Good bye Sunoco...exiting the refining business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey............

Isnt gas is gas is gas?

whistle.gif

Quote:
hmm....My favourite Turkey Hill gas station sell Sunoco gas, I wonder what they will replace it with?

Turkey Hill is Kroger. Id say they keep using whatever refiner that Sunoco turns into. That, or they find the cheapest no-name gas
whistle.gif

gas is gas is gas ?

Kroger in these parts uses Marathon, BP, even Shell depending on who is cheaper. I've been told that additives in the fuel (gasoline) are the only difference between Kroger & the name brands.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Kroger in these parts uses Marathon, BP, even Shell depending on who is cheaper. I've been told that additives in the fuel (gasoline) are the only difference between Kroger & the name brands.

Correct. the base gas is generally according to EPA law.

The additives are what make it better or not. If you keep a car past 100k, the EPA minimum is not enough. Use a top tier or similar fuel (BP, Sunoco, Gulf, etc.). Or use dosed fuel additives like Technron or Redline with any fuel.

If you don't keep a car that long. Doesn't matter to you.
Carbon buildup is real problem that doesn't beomce appranet until the car has been around awhiile.

Much easier to remove during than after.

Originally Posted By: ffracer

The additives are what make it better or not. If you keep a car past 100k, the EPA minimum is not enough. Use a top tier or similar fuel (BP, Sunoco, Gulf, etc.). Or use dosed fuel additives like Technron or Redline with any fuel.

I call horse pokey on this one. I typically buy the cheapest gas I can find. No name, named, shady stations, well lit stations, whatever. Have been doing this since I got my first car in 1992.

First car I sent it to the junkyard with 175k on it. Engine started every time, ran 100%. The body was rusting away.

Next car I traded with 75k on it and no issues there.

3rd car went to 98k with no issues

Wife's car has 106k and no engine issues and she does the same thing. When I had the intake manifold off (it's an Escape and the IM gaskets needed replacing which is a common issue with the Ford 3.0) there was little carbon build up.

Any gas will be fine for the life of your car. Unless you have some other issue (bad PCV, excessive blowby, etc) your valves will stay clean. Unless you like spending more $$ on marketing or additives.

Top Tier is nothing more than a marketing group to get you to buy their gas.

Last edited:
North Eastern U.S. refineries "are dropping like flies"

Quote:
In recent years we lost refineries in Westville, NJ, and Yorktown, Va. A large refinery in southeastern Pennsylvania was shut down in December as was one in New Jersey. A third large Philadelphia refinery is up for sale and will be closed in July if no buyer can be found...

When refinery closings come together with the traditional winter-spring increase in gasoline prices we could be looking at some never-before-seen gasoline prices in the $4-5 a gallon range before the year is out. Five dollar gasoline means diesel could be well north of $5 when the effect of the global diesel shortage is considered.

frown.gif

knocking on wood that the local 125yr old refinery stays running...they claim to supply 25%of the gas sold in Ohio.

originally it was (1886)Solar Refining Company (a subsidiary of Standard Oil), then (1931)SOHIO(Standard oil of OHIO), Then (1987)BP, then (1998)Clark,then (2000)Premcor, Then (2005)Valero, Now,(2007)Husky.
this is the refinery where they first figured out how to Distill the Sulfur out of "Sour" Crude (high sulfur, the oil found here literally smelled like rotten eggs)

Not around here where their price for 86 is the same as everyone elses's price for 87. Easy to see, everything is posted. Can't miss it.

The huge east coast 7-11 type convenience store chain ...Cumberland Farms sells Gulf, which seems to be ok. Got a Camry I4 with well over 200K on it and most of the time it gets "Cumby's" 87 gas. First Tier??? Who knows. New owners of the local "Extra Mart" sell Mobil and meet Cumby's price. Mobil might be better, if it is it's in the additive package. My bike likes the Mobil 93 though. Pretty funny that a top shelf gas for fuel injected cars also works well in old Bing carbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What, no more "86" octane for the price of other guys 87?

94 ULTRA!!! For the cars that need 87!!! Which is almost ALL cars!!

lol.gif
I wont miss them. I knew it was "good gas" but gas is gas,is,gas.

How does Shell and BP get off their "cleaner gas" claims? And whars up with Shell Nitrogen?

Originally Posted By: itguy08

I call horse pokey on this one. I typically buy the cheapest gas I can find. No name, named, shady stations, well lit stations, whatever. Have been doing this since I got my first car in 1992.

First car I sent it to the junkyard with 175k on it. Engine started every time, ran 100%. The body was rusting away.

Wife's car has 106k and no engine issues and she does the same thing. When I had the intake manifold off (it's an Escape and the IM gaskets needed replacing which is a common issue with the Ford 3.0) there was little carbon build up.

Any gas will be fine for the life of your car. Unless you have some other issue (bad PCV, excessive blowby, etc) your valves will stay clean. Unless you like spending more $$ on marketing or additives.

In your opinion. Depends a lot on what you have and how you drive it and what you used. So, you have nothing to show for where you bought fuel, but make gross generalizations. did you look at the valves or the injectors? Have you measured anything or is this seat of the pants?

In both mfg testing (look at SAE papers) and fleet use (I have personal experience as do many others), there are plenty of facts from actual testing to back up the need for more additives. No oil companies sponsored research either.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

In your opinion. Depends a lot on what you have and how you drive it and what you used. So, you have nothing to show for where you bought fuel, but make gross generalizations. did you look at the valves or the injectors? Have you measured anything or is this seat of the pants?

In both mfg testing (look at SAE papers) and fleet use (I have personal experience as do many others), there are plenty of facts from actual testing to back up the need for more additives. No oil companies sponsored research either.

Pffffffffft, don't let facts get in the way of a strong opinion
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back