Fram Endurance tear down after using HPL Engine Cleaner

So I was inspired to do this after seeing a post from @wwillson tearing down a filter while using HPL 5w-20 and I thought you all might find this interesting. Didn't really know where to put this so if I am posting in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the correct location.

I decided to run 1 quart of HPL EC and 4 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in my wife's 2016 Chevy Malibu 105,000 current miles. Oil was left in for approx. 4,000 miles then drained and replaced with HPL PCEO 5w-30.

First 2 photos show a small amount of slurry (for lack of a better word), some hard carbon chunks and the ghost of the filter magnet that I have used with this car since new. The magnet ghost is neither more or less pronounced than previous filters The other 3 are of the filter media cut out after about 6 days of wrapping paper towels around it to remove excess oil. You can see some tiny bits of hard carbon on the media. The majority of carbon fell onto the table during removal.
filter1.jpg
filter2.jpg
media1.jpg
media2.jpg
media3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some chunky going on here & it sounds like you lost some carbon during showtime. I will say that the filter itself still looked like it had more room to spare but I understand the unknown of running a "Cleaner oil". How long do you plan to run the HPL this go? Any reason you decided to use an Endurance vs a cheaper filter for this first 4k? Thanks for the work.

There's some chunky going on here & it sounds like you lost some carbon during showtime. I will say that the filter itself still looked like it had more room to spare but I understand the unknown of running a "Cleaner oil". How long do you plan to run the HPL this go? Any reason you decided to use an Endurance vs a cheaper filter for this first 4k? Thanks for the work.
I'll probably go 4,000 miles swap to a new filter & take another look then when the OLM goes off I will most likely send a sample off and see from there. I used that filter because I had one in the garage.

I'll probably go 4,000 miles swap to a new filter & take another look then when the OLM goes off I will most likely send a sample off and see from there. I used that filter because I had one in the garage.
Thanks for that info. Sounds like a good plan.

I have EC in my 09 Accord with 202k miles currently, bought the vehicle at 198k and noticed it was burning oil. Decided to try EC, matched it with Mobil 1 EP triple action. I decided to change the filter out at 1500-1800 miles to see how it was doing.

At most it was a single piece of carbon every 3-4 pleats, I didn't feel it was worth while to post so I discarded it. I plan to run the mix to 4k and see what it looks like than. However a thought came to me, I've pulled plenty of oil pans in the past to clean them, replace them, or simple replace the gasket, I've noticed a good bit of sludge/carbon on most pans even when the top side of the motor is spotless.

Compared to what I typically see on just the oil pan these filters really don't show much, and I don't exactly mean it in a bad way, I like HPL products, and I plan to use their motor oil next, however even the worst filters I've seen normally only hold single digit grams of carbon. Which in retrospect is nothing for the size of the motor, or even oil pan, they look impressive, however just cleaning the typical oil pan could remove 5x's as much carbon.

Which has me wondering, in the grand scheme how much is it doing, would be interesting to see a tear down/before and after once 30k-50k miles in the system vs just what we see in the filter.

Back