Good but inexpensive tools?

LDB

I have no tools basically. I'm adding a second horn to my new car and want to do it myself. Is there such a thing as good but comparatively inexpensive tools? I'd love a large cabinet full of SO or Mac etc. but don't have a winning lotto ticket. So are there brands worth considering and who sells them. I'm near Houston and not too farm from smaller country towns that have TSC etc. as well so I probably can get to about anywhere. Thanks for any recommendations.

I personally think anything with lifetime warranty and good reviews is fine. Craftsman, duralast, harbor freight, etc.

I'll get crap for saying it, but unless you're a professional mechanic, these will do fine. And if you use it enough to break, then you should invest in a better one

If you can wait a few months, Lowes puts this Kobalt tool kit on sale for $99 around Black Friday through New Years Day every year. It is a nice set with 90 teeth ratchets and has a lifetime warranty that is easy to claim nationwide. The storage case is blow-molded, but unlike its competition in this price range, the hinge pins and latches are metal, not fragile plastic. Lowes and Home Depot won't be going bankrupt in our lifetime.

1717495864279.jpg

Last edited:
Tekton.

Really good quality tools, and at an attractive price. Many made in the US.

I would buy directly from them. They offer a 10% rewards program, spend $100, get a $10 credit for future purchases.

Last edited:
eBay. Cheap and some used tools that are made in USA, The vintage ones are best where cut back in quality were not the norm of yesteryears. eBay that's where I go when I need some. Read the description and observe the picture of the item, there are some used tools made in China that looks vintage.

Last edited:
Tekton.

Really good quality tools, and at an attractive price. Many made in the US.

I would buy directly from them. They offer a 10% rewards program, spend $100, get a $10 credit for future purchases.

I like Tekton quite a bit. Wilde is who actually makes most of their USA made tools, but they are generally easier to find and cheaper when Tekton branded..

Your going to get X+1 opinions, where X is the number of people replying to this thread.

I agree with @skyactiv - buy on sale or at minimum as needed.

There is no reasonably priced tool maker that makes good everything. Harbor Freight sockets and wrenches will often get you by, but there screwdrivers and plyers are outright terrible.

Kobalt from Lowes is the same as Craftsman and usually on sale for less.

Tekton is the best overall in this class at this point IMHO, but there getting expensive as well. Gear Wrench is a good option also.

I'll add one thing. I have fixed everything under the sun with not that many tools. If your not a Pro, you can get by with a pretty basic kit, and then just buy the specialty stuff as needed for an upcoming job. Pro's don't have that luxury. The car can't sit in the bay while they run to Lowes for a tool, or wait for Tekton to deliver one.

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I'm 67 and will be a very basic user so I'm going to look at some of the more basic sets, maybe a 3/8 set as a good starter. I may do this horn installation and not do anything else. And I will only be doing anything that happens in an upright position. My crawling under vehicles days are past. Thanks again for the great responses. I'm on a few good tracks for my research.

I have a Tekton metric 1/4 socket set and added a Nepros ratchet and a small cheapo swivel head ratchet.
Pretty darn handy. When the time comes, you can add in a Tekton 1/4 torque wrench.

As others have posted, get started with what you need and build from there.
By the way, I hate junk tools. There is some decent cheaper stuff out there.

I've had great luck with Tekton and Sunnex tools, usually buy them from Amazon.

I've pretty much stopped buying tools from Harbor Freight, unless I need a cheap wrench to grind down or cut in half to make a special tool.

Back