Good bye Sunoco...exiting the refining business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunoco to Exit Refining Business

Sunoco Inc. plans to exit its refining business and launched a review to determine the best way to maximize the potential of its logistics and retail businesses.

The company has begun a process to sell its refineries in Philadelphia and Marcus Hook, Pa., but will idle the facilities' main processing units in July 2012 if a suitable deal cannot be implemented.

"We have made progress in increasing the efficiency of our refineries over the last several years, but given the unacceptable financial performance of these assets, it is clear that it is in the best interests of shareholders to exit this business and focus on our profitable retail and logistics businesses," said Chairman and Chief Executive Lynn L. Elsenhans.

Sunoco will book a third-quarter pretax charge of $1.9 billion to $2.2 billion related to impairment of the plant and equipment in the refineries. If the processing units are idled, additional pretax charges of up to $500 million may be incurred. Once the refineries are sold or idled, the company expects to record a pretax gain from the liquidation of its crude oil and refined product inventories, valued at about $2 billion at current market prices.

The company hired Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC to assist in the review process.

Sunoco last month reported a second-quarter loss amid weak refining revenue and a large write-down from the sale of its Philadelphia chemicals plant. For the second quarter in a row, Sunoco became the only U.S. refiner to report a net loss. Most U.S. refiners have posted improving earnings this year as a widening price spread between two types of crude oil helped boost industry margins. Sunoco missed out on the windfall in the first quarter, however, after widespread refinery outages.

Earnings in Sunoco's retail business fell 5.5% absent a favorable litigation settlement from last year, while earnings jumped 80% in the logistics business on expanded crude-oil volumes and revenue from recent acquisitions.

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services, Fitch Ratings and Moody's Investors Service all recently downgraded Sunoco debt a notch into junk territory, saying the refiner's spinoff of steel-coke unit SunCoke Energy Inc. hurt its business diversification.

I thought they've been pretty much out of the refining business for years anyway?

There's a huge Sunoco tank farm, blending & distribution plant in my area. This area/plant did do some refining many years ago.

It would be interesting to know why others are profitable and these arent. It is also interesting to note that they took over the Coastal (was Gulf before that) refinery in Paulsboro, NJ, but didnt mention it here.

Sounds like they are ditching the hard work..making gasoline..and focusing on, what they call "maximize the potential of its logistics and retail businesses"

In plain English..they make more money selling condoms, candy-bars and beer than refining and selling gasoline. So they will model the "Racetrace" "Starven Marvin" and other gas stations.

I miss the old Sunoco 260..company went down the drain after they stopped blending fuel at the pump.

I used to use Sunoco 260 ("Highest octane gas made") in the 60's in my muscle car. My girlfriend used to put the S&H Greenstamps in the little books they gave you and we kept them in the glovebox. The blending at the pump was cool. 190 grade straight, 260 grade straight, or a mix inbetween.

I know that Sunoco used to have a pretty large terminal in Exton, PA along with a company owned station right there on Rt 30, (across the street from the beer distributor LOL) with pretty good pas prices back a decade ago.

I agree with some others even though they were minor players in the refinery business each time there is less refining capacity you know these greedy oil folks will jack the prices for fuel up !

Just because they sell of the refineries doesn't mean the refinery will close down. I really doubt they will close the refinery. Someone else will buy it and run it, if they think they can make a buck.

Originally Posted By: bruno
I thought Paulsboro was Mobil ?

Maybe at one time... When a good friend's gradfather retired from there it was Gulf, when I started driving by it and paying attention it was Coastal, and since it has become Sunoco.

Im sure there have been others mixed in there. We have started to have Valero popping up in the area, and IIRC their real business is refining.

Originally Posted By: callbay
I used to use Sunoco 260 ("Highest octane gas made") in the 60's in my muscle car. My girlfriend used to put the S&H Greenstamps in the little books they gave you and we kept them in the glovebox. The blending at the pump was cool. 190 grade straight, 260 grade straight, or a mix inbetween.
Ditto, that 100 octane $0.22/ gal was great in my old Torino SCJ. Plenty of lead too. That street racing was certainly safer than drive-by shootings. Wanna drag that dog? John--Las Vegas.

hmm....My favourite Turkey Hill gas station sell Sunoco gas, I wonder what they will replace it with?

Around here (NY and other states) we get discounts at Sunoco by buying food and stuff at Price Chopper. I do not eat enough to save a lot, but they also allow gift cards to count, and I buy Amazon & EBAY ones.

So once every other month I get $2.00 off /gallon on up to 20 gallons.

So if I was going to buy something on EBAY for example (like a plasma cutter last fall) I just buy gift cards at Price Chopper (with my credit card) to pay for it rather than directly out of my credit card.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Around here (NY and other states) we get discounts at Sunoco by buying food and stuff at Price Chopper. I do not eat enough to save a lot, but they also allow gift cards to count, and I buy Amazon & EBAY ones.

So once every other month I get $2.00 off /gallon on up to 20 gallons.

So if I was going to buy something on EBAY for example (like a plasma cutter last fall) I just buy gift cards at Price Chopper (with my credit card) to pay for it rather than directly out of my credit card.

Same here in NH w/ Price Chopper..

re: gift cards, That's a great idea! Never thought about doing that, Thanks for posting it.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
I thought Sunoco was mainly a refiner. I guess not?

We used to have sunoco stations around here until very recently. There still are some.

But around here we have next to no brand-name stations anymore. A few shell and a few BP, that's it. Its all US gas, Valero, Spirit, Wawa, etc.

We do have Gulf, but Im not sure it is "brand name" anymore...

Hello, An old no-name station was updated near friends in Paramus, NJ (Forest Ave.) and the Sunoco sign is up. In a way it really doesn't matter. I was always told that gas was shipped locally from the closest final refinery. Only the fractions needed are piped to a region-jet fuel(kero),gas and heating oil type fractions in the case of the tri-state area. It was referred to as legalized, but necessary, collusion due to the nature of the business. Also, I thought Valero's business was pipelines (biggest in the world) Kira

Hey folks,

I think there are some misleading posts here. From reading the press release, it doesn't appear that Sunoco gas stations will be closing down. It just appears that Sunoco will buy their base stock from elsewhere instead of producing it on their own.

Without your own upstream crude supply, refining is not the most profitable part of the oil business. Chevron got the upstream part of Unocal and I'm not sure ConocoPhillips was smart in buying only refining and marketing. Shell has sold or closed refineries, such as Bakersfield, CA, when the crude was depleted.

Sunoco stations were never on the West Coast, but drums of racing fuel are sold here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back