Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Engine: 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 (L83)
OCI mileage: 7,246 miles
OCI hours: 150 hours
OCI length: 2 months
OLM: 5%
Oil: Mobil 1 5W-30 (8 quarts)
Oil Filter: Mobil 1 M1-212A (on 2nd OCI)
Make up oil: none
Driving conditions: 85/15 (Highway/City)

My thoughts: 2nd run but first UOA of Mobil 1 5W-30. Lowest iron and copper levels of all UOA's. Flashpoint was flagged but has been that low before. Plan to run another UOA to be sure flashpoint isn't trending down.

UOA_8-28-18.JPG

Try splitting UOA report into 2 images to see if easier to see. Original image was re-sized after uploading.

UOA_page_1.jpg

UOA_page_2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Which 5w30 was used?

Just standard Mobil 1 5W-30

Interesting results. The previous M1 0w20 showed a 15 ppm Fe. Did you refill with M1 5w30 again?

Originally Posted by JoelB
Wonder what happened to double/triple the Aluminum at 63k miles.

Not sure about that but I did notice that the higher aluminum results were usually lined up with a winter OCI.

Originally Posted by buster
Interesting results. The previous M1 0w20 showed a 15 ppm Fe. Did you refill with M1 5w30 again?

Yes M1 5W-30 went back in along with fresh M1-212A filter. Since I'm well past my drivetrain warranty I'm thinking about doing a 10k OCI. We'll see!

Only 5% remaining on the OLM after 7.2K using regular Mobil-1 - the engine holds a hefty eight quarts and the vehicle was driven 85% highway?

Wow, I think your engine and Mobil-1 are not a good fit.

The OLM doesn't know what oil is in it, nor the state of that oil. It just knows the cycles on it since it was last reported to have been changed. It will count down crude oil the same as magic unicorn tears.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Only 5% remaining on the OLM after 7.2K using regular Mobil-1 - the engine holds a hefty eight quarts and the vehicle was driven 85% highway?

Wow, I think your engine and Mobil-1 are not a good fit.

Are those aluminum, Iron and copper numbers not high for a vehicle with that many miles on it? By now, shouldn't have things settled out, especially the copper?
21.gif

Last edited:
The data:
Compared to macro data, this engine is doing just about as well as all other 5.3L Vortec engines. They tend to shed more Fe than some other brands but this has not been shown to be detrimental overall. It's just a trait of the Vortec engines; they shed more metals than some others like the Ford mod-motors (old and Coy), for example. I am not intimately familiar with this particular engine, but many GM engines use a copper tube oil cooler, so that may be where the Cu is coming from.

The questions:
The distances of your OCIs are driven by what? Is the OLM telling you to OCI? Or is this a self-imposed limit?

The harsh reality:
You'd probably fare every bit as well just using a conventional lube. At 7.5k miles, you're no where close to taxing any lube to a breaking point. All you're proving is that you can consistently waste money (syns and UOAs which have not caused you to alter your maintenance program). Either run the OCIs much further out, or ditch the syns and the UOAs. You can certainly continue down this current path; it's not hurting the engine whatsoever. But it's killing your wallet; a cautionary tale for others to note.

Last edited:
Great UOAs, thanks for posting.
Yup, no mystery to me, though it will be debated forever.
The 5/30 is the sweet spot for most of the country as far as I am concerned, in almost all vehicles, also widely accepted around the world as a light weight oil.
Maybe considered heavy in the USA because of EPA. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dnewton3
The data:
Compared to macro data, this engine is doing just about as well as all other 5.3L Vortec engines. They tend to shed more Fe than some other brands but this has not been shown to be detrimental overall. It's just a trait of the Vortec engines; they shed more metals than some others like the Ford mod-motors (old and Coy), for example. I am not intimately familiar with this particular engine, but many GM engines use a copper tube oil cooler, so that may be where the Cu is coming from.

The questions:
The distances of your OCIs are driven by what? Is the OLM telling you to OCI? Or is this a self-imposed limit?

The harsh reality:
You'd probably fare every bit as well just using a conventional lube. At 7.5k miles, you're no where close to taxing any lube to a breaking point. All you're proving is that you can consistently waste money (syns and UOAs which have not caused you to alter your maintenance program). Either run the OCIs much further out, or ditch the syns and the UOAs. You can certainly continue down this current path; it's not hurting the engine whatsoever. But it's killing your wallet; a cautionary tale for others to note.

