Good cleaner/degreaser for soaking aluminum parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not made of time, here
wink.gif
laugh.gif

A friend told me that the B9 Chem-Dip, while corrosive, will usually take ALL of the carbon, funk, and gunk off in a VERY short time, thus you can get it out and rinsed before it can have any effect on the metal. Might be worth a try, I guess. I'll have to rinse the stuff out really well though.

Looked over Orison's other products. They have other interesting stuff for us BITOGers too.

By the way, hot tanking as an automotive rebuilder would do is for iron-based parts only such as most engine blocks and crankshafts. The solvent used eats aluminum. Many books on blueprinting and other engine mods warn about not hot tanking aluminum parts such as pistons and most modern engine heads.

Wonder if one of BITOG's sponsors might be interested in stocking small amounts of the appropriate Orison products? Pabs, maybe?... No kidding, as I'm sure a number of BITOGers do work on their vehicles as PulMax is doing.

2 suggestions. Dishwashers are the poor mans jet spray tank. Your wife may want to kill you later for using it, but results are undeniable. A pressure washer/carwash and soapy water work wonders as well.

The parts are in the dishwasher now.

What I did:
-soak for a couple hours in straight simple green
-brush
-soak some more
-brush
-quick dunk in the simple green
-hose parts down with CRC Throttle Body cleaner
-brush/wipe
-more CRC
-strong rinse with the hose and a presure attachment
-dishwasher + dish soap

I hope it turns out okay. and I REALLY hope the dishwasher doesn't smell bad when I'm done.

Quote:

The parts are in the dishwasher now.

I hope it turns out okay. and I REALLY hope the dishwasher doesn't smell bad when I'm done.

The only problem i see is that if there was much carb cleaner left on the parts it could melt the plastic covering on the diswasher rack.

Carb cleaner and plastic dont make a good team, as i found out the hard way
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back