Good to switch back and forth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. I have been switching back and forth the oil weights depending on the season. 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 the rest of the other seasons. Ok to switch from the two grades depending on the temperature? 5W30 in the winter since the 5 weight in the winter time is thinner and more beneficial during cold starts. The car is a 1992 Toyota Camry 2.2L four banger with 189,423km(118,219 miles). I do find that after switching from 10W30 to 5W30 I consume about 1/2 quart(473ml) of oil for 3 months/5,000-6,000kms. Why is this? The second oil change with 5W30 the oil consumption is back to normal about 1/4 quart(236ml). Suggestions and comments welcomed.
smile.gif
Spector, I couldn't send you a PM. In response to your PM, 1992 Camry 2.2L four banger with 118,219 miles. Still original alternator, water pump, starter, and exhaust except for the front pipe. I use only original OEM parts. Can't buy another Camry because the quality and reliability has dropped since they started production in U.S.A. for the 1997 and up Camrys. '93 to '96 U.S.A. built Camrys were still very good. The best Camrys are the 1992-1996 generation. Spector, do you agree the '92-96 are the best Camrys ever made our of all the generations?

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Hi everybody. I have been switching back and forth the oil weights depending on the season. 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 the rest of the other seasons. Ok to switch from the two grades depending on the temperature? 5W30 in the winter since the 5 weight in the winter time is thinner and more beneficial during cold starts. The car is a 1992 Toyota Camry 2.2L four banger with 189,423km(118,219 miles). I do find that after switching from 10W30 to 5W30 I consume about 1/2 quart(473ml) of oil for 3 months/5,000-6,000kms. Why is this? The second oil change with 5W30 the oil consumption is back to normal about 1/4 quart(236ml). Suggestions and comments welcomed.
smile.gif
Spector, I couldn't send you a PM. In response to your PM, 1992 Camry 2.2L four banger with 118,219 miles. Still original alternator, water pump, starter, and exhaust except for the front pipe. I use only original OEM parts. Can't buy another Camry because the quality and reliability has dropped since they started production in U.S.A. for the 1997 and up Camrys. '93 to '96 U.S.A. built Camrys were still very good. The best Camrys are the 1992-1996 generation. Spector, do you agree the '92-96 are the best Camrys ever made our of all the generations?

To be honest you should have no problems switching between either grade. The reasons for your consumption for the lower grade is either due to blow-by, or seal leakage. A 5 weight oil is a little thinner and is able to get past your rings easier, same being with your valve guide seals and other seals in the engine.

What part of the country are you from. Would it not be possible to use 10w30 year round?

Msparks, thanks for responding. Up here in Toronto, Canada we get winters. Milder winters these past couple of years. I park the car outside during the winter so 5W30 is more suitable. I thought about oil getting by the seals and piston rings. The car recommends 10W30 but I don't think it would hurt to use 5W30 for the winter.

I personally think it's mild enough here in the winter to use 10w30 all year round, as it rarely goes below 0F in the Toronto winters. So if you pick a 10w30 with a good pour point you'll be fine. But then again, I feel safer since my owner's manual for the Firebird says I can use 10w30 as long as it's 0F and up. Other manuals I have seen only call for 10w30 when it's 32F and up. (of course they are referring to 10w30 dino oil, and I feel that a 10w30 synthetic or a good blend can flow even better than 5w30 in the cold anyways) Even Maxlife 10w30 has a pour point of -36C and it'll never get anywhere near that cold in the winter in Toronto (north of Toronto yes, but not in the immediate area)

I agree, current Camry's are not built the same as the 92-96 models. I also use only OEM parts, (except for oil filters) as I find they wear better then aftermarket. Plus, the Toyotas also bore me now, nothign exciting about them The same V6 in teh current model as in the 92. Seems all other manufacturers have moved ahead except Toyota

quote:

Originally posted by Employee#08:
Msparks, thanks for responding. Up here in Toronto, Canada we get winters. I park the car outside during the winter so 5W30 is more suitable. I thought about oil getting by the seals and piston rings. The car recommends 10W30 but I don't think it would hurt to use 5W30 for the winter.

