Good over the air tv antenna?

There are too many variables to answer this. Depends on how far your TV towers are, where you can/will mount the antenna, etc.

This works fine on our kitchen TV. Picks up all 6 OTA channels available and is mounted at waist height.

1711999104860.jpg

I made a Gray-Hoverman design antenna some (8?) years ago from a scrap of 2x4 and some suspended ceiling wire that I had on hand. Dimensions available online. Much to my neighbors' dismay, it's hanging from my chimney and still going strong.

Someday I'll add a second element pair or a backplane if I find a suitable refrigerator shelf or grill grate.

Well I have a smart tv and it has antenna cable connect port.
That doesn't answer either question.... TV towers could be 5 miles away or 55 miles away and require vastly different antennas. You might locate/mount the antenna on a built-in base behind your TV, in your attic, or on a tower outside and those will be different antennas.

My mom lives 60 miles north of a local TV station here in Houston.
I installed this outside powered antenna (link below) and she receives the channel clearly on good weather days.
YMMV

There are so many options and variables.
Are you looking for an inside or outside antenna?
How many televisions are you planning to connect to one antenna?
I have this outside antenna and it’s connected to three TVs. It’s stationary.
Check your reception with this 👇.

You never mentioned how far you are away from the towers, so I will give a general answer. For best results, an outside antenna mounted on your roof top works best.

Most channels are located on the UHF band, so you don't need something big. I use an old fashioned big VHF/UHF/FM antenna probably from the 70's. I rubbish picked it 10-12 years ago. I pickup about 69 channels and I am around 35-45 miles from the towers.

The bad thing about a digital tv signal, it either works great or not at all. That's why I miss analog. It never bothered me watching a distant station witha snowy picture.

Last edited:
There are too many variables to answer this. Depends on how far your TV towers are, where you can/will mount the antenna, etc.

Ok: inside antenna, bout 20-30 miles from towers. One tv. Don’t own house so options you mentioned are out.

Wal mart has RCA antenna and few others

Ok: inside antenna, bout 20-30 miles from towers. One tv. Don’t own house so options you mentioned are out.

Wal mart has RCA antenna and few others
With your situation, a set top antenna will work provided you do not have aluminum siding.

The bad thing about a digital tv signal, it either works great or not at all. That's why I miss analog. It never bothered me watching a distant station witha snowy picture.

I have enough experience. My dad cut to cord and bought this tiny little thing that claims to boost signals. I'm telling him that rabbit ears would probably work better, but most of the time it's fine. However, walking around can cause the signal to start pixelating and then come back. So he'll say to not stand here or there.

When I was a kid I remember when we replaced the cheesy looking galvanized steel antenna with a new one from Radio Shack. The previous one was tubular steel, but the new one was something else - looked kind a yellowish anodized aluminum and it kind of folded out. Most antennas in the neighborhood were mounted at a chimney.

If you want to bypass reception problems altogether pay the big bucks and get an ATSC 3 compatible TV or tuner (assuming there is a nearby station). Next Gen TV doesn’t seem to have the reception problems of normal tv.

If you insist on regular OTA
If your indoors on the 2nd story you can get away with a wall mounted antenna in most areas, you just won’t get every channel if there are hills and blocking objects.

I’ve always done best with the old full size Moku leaf flat “powered” antennas for walls.

But god only knows which indoor unit works best, seems to change year to year, I’ve had many pseudo indoor antennas over the years , only powered ones seem to work and they all have had a finite lifespan.
Also lots of so called indoor antennas are complete garbage unless your on top of the transmitter. Few realistically list the real range they work with.

The 70 mile unit looks more like a gimmick and is likely a 50 mile unit unless mounted in an ideal situation.

The antenna man has some decent reviews of various antennas, if you have the resources mount as high and big as possible with a rotar.

Last edited:
My mom lives 60 miles north of a local TV station here in Houston.
I installed this outside powered antenna (link below) and she receives the channel clearly on good weather days.
YMMV

That’s about what my Lava was hitting from the bay to the antenna farm near Missouri City - very clear and awesome for FM …
had to build a looper for AM (PVC/telephone wire) …

Back