Good Article On Glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/04/13/glo...ekly+Newsletter

Regardless if you like Glock's or not. This article brings home some very good points. Especially in regard to magazines. For example, I didn't know that few, if any of the Springfield XD magazines between the, XD, XDm and XDm mod 2, would not interchange. That's just nuts, to have to run out and replace a bunch of expensive magazines, because you happened to upgrade to the next generation of the same pistol.

Several other manufacturers are guilty of the same thing. Mostly in an effort to get you as the consumer to spend more money on new magazines. When in fact they could have just as easily designed the next generation of their pistols to accept the same magazines.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say, "Why Buy Anything Besides A Glock?", I have to agree that keeping that guns features standard through over 30 years of production has certainly helped it's sales and success. Not to mention fewer parts that can be replaced by most anyone. I doubt that with the exception of perhaps the AR-15 platform of rifles, there is another firearm currently in production that can make that claim. The success of Glock certainly proves that, if it proves anything.

Glocks are well designed, ergonomic, simple to operate, reliable, reasonably accurate, durable and consistent. They were also brilliantly marketed in the early days. Despite the stupidity of the claims made by politicians and pundits, that "plastic guns will go through a metal detector", that negative press and hype only served to bring attention to the Glock.

They make great pistols. That's why I own six...or is it seven?

I am not really a "fanboy" of Glocks, they have some shortcomings but I do appreciate them for what they are. I have carried and trusted one to defend my life for decades without the slightest concern. They have a LOT going for them (Astro14 summed it up nicely) and it's near impossible to "go wrong" with a Glock IMO.

All my duty Glocks will be passed down to my sons so I'm going to have to get at least one more, you just CAN'T be without any Glocks.

I never consider magazine-swapping, when shopping for a new pistol. If you like Glocks, then interchanging the magazines should have nothing to do with your purchase. 95% of gun carriers nowadays carry one magazine..... it's the one that's already inserted in the handgun. We only need one magazine anyways, even at the range. I enjoy letting the handgun have a minute of rest while I reload the magazine.

Unless you are a cop or have a mental sickness that the Zombie Apocalypse is only moments away, one magazine is enough. The average Joe-Blow personal protection conflict statistically ends with only two shots fired. CPL/CCW owners nowadays need a gun to protect themselves, not the National Bank that's being robbed, as you look.

The bank has plenty of insurance for thefts. Don't get involved and leave it to the real Police. So one magazine - the one that's in your gun, is all you need for up-close personal protection.

Go Glock!

Last edited:
I carried Glocks for a number of years, and have owned just about every model out there at one point. I can say for my preferences, I've evolved to other platforms. They still work great for most though. The mag modularity is a plus, but the [censored] trigger, sights, and bad ergos have become deal breakers for me. Other platforms have paid attention to these areas and made improvements to say the least. That and the fact I couldn't get a 3rd Gen G22 to run right with a WML, and I wasn't the only one, some LEOs had the same issue. I also had a G30sf that would FTRB, wife loved it, but I wouldn't run right either. Come to find out the larger framed glocks had some issues with this. Still own a Vickers G19 though, great gun, after some mods.
cool.gif

Anyways, this isn't really an article, not a well written one anyways. It reads more like an advertisement.

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Anyways, this isn't really an article, not a well written one anyways. It reads more like an advertisement.

Perhaps. But it doesn't make a single false claim.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I never consider magazine-swapping, when shopping for a new pistol. If you like Glocks, then interchanging the magazines should have nothing to do with your purchase. 95% of gun carriers nowadays carry one magazine..... it's the one that's already inserted in the handgun. We only need one magazine anyways, even at the range. I enjoy letting the handgun have a minute of rest while I reload the magazine.

That doesn't change the fact most auto pistol owners accumulate several magazines for each pistol they own. You shouldn't have to run out and purchase new magazines every time they upgrade the same model gun. With Glock's you don't. With others like Springfield, you do. That irritates a lot of people, and turns them off to purchasing the upgraded weapon. I would have to take an inventory of all of the Glock magazines I currently have. It's at least several hundred dollars worth. And I'll guarantee you that I'm not alone. It's nice to know that if I ever decide to purchase a Gen 4 Glock, they'll all fit. And the three that come with it will fit every other one I own. I'm just surprised more manufacturers haven't caught on to that simple fact.

