M1 AFE 0W-30 7,304 miles 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Engine: 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 (L83) - 8 quart capacity
OCI mileage: 7,304 miles (145 hours)
OCI length: 3 months
OLM: 4%
Oil: Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 (6 quarts) and M1 AFE 0W-20 (2 quarts)
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra XG10575
Make up oil: none
Driving conditions: 85/15 (Highway/City)

My thoughts: First run with 0W-30. Not 100% 0W-30 as I used up 2 quarts of 0W-20. Consumption was about the same as previous OCI (probably about 1/2-3/4 quart). Not enough to make me want to add. I'll chalk up aluminum increase due to cold winter starts. New oil was 100% M1 0W-30.

Just a thought here but look at Castrol Magnatec has performed very well in turbo boosted motors. TBN stays strong and viscosity stays in grade quite well even past 7k miles.

4% OLM seems too pessimistic, the oil is doing better than that.
Any clue why is Fe and Cu not trending down or it's typical of this engine ?
confused.gif

Btw, are previous 5 UOA's on 0W20 ?

Thank you for posting, I'll be interested to see what a full run of all 0w-30 does but from the reports it would seem as if it didn't make much difference. Nice report.

Nice trending report, I have L83 also I was kind of concerned about my copper being on avg around same values like yours but I guess that seems normal for these engines. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: zeng
confused.gif

It's completely typical of the LS when running Mobil 1.
He could switch to Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5w-30 (dexos1 approved, $25.97/5qts. @ Walmart) and those numbers would drop like a rock, but that's entirely his call.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
confused.gif

It's completely typical of the LS when running Mobil 1.
He could switch to Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5w-30 (dexos1 approved, $25.97/5qts. @ Walmart) and those numbers would drop like a rock, but that's entirely his call.

I have roughly same FE CU numbers as him on Penz Plat, Do you have any UOA reports to show that on Edge HM for LS/LT based engines?

Last edited:
confused.gif

Yes all previous UOA's on this report were M1 AFE 0W-20

I was told copper is from oil cooler. Don't have anything to back that up but it could be true.

Iron is within universal average range of 23ppm. Seems to hold in that range. The 15ppm on the previous UOA was the lowest I have ever had.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go from the OEM 0w-20 to the 0w-30? I have the same engine and truck (2015) and the 0w-20 works great.

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
confused.gif

Yes all previous UOA's on this report were M1 AFE 0W-20
I was told copper is from oil cooler. Don't have anything to back that up but it could be true.
Iron is within universal average range of 23ppm. Seems to hold in that range. The 15ppm on the previous UOA was the lowest I have ever had.

Ever consider a xW40 of higher Hths(preferably Euro specs) to see if it can help with Fe # ?
An xW40 probably can't help with Cu #, but who knows add packs of another brand might help ...?
Just saying..
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back