Not Designed for Submarine Duty.

MolaKule

Staff member

F-35 jet failed upon carrier takeoff after rain cover was left on​

"A long-awaited investigation has now concluded that it is almost certain that a “single engine intake blank” remained inside the engine intake at the time of the launch. This “caused a restriction in airflow to the engine such that it was unable to generate enough power for take-off”, an interim report by the defence safety authority found..."

The “single engine intake blank” is the protective cover that is placed across the intake to protect the engine when not in operation.

Airforces Magazine (Nov. 2022) has a complete report on Page 94.

Happens all the time, during a WestPac cruise, pilot did his preflight on a SH3 Sea King helo at night, checking the engines and rotor head he left a rag near the intakes and got swallowed up during engine start up and fodded the engine, needless to say he didn't fly that night and we had an engine change. :mad:

On the checklist, I pity the fool that checked off the box "engine intake blank removed".
In the pharmaceutical world, we have two people for every manufacturing step. Performed by, checked by. Mistakes will happen but we know who is accountable.

For what the jet costs the taxpayers it should be capable of underwater operation.

Last edited:
Yup TO = Technical ORDERS.

Indeed... Tech Orders are DIRECT ORDERS and QC is your friendly prick to make sure you comply with all the 5,499 TOs...
I still have my Quality Control mug from Yokota AFB Japan...

Attachments

• QCmugYokota (1).JPG
    QCmugYokota (1).JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 148
  • QCmugYokota (2).JPG
    QCmugYokota (2).JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 67
Back