Good forum, bad forum

I'm a member on over 1,000 auto related forums and probably the biggest problem is there are too many of them for the same car. Who needs six different Chevy Cruze forums, six Ford Ranger forums or eight F150 forums.
Over 1000 different forums?? That seems hard to believe.

ClubLexus.com There is some really good help, and then there are people who hate you for suggesting servicing a Toyota transmission. I do not rely on them for help. That is what BITOG is for.

CorvetteForum.com Lars Grimsrud. The Man.
This. The CorvetteForum.com has saved me tons of money in the past 30 years. The last fix was the automatic shifter fix on a C6 Corvette. The Corvette owners on the forum are extremely knowledgeable for any year of Corvette.

Attachments

• FNxG1afLSbS3SJyp%lllTw.jpg
    FNxG1afLSbS3SJyp%lllTw.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 3
Agree regards to the Corvette Forum. Been a member for over 20 years. Excellent forum.
Lots of good members willing to help. Alot of laughs there too.

Agree regards to the Corvette Forum.
Which one?

One thing about forums: Almost all of them were much, much busier ten or fifteen years ago. I could make a list as long as my arm of good forums that are now just a shell of their former selves.
It's not just auto forums, but lots of other dedicated forums. On many forums, people aged out and stopped using the internet entirely. Others lost interest in that forum.

Social media and special apps took over for many younger people, who look on old-style forums like this one as obsolete. They'll pose a question on the likes of Facebook instead of seeking a forum with experts, and I don't understand this.

I'm glad for the active forums that are still around. Some of you might remember I was away from BITOG for several years before returning last year.

It's not just auto forums, but lots of other dedicated forums. On many forums, people aged out and stopped using the internet entirely. Others lost interest in that forum.

Social media and special apps took over for many younger people, who look on old-style forums like this one as obsolete. They'll pose a question on the likes of Facebook instead of seeking a forum with experts, and I don't understand this.
You're 100% correct. I am on music forums, sports forums, photography forums.... They're all struggling.

I am one one of those 1000 auto forums that Atikovi is also a member of. Every six months or so, someone asks: Why is the forum so dead? The answer usually is, the fifteen or so overlapping and/or competing Facebook groups that sprung up have taken its place. And with them comes Facebook's horrible archiving and search capabilities. The community element that made the forum strong is gone.

Honda Odyssey (odyclub.com) very good forum, plenty of traffic, good S/N ratio

Honda Accord (driveaccord.net) OK, lots of chaff

Ford Fusion... still looking, but it looks like there is not a good forum
Odyclub is really good. I think it's partly because it's made up of .... minivan owners, not 17 year olds, people who buy new-to-them cars every 18 months, etc.

DriveAccord is okay but there are 2-4 longtime members (and staff) who are beyond arrogant. There's very much a "boy's club" there.

If you have a 2013+ Fusion, try 2GFusions.net. It's pretty good but is slowly losing traffic, it seems. The website was out of service for 2-3 days (or longer) and no one seemed to care or notice. Well, someone mentioned it on a Fusion Facebook page and I was the only person that responded. When it did return, there was nothing mentioned at the forum either.

and probably the biggest problem is there are too many of them for the same car.
It is a problem but too many people don't seem to grasp the issue. They think it's ideal to have a forum dedicated only for 8th-generation Honda Civics, for example, but don't realize how restricted they are making their potential audience.

lxforums used to be what I liked for the 300. Haven't been there for awhile. Been on autopia detail forum since 03. Little traffic since autogeek arrived. Autopia always allows comments on competitor's products.

That was the very first forum that I posted on substantially! I joined that forum back in 2008 or so, I still remember one guy’s name Analogeezer. I could never figure out how to pronounce his forum name or if it was lewd or not. Great group of guys! I detailed an entire thread about replacing my very first car engine there!

The auto forums have been a blessing to me and countless others.

I typically deal with a bit older non collector vehicles. What I currently find frustrating on the auto forums is posters not returning to share what the "fix" was. I will have to say most of these forums threads currently focus on and get activity from cosmetic and vanity vehicle issues- not true troubleshooting.

So I've owned a few cars in the Internet Age. And I've received a lot of help from model-specific internet forums. But these forums are not all equal. I think it's best when you have one undisputed best forum for a model, rather than having several sites that spread out the expertise. And what is key is having a forum with regulars that are willing to get involved and try to answer questions. I think a car that appeals to more "mature" buyers will have a better forum, for my needs at least, than a car with younger owners. The worst forums have little good advice and most postings are just drive-bys that ask a question and you never find out if it's been resolved. Forums for more obscure models are often better than forums for popular cars. So here I will rate forums that I have known, from best to worst (some opinions are probably outdated):

Mazda MPV (mpvclub.com) good forum, needs more traffic

What has been your experience?
I was very involved in MPVclub.com for a number of years, when I owned a 1st-gen MPV. Excellent and knowledgeable group of members.

The last MY of 1st-gen MPV in NA was 1998, and I very seldom see one anymore.

I didn't use the 2nd-gen section, but the last MY for those vans (here in North America) was 2006, and they too are now rare.

The Mazda5 section of the forum never really took off.

Then the forum got badly hacked, and a lot of very good old posts were lost. And then a lot of Spam started showing up.

But I guess these things have a finite life - fewer of the specific vehicles on the road, traffic drops off, forum becomes less relevant ...

Reactions: GON
But I guess these things have a finite life - fewer of the specific vehicles on the road, traffic drops off, forum becomes less relevant ...
Exactly... That's why I mentioned the example of an entire forum dedicated to 4-5 years of one car model. It's foolish and short-term thinking.

Exactly... That's why I mentioned the example of an entire forum dedicated to 4-5 years of one car model. It's foolish and short-term thinking.
Well some can last although maybe they're going through a slow death. Contour.org is still around, car was only made between 1995-2000 then it was discontinued and I don't even see them on the roads much anymore, a rare one here and there.

Well some can last although maybe they're going through a slow death. Contour.org is still around, car was only made between 1995-2000 then it was discontinued and I don't even see them on the roads much anymore, a rare one here and there.
How many active members do they have nowadays though ? How many new comments do they get ? Looking at that example, it had (2) new posts yesterday, (4) on Friday, (5) on Thursday, and so on. "going through a slow death", as you say.... I'm not going to dig into it but I'll bet between those (11) posts, 1-2 members were involved too.

Again, there's nothing wrong with super-specific forums like that. They simply can't last though.

Agreed. The MPVclub forum had a good long run because the Gen 1 went for 10 model years, and the vans tended to very long-lasting.

But ideally it would have been a subsection of a broader Mazda site or a minivan site.

Back