Gonna Take One For The Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The pressure in an automotive oil system results in embedded particles, not particles just flowing around in the bottom of a coffee filter. Big difference. The coffee grounds are of a significant magnitude greater than the contaminants filtered from your engine oil. Again, they are more likely to sit upon the finer, cellulose coffee filtration media.

A tear in an oil filter produces a much worse situation than a tear in a coffee filter, even if the particles and media were the same in both situations. That's because an oil filter has a much higher delta-p across the media that will cause more of the flow to take the path of least resistance - not less like you think. The higher the delta-p across the media, the higher the percentage of flow will be going through the leaking tear.

So it's obvious that your "degree in arm chair engineering" is from a worse school than mine. And you should try to use some emoticons once and awhile, and lighten up some ... you might have a stroke someday, are at least get a few diamonds out of coal from you know where.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
This coffee filter analogy is still missing the point. If I consistently saw grounds in my coffee cup, and each time I did, I found a torn filter in the coffee machine, I'd be looking for a new brand of filters. Sure, drinking the coffee grounds might not hurt me, but I certainly would prefer not to be drinking them.

Exactly ... why use something that doesn't perform like it should. I think some fanboys around here like grounds in their teeth.

When I talked about coffee filters I wasn't comparing coffee filters and oil filters. I was saying if someone saw a torn coffee filter, after use, and many others also did, with pictures as proof, someone would probably try another brand coffee filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back