Going To The Dark Side

For reference, is Samsung updating the OS or security on their Galaxy S4 phones ? Even if they did, will Verizon, ATT, Cricket, etc in turn push the update to their customers ?
It looks like OS feature upgrades were cut off within 18 months of the release of the Galaxy S4 (compared to 5-7 years for Apple products from the era) but they did continue providing security updates until just shy of the 4 year mark.

Android updates much differently than iOS. There are dozens of system apps that upgrade outside of an OS upgrade on Android devices that are all part of an OS upgrade with iOS.

Even Safari is part of and OS upgrade with iOS.

I cannot do the whole apple thing. Apple has a very polished and very robust operating system, equal to if not in some aspects better than android. However..........i am a repair and extend the life of all things type of person and apple has a cult like mentality of going so far above and beyond the scope of anything reasonable to make any type of repair almost impossible. I would own an apple product if the company I worked for provided it, or required it. Otherwise i like to source 1 or 2 yr old flagship androids. Like the S20 / S21, or LG V60, or Motorlola Edge Plus 5G.

I cannot do the whole apple thing. Apple has a very polished and very robust operating system, equal to if not in some aspects better than android. However..........i am a repair and extend the life of all things type of person and apple has a cult like mentality of going so far above and beyond the scope of anything reasonable to make any type of repair almost impossible. I would own an apple product if the company I worked for provided it, or required it. Otherwise i like to source 1 or 2 yr old flagship androids. Like the S20 / S21, or LG V60, or Motorlola Edge Plus 5G.
Yep. Apple has always been very propritary and protective. In the early 80's there were companies that sold kits to build your oen Apple II home computer (one was called Pineapple), but apple shut them down. I believe the fact that PC's became available from many vendors aside from IBM (and hence, more affordable) is one reason why the PC has dominated the market ever since.

Yep. Apple has always been very propritary and protective. In the early 80's there were companies that sold kits to build your oen Apple II home computer (one was called Pineapple), but apple shut them down. I believe the fact that PC's became available from many vendors aside from IBM (and hence, more affordable) is one reason why the PC has dominated the market ever since.
The PPC Macs were a bit of a challenge but once they went Intel, well... I've got a stock Radeon RX 580 in my Mac Pro right now and there's a huge community limping along these old beasts (3,1 4,1 5,1) Which are basically just workstation/server hardware in a really nice chassis.

Amusingly, I have an old iMac here that, for a while, ran Yellowdog Linux. I've restored its proper OS X now, as I've got a small collection that I've put together, but even the PPC stuff was a target for the Linux community, lol.

Yes, one thing for sure, since Apple kept their system to themselves it has limited market penetration. Which profit wise was a smart decision if they wanted to remain a computer maker and not a software company.

I didnt own anything Apple until just a few years ago and have been using PCs since 1995. Now I am fully into the Apple ecosphere and will be assuming they keep evolving into a company that produces product to compliment computing.
Not many of the non Apple computer makers survived the crowded field and Apple grew stronger than ever into a vast ecosystem. Like wow, look at the features of the new iPhone 14 and Watch 8 some of this stuff is very useful to people, I posted my own story in the electronics section today.

Contrary to what some who know me think, I am NOT 🙃 in anyway knocking or discounting PC products. Each has its benefits and fun factor.
I used to LOVE updating my PCs with hardware. (memory, HDs and motherboards, modems) It was a hobby, loved it.
now ...
Im finding a lot of useful fun in Apple products right now, maybe because I am getting older and more interested in fitness and safety? Whatever *LOL*

Im just talking investment wise.
So lets look at the top three computer makers. HP and Dell hands down the largest sellers of PCs with Apple a very distant third.
Last five years-
Apple stock was $42 a share, now $155 a share
HP was $54 a share, now $41 a share
Dell was $23 a share now $37

Last edited:
Apple now offers a DIY repair service where they’ll rent you all the tools needed to replace whatever you need to replace. iFixIt also rates the iPhone easier to repair than say the Galaxy S21.

You don’t want to be the green bubble in a sea of blue bubbles if you know what I mean.

Well I guess I'm the purple with orange polka-dots bubble - I have a Linux phone. I prefer something that is as free as possible from the tech giants and is under my own control - and don't care about running Android and iOS type "apps".

Back