Maybe in your case you should take a look at a synthetic blend or a group III oil.

Luckly you live in Canada, go find yourself some Petro Canada stuff.

Here is a datasheet on the 10w30 supreme. http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/techdata/html/IM7872.html

quote:

Exceptional synthetic-like resistance to high temperature lubricant breakdown
Reduces deposits of varnish, sludge and carbon on engine parts
Minimizes piston-ring sticking
Improves fuel economy
Extends engine life
Improves lubrication because oil-ways stay clean
Oil pressure remains constant
Outstanding protection against wear, rust and corrosion
Considerably less wear on rings, liners and camshafts
Bearing life greatly extended
Minimizes corrosion due to stop-start driving in cold weather
Excellent fluidity at low temperatures
Permits easier cold weather starts
Reduces wear during low temperature start-up and operation
Friction-reduced formulation
Reduced gasoline consumption

[ July 26, 2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Spector,

Just out of curiosity, what oil filters do you use on your Camry? I agree that the 3rd generation Camrys were the best in terms of content and assembly quality. I have a Japanesze built Gen2 that is incredible, but my US built Gen4 has had some annoying squeaks and two warranty covered parts replacements.

Also the V6 used in current Camrys is not the same as the one used in 1992. In 1992 and 1993 the Camry V6 used the 3VZ-FE iron block aluminum head engine. Current Tacoma V6 and Tundra V6 trucks use the 5VZ-FE which is a descedant of the 3VZ-FE.

In 1994 the all aluminum 1MZ-FE V6 was introduced. In 1995 or 1996 the 1MZ-FE went to distributorless ignition and in 1997 power was boosted slighty. Current Camry 1MZ-FEs have a drive by wire throttle. Sienna, Avalon, and Lexus ES300 1MZ-FEs also have variable valve timing.

So the Toyota passenger car V6 engine in use now is quite different from that used in 1992. That said, I am disappointed that Toyota has not boosted displacement and power as Nissan did with its VQ series and Honda is rumored to be doing for the new Accord. I guess that's why I have an aftermarket supercharger on my 1999 Camry V6! Oh yeah, boring is good since I'm practically invisible to the police.

Just curious, Camry compadres.

offtopic.gif

Do you think the quality of the engines and chassis have gone south due to their being assembled in America, or is it because Toyota made some (maybe economic-based) changes, like going to all-aluminum engines?

BTW, that is one reason I purchsed the Nissan for a daily driver.

American made (Smyrna, Tenn), American designed (Detroit), and it still has a Cast Iron block.

in response to the toyota quality questions...

the georgetown plant is still "new." the biggest problem facing toyota in the us is not the build quality at georgetown, as much as developing the american supply base.

my wife has had three camrys. the latest did have a squeak, but it's a 2002, new body and interior, new tools, etc. it does take a bit of time to get fit and finish issues straightened out.

i had more trouble with my japanese built RAV4 than she's had with her american built camry. i got so irritated at my dealer's incompetence that i switched to subaru (all wheel drive is the way).

Employee#08

Re: "the 3.0L is pretty much the same as back in '92 except for a few updates. Same block, same output."

'92-'93 3VZ-FE iron block 2958cc 185HP

'94'-'96 1MZ-FE alloy block 2995cc 188HP
'97'-'01 1MZ-FE alloy block 2995cc 194HP
'02 1MZ-FE alloy block 2995cc 192HP

3VZ-FE and 1MZ-FE blocks are not the same (VZ = iron, MZ = alloy). Outputs are not the same but are close.

