Good low/no carb foods

I’ve decided I’m going to go either real low carbs or no carbs to help lose more weight. I’ve been enjoying more vegetables; and I actually like them more than I thought. I drink a lot of water throughout the day all the time also. Cutting way back on beer too since they have carbs and sugar.

Thank You folks

I use two things as an easy substitute for rice/pasta at family meals:

a) microwave a plate of spinach and put that under your steak/meatballs etc. instead of the potato, pasta, rice.

b) Same with riced cauliflower. You can diy it in a food processor or get frozen bags of it. It's a bit MORE like the pasta or other starch as it will soak up the sauce/flavor of the main dish and act more like traditional rice in this way. It's surprisingly good and no sacrifice at all.

These two things get 80% of daily carbs out of my diet and replace them with much more nutritious alternatives at little effort or sacrifice.

Adding in more vegetables is a great step. Meat is okay when prepared in healthier manners, but the big thing to watch out for is processed, fried, and most restaurant-prepared food. A lot of calories will be hidden in high fructose corn syrup and butter, and water retention from excessive salt doesn't help.

I would also download an app like MyFitnessPal so that you can track and visualize the food you're eating to better adjust your calorie intake, as well as your balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat (macros). When I first tracked my meals in college, I found it relatively easy to stay calorie deficient, but my macro balance was carbohydrate heavy and protein deficient.

Increasing your exercise will also give you more leeway with your diet. When you burn more calories than you intake, your body has to account for the missing energy from fat stores.

Figuring your basal metabolic rate will tell your how many calories you actually need to keep, gain, or maintain weight based on your size, age, and activity level. If you decrease your calorie intake by about 10% of your BMR per day, you'll lose about a pound of fat each week pretty reliably. MyFitnessPal can also keep track of this for you.

Low/no carb didn’t work for me. Not that I needed to loose weight, but rather wanted to see what’s all the hype about. I found it very hard to stay no carn two weeks in, didn’t feel right. I’ve selected to work out 3-4 times a week, eat regular (we always cook home and almost never eat fast food) and completely cut out alcohol. I’ve been AF for two months and I don’t remember when was the last time I’ve felt that good. Better sleep, better recovery, better nutrition. So if anything, give up on alcohol and see the weight to shed

Just cutting out some of those beers you post pics of would be a big help, it did me anyway. I started watching my carbs again about 4 months ago and lost 12 lbs on my last Dr visit just paying more attention to what I was consuming. I did walk a bit in the morning but now it's cold and I hate exercising in doors.

Good luck!

I’ve decided I’m going to go either real low carbs or no carbs to help lose more weight. I’ve been enjoying more vegetables; and I actually like them more than I thought. I drink a lot of water throughout the day all the time also. Cutting way back on beer too since they have carbs and sugar.

Thank You folks
First, I'd ask myself what's my baseline body composition? What's a good body fat percentage for me and what's my body weight at that body fat percentage? Let's say I'm currently at 25% body fat and I'd like to be at 17% where I once was. Lets say I need to lose 15lbs to get to my goal. 1 lbs of fat contains 3,500 kcal. That means I must burn 15x3,500 kcal or 52,500 kcal.

In order to burn body fat you must burn more calories than you take in. Let's say you need 2,500 kcal a day. You reduce your caloric intake to 1,500 kcal per day. You should roughly burn one pound of body fat every 3.5 days.

This works for people with a properly functioning metabolism. For those who have metabolic issues it gets a lot more complicated and they need to pay great attention to what they eat, when they eat, and how often they eat.

Low carb is certainly effective but so poorly defined that the term is meaningless without a number attached to it. I know people to whom 200 g carbs a day is low carb. For others 50g could be to much and will make weight loss impossible. I'd say start with no more than 50g of carbs a day. Over time you can assess how many carbs you can consume without gaining weight.

I'm certainly not against a good amount of protein and fat but you can overdo both. If you have kidney issues you should consult a nephrologist and a dietician as kidney damage causes clearing issues of protein that become eventually very serious.