Originally Posted By: billt460

That doesn't change the fact most auto pistol owners accumulate several magazines for each pistol they own. You shouldn't have to run out and purchase new magazines every time they upgrade the same model gun. With Glock's you don't. With others like Springfield, you do. That irritates a lot of people, and turns them off to purchasing the upgraded weapon. I would have to take an inventory of all of the Glock magazines I currently have. It's at least several hundred dollars worth. And I'll guarantee you that I'm not alone. It's nice to know that if I ever decide to purchase a Gen 4 Glock, they'll all fit. And the three that come with it will fit every other one I own. I'm just surprised more manufacturers haven't caught on to that simple fact.

I think several manufacturers HAVE caught on. They've just taken modularity to a new level. Take the P320 for instance, it's truly modular, unlike Glock. I can interchange the fire control group with any frame, caliber, and mag. In essence you technically only need one FCG and you just switch out the frames, slides and mags to your hearts content.

I think several manufacturers HAVE caught on. They've just taken modularity to a new level. Take the P320 for instance, it's truly modular, unlike Glock. I can interchange the fire control group with any frame, caliber, and mag. In essence you technically only need one FCG and you just switch out the frames, slides and mags to your hearts content.

That may or may not make a difference in the overall sales market. It remains to be seen. But even if it works out as Sig hopes, they'll still be chasing Glock for a long, long time to come. You have to remember that a lot of Glock's success is based on the fact they don't change. Or else change very little. They don't have to.

That may or may not make a difference in the overall sales market. It remains to be seen. But even if it works out as Sig hopes, they'll still be chasing Glock for a long, long time to come. You have to remember that a lot of Glock's success is based on the fact they don't change. Or else change very little. They don't have to.

It's already made a difference as Sig got the military contract which Glock FAILED to do, so they are well on their way. Granted they don't have the years of recalls....errr sorry.... "upgrades" that Glock has. Either way, it shows that glocks are getting left behind but no worries, like revolvers and 1911s, they still have their place....and I wouldn't hesitate carrying certain models.... with mods.

Last edited:
I will be the first to say that until October of 2016, using a Glock for target practice, self-defense, or any other reason would not have been a consideration in the slightest. I bought a Glock 26 back in 1992 and absolutely hated it in every way and subsequently sold it. I have owned Beretta’s and SIG’s after that, the sold the Beretta’s and had SIG only for years (decades).

Fast forward to now and you will find no less than 7 Glocks in my collection and my EDC is a Glock (of some flavor). I have SIG, FN, S&W, and Walther in the stable as well, but a Glock is “the firearm” for me. The primary motivator is standardization (as a person in the IT field this highly appeals to me), parts availability (OEM), upgrades (3rd party), and the most important is functionality. Glock firearms simply work, perhaps without a lot of hoopla and fanfare or “sex appeal”, but work they do, and often, even if mistreated.

I also agree with and like the ability to use magazines between pistols—far too many manufacturers come out with a new model and require a “reboot” from the ground up with accessories like magazines or even holsters. The series that Glock has is very nice—17, 22, 31, AND 19, 23, 32 AND 26, 27, 33. I find it to be very efficient—but as always YMMV.

It's already made a difference as Sig got the military contract which Glock FAILED to do, so they are well on their way.

Yeah, just like Colt who have had military contracts for over a century!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I will be the first to say that until October of 2016, using a Glock for target practice, self-defense, or any other reason would not have been a consideration in the slightest. I bought a Glock 26 back in 1992 and absolutely hated it in every way and subsequently sold it. I have owned Beretta’s and SIG’s after that, the sold the Beretta’s and had SIG only for years (decades).

Fast forward to now and you will find no less than 7 Glocks in my collection and my EDC is a Glock (of some flavor). I have SIG, FN, S&W, and Walther in the stable as well, but a Glock is “the firearm” for me. The primary motivator is standardization (as a person in the IT field this highly appeals to me), parts availability (OEM), upgrades (3rd party), and the most important is functionality. Glock firearms simply work, perhaps without a lot of hoopla and fanfare or “sex appeal”, but work they do, and often, even if mistreated.

I also agree with and like the ability to use magazines between pistols—far too many manufacturers come out with a new model and require a “reboot” from the ground up with accessories like magazines or even holsters. The series that Glock has is very nice—17, 22, 31, AND 19, 23, 32 AND 26, 27, 33. I find it to be very efficient—but as always YMMV.

I'm the same way. I too took a long time to "come around". Now they are at the top of my list in many categories.

It's already made a difference as Sig got the military contract which Glock FAILED to do, so they are well on their way.

Yeah, just like Colt who have had military contracts for over a century!

