Security Alert from IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
I just received this from Campus IT Security:

Quote:
A critical security vulnerability has been discovered that affects Apple iOS devices (including iPhone and iPad) as well as Android devices (such as Samsung Galaxy S8 and HTC 10). This vulnerability, known as "Broadpwn," provides an attacker with full access to your device when the Wi-Fi function is enabled, with no user interaction or knowledge required. It is a vulnerability in the Broadcom WI-FI controller chip in both types of phones.

What to do:

* Apple iOS devices
Please upgrade to iOS 10.3.3 immediately.

Be advised that this may take 10-15 minutes to install, during which time your device will be unusable. Please choose an appropriate time to limit any disruption to your day.

Open Settings, choose General, choose Software Update, and then choose "Download and Install."

If your device says "iOS 10.3.3 Your software is up to date" on the Software Update screen, then you are safe.

* Google Pixel and Nexus devices

Open Settings, choose About Phone (or About tablet), choose System Updates, and follow any on screen steps.

* All other Android devices

No updates are currently available for your device. The only known safety measure is to disable Wi-Fi on your device (which obviously is not always possible).

Continue to check for software updates on a regular basis, and apply them as soon as they become available for your device.

Check the Apple website for the update. Do you really know who Campus IT Security is? It's probably true but go straight to the source.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
yawn .. :eek:)

For those of us Apple users that are wide awake and running older OSs, could you explain why this is boring?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Check the Apple website for the update. Do you really know who Campus IT Security is? It's probably true but go straight to the source.

Campus IT Security is not a proper noun. Molekule is a teacher/professor. The warning is legit, I've just updated my IPhone to version .3

[off-topic]
our resident mixologist MolaKule does dabble in teaching....
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: ndfergy

Campus IT Security is not a proper noun. Molekule is a teacher/professor. The warning is legit, I've just updated my IPhone to version .3

Proper name not noun. I'm getting old.

Update your darned software (phones and computers) you bunch of knuckle-dragging neanderthals.

Yep, I are an Adjunct Professor for a number of local Universities and Colleges.
banana2.gif

I teach Physical Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, and Physics courses.
cool.gif

The message is legit.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:

Proper name not noun. I'm getting old.

Only the really old or the really young drive Yaris'.

Just kidding...its catching up with most of us.
grin.gif

My candles are starting to outweigh my cake. Still, my little Yaris is providing me the most driving fun in years. On the downside, one must be careful against head on collisions with squirrels
laugh.gif

My candles are starting to outweigh my cake. Still, my little Yaris is providing me the most driving fun in years. On the downside, one must be careful against head on collisions with squirrels
laugh.gif

I'm 3 foot longer then you (2008 Yaris sedan).

It's called driving with the flow at the "highway-posted" speed :p (If not trooper around......cough cough)

Who are you calling squirrel-cage? That honor goes to Chevy Spork (TM El Jefino)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
laugh.gif

I'm 3 foot longer then you (2008 Yaris sedan).

It's called driving with the flow at the "highway-posted" speed :p (If not trooper around......cough cough)

Who are you calling squirrel-cage? That honor goes to Chevy Spork (TM El Jefino)

Good fish story
smile.gif
. You're probably about a foot longer. I need all the inches I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back