Berryman's B12 chemtool /fuel system cleaner and piston soak precaution?

Kql

Pertaining to piston soaks I've concluded that this product is the most effective to dissolve hard carbon deposits on piston tops, but I remember reading somewhere on berryman's own site that it should not be used for more than a few hours due to coated aluminum being damaged by the soak, also reading literally hundreds of posts where people seem compulsive on letting it sit for 8+ hours or "overnight" , also a concern of mine is does it liquify hard carbon of does it just release the carbon in chunks, carbon by it's very nature is HARD. is this a concern on all those aluminum pistons/cylinder walls, I'd hate to gouge them. I guess in summation, is berryman's really they safest, most effective piston soak?
Thanks people

is that stuff as good as seafoam or the others? i know its cheaper for sure but does it do anything?
From what I've gathered, Seafoam isn't as harsh as it contains some petroleum, b12 supposedly doesn't have any .

is that stuff as good as seafoam or the others? i know its cheaper for sure but does it do anything?
B-12 is much more of a solvent. Seafoam is just some oil mixed with alcohol.
I have tried piston soakes on saturns with b-12. It does clean, but I don't think piston soakes in general do much.

Doing a piston soak with B12 in my Prius over the course of 2 days using 3 cans of B12 solved the oil burning in my Prius completely. From 1 quart per 750-1000 miles to almost nothing in 5000 miles. Prius engines are $200 locally and I already had a spare so I really didn't care if I killed it but it's still running strong and shows no signs of damage.

B12 flashes off VERY quickly. My combustion chambers were dry after 2 hours even with threading the spark plugs back in, which is why I just kept filling the combustion chambers with B12 until I ran out.

As far as the carbon chunks -- no idea, but the oil I drained out after doing the piston soak was absolutely pitch black.

Sounds like a good amount was seeping through the rings into the crankcase.
I actually threaded the spark plugs back in and gently turned the engine over by the crank pulley bolt specifically for that purpose. I wanted it to get down to the oil control rings. I could hear and feel it being forced past the rings.

Doing a piston soak with B12 in my Prius over the course of 2 days using 3 cans of B12 solved the oil burning in my Prius completely. From 1 quart per 750-1000 miles to almost nothing in 5000 miles. Prius engines are $200 locally and I already had a spare so I really didn't care if I killed it but it's still running strong and shows no signs of damage.

B12 flashes off VERY quickly. My combustion chambers were dry after 2 hours even with threading the spark plugs back in, which is why I just kept filling the combustion chambers with B12 until I ran out.

As far as the carbon chunks -- no idea, but the oil I drained out after doing the piston soak was absolutely pitch black.
awesome

$200 or $2,000?! The 2azfe is is an expensive engine, I'm talking a few thousand, even with 100k miles, I don't get it.

$200 or $2,000?! The 2azfe is is an expensive engine, I'm talking a few thousand, even with 100k miles, I don't get it.
$200. The 1NZ-FXE is a CHEAP engine. I don't know why it's so cheap, but I have a local salvage yard that sells COMPLETE 1NZ-FXE engines with 150k miles for $200. I can only figure they're so cheap because when the Gen 2 priuses get wrecked a lot of people really wanted Gen 3 priuses because they looked nicer.

2AZFE on ebay is about $1400 which seems about right for a modern low-tech 4cyl. Gen 3 Prius 2ZR engines are about the same.

Last edited:
Back