Going strictly Top Tier, after having just used whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by philipp10
The majority of people just put gas and oil .....ANY gas and oil and go many, many miles. IMHO, it makes NO difference.

I believe, over time, it makes "some" difference. Just because an engine doesn't stop running altogether does not mean its in the best health. Performance may drop over time and not be readily noticeable due the decline being gradual. Same for MPG's.

If you believe Shells study, deposits are significantly higher with non-TT gas.

I use TT 99% of the time, and the costs are the same.

I use top tier 95 percent of the time (mostly Costco, Fred Meyer (Kroger) when points are up, and out of town situations Shell or Chevron), and a can of B12 chemtool periodically (>15k mi intervals) livens up the car greatly. I don't have blind faith in TT gas, though I believe the benefits.

I use TT and can tell the difference in one of the cars I drive. Shell, btw from a newer, high volume station. I've noticed a few older, run down stations so who knows what they use. There's a big company here that owns a bunch of Shell stations that they call TrueNorth Shell which is what I use as much as possible. They run their own fleet of Shell tanker trucks to fill up their stations. Versus some other no-name tanker trunks that look like they just came from Kuwait with soot and dirt stains all over the rig. No thanks.

For yard equipment I only use TT gas. My Dad and I had the same model lawnmower and he'd use non-TT gas and was having problems within 2 years. I got rid of my mower after 11 years and never had a problem.

For the fleet, whatever name-brand is cheapest at the time; usually Speedway, although I now have Mobil station near my house that undercuts Speedway a lot.

The Cobalt is an exception - TT and premium only.

Originally Posted by Mainia
BP stations are top tier and they add 1 more over and above cleaning additive then top tier.

Reference please.

I would be interested too Mania, When I'm south of the border and fill up with BP's Invigorate fuel I get really great mileage out of it so I always wondered what their formula was.

I had one vehicle that definitely suffered through lack of top tier. I use top tier exclusively now.

I use Gumout every 5,000 - 10,000 miles for additional cleaning.

I use what's most economical and reasonably convenient. Lowest price is often Sam's Club by $0.10 - $0.15 per gallon, or HEB (a Texas grocer), other times Shell with FRN doscount is competotive, or Valero, and occasionally Chevron. I use Gumout All In One every 3K to 5K miles iny truck. Lowest moleage gasoline I've purchased in my area has consistently been Exxon so I avoid that brand here.

Guess I should add our vehicles are port fuel injected. OPE tends to get Top Tier because that's most geographically convenient but not very price competitive. I add Gumout All-In-One and Star-tron to the OPE containers, high ambient temperatures here make additional antioxidant and detergent additives prudent IMO for gasoline stored for longer periods than vehicle tankfuls.

I use almost exclusively top tier, by going to Costco. Its cheaper for 87, and cheaper by a good bit for 93.

I'm not convinced there is much difference station to station, brand to brand. Here's why:

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/crude-petroleum/5897

I've used Ultramar (non top tier) for the life of my Forester and I recall the mechanic stating it was one of the cleanest engines (cylinders/valves) he had seen when he did my head gaskets.

A portion of the money you save on non-top tier could be invested in periodic Techron or Gumout treatments, with possibly better results IMO.

That being said, I am not generalizing and only speaking to my local area.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
I use almost exclusively top tier, by going to Costco. Its cheaper for 87, and cheaper by a good bit for 93.

Something I noticed with Costco gas (at least near me) is that they are using 15% ethanol, whereas the other top tiers (Mobil, Shell, etc) are using 10%. I know its "just 5%" but its just another thing that widdles away at the value of Costco gas.

Regularly a line to wait in to fill up, usually not as close to me as any other top tier, etc. Add 5% of the cost back into the Costco per gallon price to get an apples to apples comparison to others and all of a sudden the cheaper price seems not quite as cheap. Yes there is still a price difference, but not as much as I would like.

Originally Posted by pantygnome

Something I noticed with Costco gas (at least near me) is that they are using 15% ethanol, whereas the other top tiers (Mobil, Shell, etc) are using 10%. I know its "just 5%" but its just another thing that widdles away at the value of Costco gas.

Regularly a line to wait in to fill up, usually not as close to me as any other top tier, etc. Add 5% of the cost back into the Costco per gallon price to get an apples to apples comparison to others and all of a sudden the cheaper price seems not quite as cheap. Yes there is still a price difference, but not as much as I would like.

I have no engine in my possession that allows for E15, as indicated in each manual. I wouldn't use it.

Originally Posted by webfors
Originally Posted by pantygnome

I have no engine in my possession that allows for E15, as indicated in each manual. I wouldn't use it.

Exactly.

Although the manual for each of my 3 vehicles says MTBE is OK up to 15%. I just avoid the 15% places (which currently seems to be only Costco)

If I drive 24 miles or so I can get ethanol free but I havent tried going there yet...not sure if it comes out of the pump or if I have to buy a 55 gallon drum.

The Top Tier spec says that the gasoline must contain at least 8% ethanol but no more that 10%. If a Costco station is selling 15% ethanol then it is no longer Top Tier. Either that or the definition of Top Tier has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back