I ran Pennzoil syn in my 09 5.3 Sierra but never had a UOA done on the first or second engine. Other than both engines being a turd, they ran quiet.

I agree with you just running a conventional oil but I am curious what results he would see on a UOA running another brand of synthetic first?

I had no idea these 5.3's shed metals like this but with my experiences and issues I had with my pos Sierra, I am not surprised at all.
crazy2.gif

HPIM0594 (Large).JPG

For reference, I went back and pulled some info from my UOA database ...

As you can see, the wear rates become steady at 7.5k miles all the way out to 15k miles.
It is completely normal to see 15-40 ppm of Fe for this kind of exposure. (stdev is about 7ppm)
The brand (Mobil), the grade (5w-?), the base stock (PAO) don't mean a darn thing here. Any normal lube used in this application will return the same "normal" results.

If I had a penny for every dollar a BITOGer wasted on expensive lubes and UOAs in their search for the "best" oil, and then tossed in the recycle barrel before it was anywhere close to being condemned, I'd be filthy stinking rich.

5-3L wear rates.JPG

Last edited:
Yep … BiL did 400k on his 5.3L GM with Mobil Super bulk Dino and the MO cheap filter the Mobil quick lube put on …
Original 4L60e … (BG service) other than brakes/tires the only "repair" was wheel bearings and that's not unexpected …
All OCI's were 5k … In reality ~ the most worn part on the truck was the driver seat …
Got new GMC … they earned that sale …

The data:

The questions:

The harsh reality:

I get UOA's done strictly out of curiosity.
thumbsup2.gif

A 2014 Sierra calls for (recommends) dexos1 in the owner's manual. Are there any conventional oils out there that carry the dexos1 spec anymore? I know that some dexos1 oils had their dexos licenses expired when the D1G2 spec came out, and didn't renew due to the dexos1 license being completely replaced by Gen2. I don't think a conventional would kill (or do harm to) the engine in the OP's Sierra, but I also wouldn't blame the OP for running oil that meets the recommendation in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted by gonefishing
The data:

The questions:

The harsh reality:

I get UOA's done strictly out of curiosity.
thumbsup2.gif

Fair enough. What are you curious about? Wear trends? Contamination? What?
You've got a long string of UOAs that show completely normal wear, and that longer OCIs would easily sustain a safe operational pattern.

I just am repeatedly perplexed by folks that pay for information, and then promptly ignore it. You have every right to do so; no one can take that away from you. But there are folks here that actually want to LEARN and make reasonable, rational decisions. The lessons to learn from your UOAs are two-fold:
1) using a syn and different grades are doing nothing to lessen wear; it's totally "normal" to get these values
2) you're spending a lot of money on lubes and data that you don't manage with ROI in mind
Again - nothing wrong with your approach, if waste is not of concern to you.

But many people will point to your UOAs, and say "See how good brand M is! See how great syns are! See how grades make a difference!"
Hogwash is what I say, and I have more than 500 UOAs of this engine series alone to back up what I claim. Brand/grade/vis don't matter when 7.5k miles is your self-imposed limit. You could run a dino oil to 2x that OCI limit, and get the same basic results.

So, again, what "curiosity" are you trying to satisfy here? I'm not trying to belittle you, but I don't understand why you pay for premium products and then willingly waste them. What itch are you trying to scratch with the UOAs? What info are you gleaning from the UOAs that makes you happy? Low wear rates? Low contamination? What? You cannot point (with any accuracy) to your UOAs and say "Syns and moderate OCIs are the best combination; look how great they make the engine wear." You cannot do this because those inputs (bas stock and vis and OCI) are not proven to be unique in these kind of results; other brands, other vis; other OCI limits will give you the very same output. You can safely double your OCI (cutting your costs in half) and you'd get exactly the same wear rates (within a tenth of a ppm, statistically).

I realize my approach, and demeanor, often take the fun out of UOAs. But that's because most BITOgers use UOAs as toys, not tools. UOAs, when properly used with both benefits and limitations in mind, are tools for a ROI approach. But you, and most all other BITOGers seem to think they are toys, and play unwitting games with them that serve no purpose other than to illuminate the obvious, and ignore the reality. You have every right to do so with your equipment and your money. But when you post it in a public format, I have every right to call it out for what it is; waste of oil and information.

So, please expound on what "curiosity" you are satisfying. I'm not trying purposely to demean you, so if it comes off that way then I apologize. I just want to know what you're learning from your string of UOAs. What have you proven to yourself? What curiosity is getting satisfied here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back