Google urges Android phone users to switch off Wi-Fi calling

Why have wifi calling in the first place? Don't most phone plans have unlimited talk?

Carriers have an incentive because it puts less stress on their cellular networks. For the user, the quality of Wi-Fi calling is like VoIP. At home my cellular signal can be spotty (I live on a hillside with a lot of trees) but with Wi-Fi calling it's solid. The big issue for me would be setting up my address for 911 calls, which I've done.

This article is very valid and important but not sure if the person who wrote it is very techy.

I like how the article says Google found multiple security flaws in Samsung Galaxy
But its not the us version of the s22(by far one of the most popular on that list)
and both of google's flagships were affected... but that is paragraphs in not the headline.

This is a drive by attack. if you have a vunerable phone an exploit could be written (it wasnt at the time of the article)
that would take over your phone without answering the call.. or even knowing you got a call.
with only your phone number.. no other info needed... that is why it is so serious.. and why a recent vintage of phone that actually gets timely updates is important.

Back