Good synthetic for pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm currently running Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2012 caravan with a wix filter. I've recently run past the warranty based on mileage so would like to get a better insite on a great quality oil to extend the drain intervals a bit more then what's in the manual. This is our main family vehicle in my household, many short trips to work and school, long family trips in the mountains, cold starts etc.

Manual calls for 5w30 for this model year. Would anyone recommend something else besides my current oil?

Mobil1 is a "great quality oil". If you want to extend oci, try a few UOA first so a baseline can be determined. You might find that sticking with what you have been doing is fine. If not, Mobi1 EP may be what you're looking for.

Oci right now is about 12,000km or so. Like to extend it closer to 20,000km to make it a once a year change.

What is the difference between the Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP

PU 5w30. It meets the Chrysler MS6395 spec, and is Pennzoil's top of the line product.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
PU 5w30. It meets the Chrysler MS6395 spec, and is Pennzoil's top of the line product.

Is there still an Ultra brand or is it Ultra Platinum?

Originally Posted By: zach1900

Ultra Platinum their top of the line, it's available. I refer to it as Ultra.

I am running the PUP 5w30 in the '14 and P4 5w30 in the '13.

I received the PUP from Gena/Pennzoil Team that was part of the promo their running...looking forward to seeing the first UOA on the PYB 5w30 I just sent in. I will post as soon as I get the results.

If you're a M1 guy...I would go with the M1 5w30 EP.

PU is hard to get In Canada (at least in Toronto). If he's close to the Washington border then he can probably get it easier in the US.

I'm running Pennzoil Platinum in my 2015 Grand Caravan.

Originally Posted By: JC1

PU is hard to get In Canada (at least in Toronto). If he's close to the Washington border then he can probably get it easier in the US.

I'm running Pennzoil Platinum in my 2015 Grand Caravan.

PU is hard to get here too. WMT has it online from time to time. The key is to stock up on it when they have it. PP will work well in the OP's application as well, and is easier to get, which would be worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
.............. great quality oil to extend the drain intervals a bit more then what's in the manual. .............

It costs very little to be able to go 1 year (regardless of mileage) in your usage patterns.
Put in Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w-30 and a longer life oil filter like a Fram Ultra or Royal Purple full-synthetic media oil filter.

Originally Posted By: AKA

I received the PUP from Gena/Pennzoil Team that was part of the promo their running...looking forward to seeing the first UOA on the PYB 5w30 I just sent in. I will post as soon as I get the results.

Hello!

Could you please let me know if the Pennzoil promo is still running? I'd like to get involved in the UOA program too

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
It costs very little to be able to go 1 year (regardless of mileage) in your usage patterns.
Put in Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w-30 and a longer life oil filter like a Fram Ultra or Royal Purple full-synthetic media oil filter.

There are no synthetic filters available for this application.

Originally Posted By: MoparMan1891
Originally Posted By: AKA

Hello!

Could you please let me know if the Pennzoil promo is still running? I'd like to get involved in the UOA program too

PM GenaFishbeck and see if its still going on.

I actually just spoke with her since this is a perfect opportunity for me to compare my Mobil 1 with their top of the line synthetics and she will be sending me out a sample kit along with their oil to be apart of the program.

PUP is very hard to find out here, but fingers crossed maybe ill get some sent to try!

Thank you for all the great info; been a lurker on this forum for quite some time, like to start getting more actively involved and better educated on oils.

I've ran Mobil 1 for years in different vehicles but if there is something better out there that can provide even better protection, I will happily give that a try. I plan to keep this van for quite some time as my two youngest kids are still in pull ups (toddlers)

Chrysler built a great engine in these new vans, and I hope it can stand up and last the life of the van.

Originally Posted By: _MAXIMUS_
PUP is very hard to find out here, but fingers crossed maybe ill get some sent to try!

This is why this is a bit of a song and dance, as it were. Is she going to send enough PUP to do trended UOAs? Or, are we just comparing one UOA of M1 to one UOA of PUP and hoping to find something meaningful there? It all seems a little astrological to me.

We know you'll never find PUP in Canada under any normal retail channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back