Many factors have caused Toyota to decline back to industry average on reliability and durability. I always believe Toyota is above industry standard on reliability and durability. Economics is definitely #1 on the decline of the total outcome of the Camry. 1992-1996 Camrys had the best materials and higher content level then the '97-'01 Camrys. Plastics used in the interior are the hard and shiny variety, headrests no longer swivel back and forth but only up and down, when one closes the door of the '97-'01 Camrys there is no solid thunk but rather a hollow economy car feel. My Camry feels as solid as the day I picked up the car plus a few extra squeaks.
smile.gif
Interior is solid, door handles inside and out are not loose like the current batch of Camrys, Maximas, Accords, etc. Changing to U.S. suppliers is another decline in the quality of the overall product. I know Toyota still uses Denso as their major supplier in the U.S. There are more occurrences of problems with U.S. built Camrys as I have witnessed a few myself when visiting the dealership and friends that are Toyota mechanics. I have no data to back up engine and transmissions failing but knowing from Toyota mechanics is all I need to know. Lastly, overall built quality has gone down. Nothing major but misaligned body panels and loose screws is what I've witnessed from U.S. built Camrys. 2533a, the 3.0L is pretty much the same as back in '92 except for a few updates. Same block, same output. Molakule, Smyrna, Tenn plant in my opinion doesn't produce that good of a product. Yes, the pickups that are built there are actually pretty good but the Altima is still lacking in built quality. After living in Japan and Hong Kong for 10 years, owning Toyotas built in Japan definitely have given me excellent reliability. That is why I only buy Japanese built Toyotas. Nothing against U.S. built Toyotas. I just had great experiences with Japanese built Toyotas. Also, too cheap to experiment with U.S. built Toyotas since I'm not getting any younger and money is important.
smile.gif
There is definitely a difference in the overall quality of Toyotas being built in U.S. and Japan. I have come to the conclusion that Toyotas are bland but the built quality and reliability are still top notch if they are built in Japan. Probably will have to purchase a Lexus for my next vehicle.
smile.gif

Yes, you are correct 2533a. Technically, they are different if you take the alloy and iron block and slight increase in HP. But I still believe that is not enough for a totally different engine in terms of output and displacement. Toyota moving a long the lines of GM using tested tried and true concept. This move will hurt Toyota for the HP and displacement race that Nissan and Honda(soon to release next gen Accord) will definitely win. Of course, Toyota is not all about HP count.

As far as the replying to the original ?. Yes, you can safely switch, but as Patman reported, there shouldn't be no need to. Remember, the "W" designated the oil as a "Winter" oil and therefore, both the 5-30 and 10-30 suit you just fine. Unless you're in the artic....Sudbury and beyond...or MB or AB.....I wouldn't worry about using 10-30 all year and save on oil consumption....

So different metal but same basic design as the 92 V6 in mine. To answer a question from way back I started out in 92-95 using OEM Toyota filters as that was all that was available. When Amsoil began to produce (Hastings/Baldwin) a filter for the V6 I switched over to those. Have used the Amsoil filter ever since with 7500 mile oil and filter changes. 146,000 on engine. Still use the Amsoil 10W30 as when I switched at 1000 miles. I do note that the filter's anti drain back valves appear to be failing at about 4-6 months ( I am putting fewer miles on now and going beyond 6 months on oil changes to obtain the 7500 miles) which may be why Amsoil mandates that you change filters at 6 months. Uses just under a quart in 7500 miles. All original parts except for brakes,tires, some A/C parts, battery, hoses, belts, plugs. Original exhaust system, alternator, etc. Note, this engine has the power steering fluid drive the fan (not an electric fan) and this is also original.

Yea, I think the older Camry's are built better and that Japan builds better Toyotas then KY.

[ July 31, 2002, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Dr.T, you're right the difference isn't much. I'll probably stick with 10W30 weight and save my self a few pennies.
smile.gif
Spector, the auto industry is saying to us, "you want a good product, you pay for it." The Japanese carmakers are the best examples. They feel that the average joe wouldn't know the hard plastics, cheaper quality cloth trim, exposed screws etc. So why would Toyota give us a good high quality Camry when they can charge people thousands more for a Lexus ES300 for the same powertrain except for the luxurious interior. I really love that ES300 interior on the current gen.
smile.gif
Yes, I know the engine has slightly more HP but the same block and 5 speed Automatic. I really do feel our 92-96 Camrys can fit right in with the luxury brands in terms of materials used, fit and finish, and reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back