Google urges Android phone users to switch off Wi-Fi calling

@GON you really should set up a personal VPN from your phone back to your house. Then you can go to shopping and bank websites as if you were at home, and not have to trust anyone involved with the foreign Internet service.

Or at least use a commercial VPN service that is US based.

• Mobile devices from Samsung, including those in the S22, M33, M13, M12, A71, A53, A33, A21s, A13, A12 and A04 series;
  • Mobile devices from Vivo, including those in the S16, S15, S6, X70, X60 and X30 series;
  • The Pixel 6 and Pixel 7 series of devices from Google; and
  • any vehicles that use the Exynos Auto T5123 chipset.
But, the Pixel 6 and 7 were fixed. Not sure on the Samsung phones still affected according to the PZ changelog.
It's an unfortunate component of the Android system.

Big reason why if I had an Android phone, it would be a Pixel. There were some changes that were supposed to make this kind of thing more seamless for the user and not rely on Samsung or LG or etc to update for security patches.

Reactions: Pew
It's an unfortunate component of the Android system.

Big reason why if I had an Android phone, it would be a Pixel. There were some changes that were supposed to make this kind of thing more seamless for the user and not rely on Samsung or LG or etc to update for security patches.

The update frequency is a big part of why I got the Pixel 6. I've gotten more updates on my Pixel 6 in a year than any of my Samsung and LG phones combined over their lifespan.

Why have wifi calling in the first place? Don't most phone plans have unlimited talk?
Where I work has ZERO cell coverage in the building. This allows me to send and receive calls, usually not a big deal, but when my kids school calls, I'd rather get it on my phone

Hmmmm ... How does a Google/Android flaw turns into a knock on Apple?
Apple is the one cell phone producer that sells a vastly more secure phone than any android and supports it for no less than 6 or more years.
I switched from Apple a few months back hoping to have less problems. The mandatory updates and making a perfectly good phone useless made me insane.

iPhone has some very very odd settings

Like the default to share all subscriptions with your "family" automatically, and then also automatically bill them if you don't have a card associated with ApplePay and they do!

Last edited:
There are no mandatory updates. Yes, your phone will tell you an update is available but you just ignore it.
To a point. The apps eventually quit working when you get too far behind. Then it will turn on but only the very basics work. I have an old iPhone in the garage to listen to music this recently happened. No music apps will work and it won't let me update to make them work. Web browser works fine. Total scam.

That is interesting.. I noticed a week or so ago that wifi calling is disabled on my cheapo Moto G stylus phone through Cricket. It won't allow me to turn it back on. I haven't sorted this one out yet. It hasn't effected my connectivity.

Mine hasn't worked in months anyway. Called about it two weeks ago and they didn't have an answer as to why.

Only time I use it is when we are at our camp in the mountains. No cell service there but we have better internet than what I have at home go figure.

I would guess you don't need to answer just to get hacked, similar to not having to open an email attachment to get a virus from an email.
Is that still a Thing? I thought all semi-modern email clients got rid of the scripting vulnerability years ago? I know Thunderbird that I use, did over a dozen years ago, starting with version 3.

Email attachment virii are from the 1990s or 2000s. Exploits are way beyond that nowadays.
That statement seems a little backwards. Today you can still get infected by opening a malware email attachment, but it would be a rare exploit for the email client to be exploited by something in the HTML instead of opening the attachment, since the era when email clients would run scripts has ended.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
That statement seems a little backwards.
My point was, email attachment virus issues just aren't as common nowadays. Do they still happen ? Sure, but most exploits come from browsing and web browser/OS exploits.

For those of us with the S22, those devices are ONLY vulnerable if they run the Exynos chipset, which includes the baseband that processes signals for voice calls. The US version of the Galaxy S22 runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon chip and is not affected.

@GON you really should set up a personal VPN from your phone back to your house. Then you can go to shopping and bank websites as if you were at home, and not have to trust anyone involved with the foreign Internet service.

Or at least use a commercial VPN service that is US based.
Totally agree as that really cuts a lot of concern out of the equation and a good VPN doesn't slow anything down either.

Back