Good years for used Rav4?

NJC

A family member is looking to buy a used Rav4 in the $3-$4K (CDN) range. I think 2nd gen (2001-2005) would be a better option to avoid the timing belt of the first gen.

Would appreciate any feedback regarding problem areas to watch.

The timing belt in the 3SFE is very easy to do, either yourself or pay a mechanic. And it's non-interference. I wouldn't write off a good condition car in your price range over the method of spinning the cam.

You're looking in such a low price range it's hazardous to only look at one specific make/model. Flexibility will get them a better car.

The older timing belt Rav4 is still a good car, and that TB is non-interference, so if the timing belt breaks, you'll be stranded and will need a new timing belt, but it won't cause any damage to the engine.

Also consider the Matrix/Vibe. Canada also got the Echo hatchback.

The timing belt in the 3SFE is very easy to do, either yourself or pay a mechanic. And it's non-interference.
This. A non-interference Toyota I4 is nothing to worry about :)

I wouldn't write off a good condition car in your price range over the method of spinning the cam.
Timing chains are usually better than belts because you don't have to replace them periodically :sneaky:

You're looking in such a low price range it's hazardous to only look at one specific make/model. Flexibility will get them a better car.
This. For cheap cars in the lowest price bracket, it's more about condition than make/model

That's reasonably low mileage. But $6K USD for a 26yr old vehicle! Interesting to note first 2 gens only rank as Average on reliability.
The fact that you're surprised that it went for $6k given its condition and low-mileage is exactly why your family member needs to better educate themselves on the used car market.

$3k to $4k Canadian is equal to $2300 to $3000 US dollars. Want a popular Toyota SUV for that price? That's a bit unrealistic.

The fact that you're surprised that it went for $6k given its condition and low-mileage is exactly why your family member needs to better educate themselves on the used car market.

$3k to $4k Canadian is equal to $2300 to $3000 US dollars. Want a popular Toyota SUV for that price? That's a bit unrealistic.

Go easy - we're both unfamiliar with them, and the price range is one I picked considering her minimal budget. It's more likely unrealistic on my part.

Go easy - we're both unfamiliar with them, and the price range is one I picked considering her minimal budget. It's more likely unrealistic on my part.

She should save her money and buy an unpopular car that is reliable. Expand the brand choices and some good opportunites should come up. All the best.

The RAV-4 is great but in that price range I wouldn't expect to find much of a Toyota. The mechanical condition of the specific vehicle itself will be much more important than make/model as even Toyota's fall apart eventually. If the purchase isn't an emergency situation or anything I'd have her wait until she has some more $$ so she doesn't regret what she winds up with. I've learned that lesson the hard way before.

300,000 mile corollas were going for 5k here before the prices went up. Toyotas seem to hold a better value on the floor, towards the end of ther life, which is a little weird when you hit the high miles. As good as they generally seem to be, at 300k when one thing breaks, there’s 5 other problems right behind it.

Watch out for ones with the 2.4's, the were known oil burners. But then again, that might put one into your price range. I'm not sure if the FWD ones do "great" in snow, as they are a bit more rear heavy than a typical FWD sedan would be. But again, that drives down desirability, which in turn drives down value/cost.

In the end, it's all about condition. Rough market still, on the low end.

I've been quite happy with my 2012 Rav4 V6 (bought used 'Toyota Certified' in 2015 with 23,000 miles- it was a lease return). Now has 161,000 and I haven't done squat to the car except for routine fluid changes/brakes/ etc. Gas mileage isn't the best but so far it hasn't let me down and the 4wd is great for the Minnesota winters. It's the base trim with some sort of exterior package (allow wheels, sunroof, cargo rack/rails). No power seats though. Pretty dang quick vehicle with the 3.5L.

Reactions: NJC
Back