*Golden* GC 0W-30, GM 5.3L V8, 3780 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well friends, here it is! Dunno if it's the first Golden GC UOA but it is an early one.

Details are:

Vehicle - 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD
Engine - 5.3L Vortec V8
Miles on truck - 30275
Miles on oil - 3780
Filter type - NAPA Gold 1522
Oil additives - None
Fuel additives - Occassional FP

Previous oil was Mobil Clean 7500 5W-30. I didn't run a UOA on it so I don't know how much the Mobil residue is affecting the GC.

I'm not happy Silicon went up as I installed a new air filter right after the OCI. But I am happy to see Copper continuing to fall.

Based on the comments from Terry, I'll prolly start running LC to extend the OCI.

As always, comments and thoughts are appreciated.

-

[ July 07, 2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Looks good other then the sodium. Did they say anything about that?

I think Patman or other "trended" engines should try this oils in order to directly compare. We can not assume anything from this compared to the old green GC.

The report does look fairly good!

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Looks good other then the sodium. Did they say anything about that?

No, but I have Terry do my analysis so I'll wait for his comments.

Doesn't Mobil Clean 5000 have a boat-load of sodium in the VOA? If so, that high sodium level is from the Mobil Dino and nothing to worry about.

LC is the way to go!

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Doesn't Mobil Clean 5000 have a boat-load of sodium in the VOA? If so, that high sodium level is from the Mobil Dino and nothing to worry about.

LC is the way to go!

cheers.gif

Dunno offhand but I mistyped the oil I used previously. It was Clean 7500, not 5000. Too late to edit my original post so I can't change it.

I'll definitely use LC with this OCI.

Thanks for posting. However, this does not tell us much since your filter was dirty and that increased your wear.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
I think Patman or other "trended" engines should try this oils in order to directly compare.

It'll be a while for me, I've still got 79L of green GC to use up first.

It seems as the "Golden" GC's main advantage here is the TBN retention if I'm not mistaken. Compared to M1, which would usually yield a TBN of 5.5-6 after 3500-4, this GC is yielding 6.9 after 3700 miles; this is especially excellent considering that the dirt in this case was also depleting the TBN!

Michael

You have some sodium retenion from the previous oil you used. I have seen this before when I switched from Royal Purple which had a sodium of 560 virgin to Mobil 1. It will take several UOA's before your sodium goes back to normal. I would pay no attention to the ? under antifreeze. This is what I got on two analysis after using Mobil 1 as the sodium went down.

bretfraz...Nice results with the Gold GC. It was nice to have your results and Bob W. (The Furor) posted very close to each other. He was using Kendall Synthetic and got very similar results. Your slightly higher silicon from your filter is probably the cause of the higher iron wear. It will be interesting to see your next UOA with the LC. Will you be using Golden GC + LC or dino + LC?

I'll be using FP and LC with this run of Golden GC.

I'll prolly go 7500 on this OCI and report back to BITOGer's. Hopefully others will post their UOA's of Golden GC, we need more trend data.

The silicon doesn't look that bad though cleary higher then the previous OCI. The green seemed to do much better when mileage is considered but it's only 1 OCI with a dirty filter.

You can't tell much about this analysis, due to the high level of dirt in the oil. This is the problem you need to address ASAP. The oil seems to have held up fine, as expected.

It looks like BS Labs is finally doing the correct ASTM D-4739 test, possible with an "Auto-Titrator", which eliminates some of the subjectivity out of the "end point" of the titration process. So hopefully their results can now be compared to other labs....

Tooslick

Don't take this wrong but why is this lab still using SUS viscosity? I use that myself but I know I'm old most peoiple here do not know what SUS even stands for.
Bruce

This UOA reminds me of two things we need to be on the lookout for: (1) a batch of the Gold--Made in Germany--higher than M0507; (2) bottles with a new label that says GC now meets MB 229.5. Regarding (2) I am not looking so much for the spec as I am an indication this might be Longtec/DCO TopUp.

10ppm iron in 6000 miles to 12ppm iron in 3800.
27ppm copper in 6000 miles to 20ppm copper in 3800
7ppm lead in 6000 miles to 7ppm lead in 3800

That driveclean must be a dog of an oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back