Excellent example my friend. The Colt AR was for years considered by many to be the staple by which many others were measured! Problem is, Colt products like their 1911s stayed EXACTLY THE SAME and their civilian sales tanked because if it.

.....The Colt AR was for years considered by many to be the staple by which many others were measured! Problem is, Colt products like their 1911s stayed EXACTLY THE SAME and their civilian sales tanked because if it.

Most people who find themselves in a hole, stop digging. Where as you always opt for a bigger shovel.

.....The Colt AR was for years considered by many to be the staple by which many others were measured! Problem is, Colt products like their 1911s stayed EXACTLY THE SAME and their civilian sales tanked because if it.

Most people who find themselves in a hole, stop digging. Where as you always opt for a bigger shovel.

I won't lie, I DO have fun poking Glock fans that take themselves too seriously and do the post-purchase validation bit. Don't know what to tell you outside of that. I couldn't help but be a little sarcastic, you moved the goalposts and I responded with common knowledge. Not sure whom I'm "in a hole" with though lol? Nonetheless, what I said about Colt is true and well known amongst those in the shooting community. Seems they file for bankruptcy every other year because at least in part they won't cater to their civilian markets when the .gov contracts slow. Sound familiar? Glock has always been inherently arrogant and stupid in the fact that they refused to build what their customers wanted (see single stack 9mm and Carbine) However, Glock was absolutely brilliant in the way they cornered the LE market in terms of pricing.

It's ok though, don't worry, Glocks are still good guns.

Glock has always been inherently arrogant and stupid in the fact that they refused to build what their customers wanted (see single stack 9mm and Carbine) However, Glock was absolutely brilliant in the way they cornered the LE market in terms of pricing.

Are you kidding? They have done nothing BUT build what their customers want. What people who hate Glock's refuse to accept, is they are selling everything they make. And have continued to do so for over 3 decades. And as a direct result they're not interested in changing their product. Glock pistols have never been "trendy". There is no reason for them to be. There has not been a gun company in the last 3 decades that has done as well financially as Glock. They have gotten that way because they have followed the most successful business model of all. If it's selling well, don't change it or screw with it.

JDM396 said:
Are you kidding? They have done nothing BUT build what their customers want. What people who hate Glock's refuse to accept, is they are selling everything they make. And have continued to do so for over 3 decades. And as a direct result they're not interested in changing their product. Glock pistols have never been "trendy". There is no reason for them to be. There has not been a gun company in the last 3 decades that has done as well financially as Glock. They have gotten that way because they have followed the most successful business model of all. If it's selling well, don't change it or screw with it.

Good lord the koolaid is strong with you lol. Would you rate the Glock 42/43 as a success? Yes or no? Now imagine how many they would've sold if they'd made it 10 years ago? However, the Shield smokes the G42/43 in sales because they got beat to the punch. Customers were asking for a SS 9 from Glock for YEARS. Again, now imagine them making a carbine that took Glock mags, of which you claim is the holy grail reason for buying a glock. They wouldn't be able to build em fast enough. Something which, again, has been requested for years.

I'm sure you have some doubt to my logic so here's some fun facts for 2016...

http://lawofficer.com/news/the-5-top-selling-handguns-of-2016/

1-4 are all single stacks....with the tried and true G19 at 5th.

Now in terms of financial success, now you're showing an amount of ignorance. Due to versatility, S&W, Ruger, Sig Sauer and Springfield are just as successful.

https://www.shootingindustry.com/u-s-firearms-industry-today-2016/

FWIW, Glock doesn't even come close to Ruger, Remington, and S&W in gross sales.

Good lord the koolaid is strong with you lol.

Not really. I just enjoy jerking your chain. You need a shovel with a longer handle. What you fail to understand is Glock is a privately owned company. Every gun company you mentioned is publically traded. While Ruger and S&W have done well, if it wasn't for the Cerberus buyout, Remington would have gone out of business. Even with the buyout, and the infusion of capitol it provided, they are still closing plants to stay in business.

Not to mention the never ending law suits they are continually bombarded with, and have had to pay out tens millions as a result. The latest class action settlement will cost them millions more, and involve retro fitting hundreds of thousands of Model 700's that they are going to have to recall. Add to that the fact the Ilion New York plant is a relic in terms of machinery. And it will take additional tens of millions more they don't have to renovate it. And as been seen over and over with gun companies, high sales volume doesn't always translate into big profits. Remington has proven this. They've sold boxcar loads of them, and still hang by a financial thread.

In the meantime Gaston travels between his many multi million dollar homes in this. The way Remington is going, they'll be lucky to afford a green painted Super Cub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back