No-carb foods are animal and plant protein and fat, and undigestible fibers. Look into konjac. Vegetables are mostly made from carbs but since they consist mostly of water they are, with some exceptions, simply not carb-dense. An example of a 0-carb food would be konjac.

Another thing: Don't starve yourself in an effort to lose weight. Your body is smart and will push your metabolism into energy conservation mode, making weight loss difficult.

Increased physical activity will boost your metabolism. Run 15 minutes every day. It will make a difference.

One more thing. If you are trying to lose weight, it's easier if your pancreas doesn't secrete insulin all day long. With intermittent fasting, shoot for at least 14 hours fasting during every 24-hour period, you are not exposed to the same quantities of insulin as if you were eating every couple hours. Insulin makes you store excess blood sugar as body fat. You will actually use your blood sugar up as energy source and after about 12 hours you will dip into your body fat for energy. That's why intermittent fasting can lead to consistent weight loss.

Last edited:
riced cauliflower
There are dozens of things you can do with riced cauliflower. And check out Veggiecraft riced cauliflower, similar to a box of rice. Really great stuff and makes an excellent risotto.

Eggs! They're delicious and you can eat them at any meal or a snack. I have 2 scrambled every morning for breakfast and then have hardboiled on a salad or alone as a snack. Almonds and other nuts are good too, but you need to be careful with portion size since they have a lot of calories in a small amount.

when I was losing a ton of weight on keto I would make egg omelets with spinach and feta all the time.

Now, I just grill a piece of meat, and eat it with a microwaved bag of steamable broccoli with butter, salt and pepper.

Back in 2003 I did seven months of eating only meat, fish, cheese, eggs, cream, nuts, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, lettuce, green beans, eggplant, olive oil, and tomatoes. I kept my daily net carbs below 25 grams and lost 43 pounds. I was never hungry on these high fat, high fiber, low carb foods and lost weight steadily every week. At the end of this period my total cholesterol remained the same while my triglycerides went down 75% and my HDL went up 60%. I still revert to very low carbs whenever I need to shed a few pounds, especially after the holidays.

Back in 2003 I did seven months of eating only meat, fish, cheese, eggs, cream, nuts, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, lettuce, green beans, eggplant, olive oil, and tomatoes. I kept my daily net carbs below 25 grams and lost 43 pounds. I was never hungry on these high fat, high fiber, low carb foods and lost weight steadily every week. At the end of this period my total cholesterol remained the same while my triglycerides went down 75% and my HDL went up 60%. I still revert to very low carbs whenever I need to shed a few pounds, especially after the holidays.
I can assume you still live and eat a fairly low Carb lifestyle without or any garbage or processed food. Net carbs at 25g is getting it done.

I can assume you still live and eat a fairly low Carb lifestyle without or any garbage or processed food. Net carbs at 25g is getting it done.
I believe that obesity is a bigger health factor than which foods you eat. I focus on maintaining my weigh at or below a BMI of 25, and adjust my carb intake accordingly. A limit of 25 grams of carbs a day is VERY difficult to maintain and probably not very healthy, but I did it for just seven months to get my weight in line.

I am still "low carb" in that I avoid sugars and carefully regulate my consumption of starches, but I do eat a wide variety of foods. I grow my own vegetables organically, but I am not fanatical. At 71 I am in the final stretch and enjoying my life is top priority. My philosophy is to eat whatever gives me pleasure so long as I control the larger factors of maintaining a healthy weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol level. Food and wine are among of my greatest pleasures and I am not willing to sacrifice my favorite foods because the latest "study" says something I eat will kill me 30 years from now. I just wait for the next contradicting study. 😁

What’s the word on apples? I know they have natural sugar in them. Thinking I may do half the 1/2 scoop of oatmeal when I make my overnight oats. Suggestions welcome. Big thanks to #18FAN and vavavroom and all the advice and info 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍😍

What’s the word on apples? I know they have natural sugar in them. Thinking I may do half the 1/2 scoop of oatmeal when I make my overnight oats. Suggestions welcome. Big thanks to #18FAN and vavavroom and all the advice and info 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍😍

I think half a apple will be fine. Adding it to your oatmeal? Don’t forget the cinnamon.

Back