's a definite thing...
Classic European US hater. If you're trying to imply the US is as predatory as China, where is your proof?

Who cares.

A native of the State of Georgia complaining about repressive laws being handed down by old men with dour, unsmiling faces. Oh the irony...

??? Care to enlighten me?

No 1: I'm not complaining about anything,.
No 2: What is this nonsense about "repressive laws"?

??? Care to enlighten me?

No 1: I'm not complaining about anything,.
No 2: What is this nonsense about "repressive laws"?

He's trying to bait you regarding a law that hollywood is protesting.

This is going to get nasty in here. I personally haven't and won't pick a side unless I spent a lot of time researching and had some very convincing information. Personally I won't trust any government (US, China, ours etc). Lots of people in here will be stating their opinion with lots of bias and little knowledge. Unfortunately, that is always the case. Some people want to think their own country is always above board. There are enough scandals just here in Canada.

Reading here, Google had to comply to a US government order. So dont blame Google, its politics. Politics affects most everything earthly, this side of heaven.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back