Good electric crimps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
6 ga wire, 80A.

Did it over a few times, but tight enough?

How do you know when it is right?

41d90fbb.jpg

85235934.jpg

Went to the local professional electrical supply, and picked up a few of these:

7b2e6a8b.jpg

As well as 130C electrical tape.

Question is, these are longer than most butt splices I've seen. How many crimps do I want to put along the barrel?

517cae2c.jpg

Thanks again for helping me learn this! I just don't trust my soldering skills enough to be sure I'll do a good job on such a hard to access and critical part.

I don't care too much for the crimp. When size gets that big you want a different crimper. They make one you hit with a hammer that works good.

Technically you're supposed to crimp it so that the dimples are on the other side of the connector. (The side that doesn't have the split down the middle).

For bigger wires (8 gauge or bigger) I usually just put it in a vice and crank it down. It clamps down way harder than any crimpers or pliers will.

I think it would be a good idea to have the open spaces between the wires and the crimp to be filled with solder. I do not know what kind of mega soldering iron that one would need though. Without that it will start corroding again.

the dent goes opposite the cut. that size needs a bigger tool. go to advance auto, get a dorman 86263, about $24.xx worth every penny. a very good crimpper. a thread here before had some of the best instruction you could ever want. and listed other brands that are at lest as good as mine or better.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
With open ended cable lug terminals like that I would heat it up with a mini torch and put some solder in there.

Yeah. Always better.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

When it is soldered.

Good enough.

BMW didnt think it was worth soldering, though the entire cable is in a rubber shell and the terminations at the alternator are actually in a plastic enclosure...

But look at the cable in my other thread.

If it was soldered and sealed, would the cable look like that?

Granted it is 20 years old...

When it is soldered.
Yes, solder it. Reduces stress concentrations. John--Las Vegas

Originally Posted By: Torino

When it is soldered.
Yes, solder it. Reduces stress concentrations. John--Las Vegas

Unfortunately I didnt have the gear. Could always re-do it in the end with the right tools. Needed to get functional faster though...

Originally Posted By: JetStar
If you do solder it, don't let the solder wick up the wire. It will crack. Most aviation applications are not soldered for this reason.

Automotive applications should not be soldered for the same reason.

That butt connector you have looks like it has some seals in the end ?
I don't know what your crimper is, the one i have from Greenlee (KP1022D) and it rated 10-22 Ga.

Soldering the spice is ideal but not the connector, in areas of vibration like on an alternator cracking can be an issue.
I was taught in these areas a good crimp is preferable.

I understand your problem, no heavy soldering equipment and you sure don't want to be near the rest of the harness with a blow torch.
Quote:
BMW didnt think it was worth soldering

I always thought solder was better until i learned different from an electrician, crimps are fine if they are strong.
You may want to get a stronger crimp tool though if yours is too light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back