Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 @ 13k mi; GM 5.3L 238k mi

Do you monitor oil temps?

I would stop using M1 filters. which PN M1 filter? what thread for the dual mount?

Oil temps run 212°- 215° on average and that is in the Florida heat.

I swapped over to the Fram Ultraguard filters oil change before last and used the Ultraguard again this go around.

I was running the Mobil 1 EP # M1-301A

Now I am running the Fram Ultraguard # XG8A

Thread is 3/4"-16

Is that the temp with the aftermarket oil cooler? or did you remove it already?
220F in Florida heat is not warm enough to worry about. Was worried about overcooling but not an issue. I don't think you're oil is getting too hot to justify an overly thick oil. I would slowly step up the HTHS and see if anything improves. Try the multivehicle 5w30 T6 rotella or the Delvac Extreme 10w30 before going to 40 grades.

Did I miss the post on your air filtration type/brand/mods?

I would mix oil filters. Use an XG8A with a Baldwin HPG, Amsoil, XP/Platinum, RoyalPurple, Boss ... synth media filter.

Another option is the 1-16 converter for a bigger filter. For example:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 2
Is that the temp with the aftermarket oil cooler? or did you remove it already?
220F in Florida heat is not warm enough to worry about. Was worried about overcooling but not an issue. I don't think you're oil is getting too hot to justify an overly thick oil. I would slowly step up the HTHS and see if anything improves. Try the multivehicle 5w30 T6 rotella or the Delvac Extreme 10w30 before going to 40 grades.

Did I miss the post on your air filtration type/brand/mods?

I would mix oil filters. Use an XG8A with a Baldwin HPG, Amsoil, XP/Platinum, RoyalPurple, Boss ... synth media filter.

Another option is the 1-16 converter for a bigger filter. For example:

Aftermarket oil cooler is still in place. The good news is the lead has come down significantly from that initial spike so I think the oil cooler leaching is starting to get washed out.

I am running a factory air box with a K&N style filter and an Air raid MIT tube which just smooths the air flow between the air box and throttle body. It gets rid of the accordion style tube and replaces it with a smooth tube.

I had considered changing the threads on one side of the dual mount setup to run a bypass filter.

What would the advantage be to running 2 different filter, in your opinion?

KN filter or KN style? style means? Maybe toss in a Fram Toughgard or Wix heavyduty filter for a couple UOAs. Or, AFE 5-layer or dry filter or AEM dryflow?

Limitations on each oil filter adds advantage when paired with competing filter. Since performance of any ol filter is truly unknown, pair 'em up. All media types have performance limitations.

KN filter or KN style? style means? Maybe toss in a Fram Toughgard or Wix heavyduty filter for a couple UOAs. Or, AFE 5-layer or dry filter or AEM dryflow?

Limitations on each oil filter adds advantage when paired with competing filter. Since performance of any ol filter is truly unknown, pair 'em up. All media types have performance limitations.

The air filter is a Spectre HPR8755. It is an oiled filter like a K&N which is why I said K&N style.

Latest UOA with Mobil Delvac Extreme 15w40 and Fram Ultra Guard filters....
20210618_235300.jpg

TBN looks good to me and the lead continues it's decline.

With that kind of mileage, what are you going you do, except keep your fingers crossed?

As far as the UOA goes, nothing is imminent anyway.

I had considered changing the threads on one side of the dual mount setup to run a bypass filter.

What would the advantage be to running 2 different filter, in your opinion?
If 100% of the oil flows thru one filter first, then the other filter second(series), a bypass filter would restrict oil volume to your engine. Not good (n)

If 100% of the oil flows thru one filter first, then the other filter second(series), a bypass filter would restrict oil volume to your engine. Not good (n)

The filters are parallel not series so it wouldn't be a problem.

Awesome, then if it were mine, I would definitely put a bypass filter in one of the two positions. 90-95% of the oil goes thru the full flow filter. But over time 100% of the oil gets filtered by the bypass filter.

Back