GOIL - Why isn't it more popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DanMiller
I was a Mobil 1 user however since reading this site I have not been impressed with the Wear numbers so I don't care how long they have been producing their oil they haven't been making a very good product for a while now. G-Oils UOAs look better to me. I Know that Mobil could be making a top oil since they are the largest PAO Producer in NA however the UOAs tell me that they are cutting costs and living off of their name. I would rather give my money so someone that is trying harder to produce a great product.

Good points. It's too bad too. Mobil seemed to change right about the time Castrol won the legal challenge that determined they could call Group III, hydrocracked oils "full synthetic".

I will continue the Bio Based G-Oil, their other Full-Syn I am not sure what it is composed of. The re-refined stuff looks good too, but I'd rather have a syn. The 5w20 Bio based is here and I plan to use some of this in the Civic. I have been using the 5w30 mixed with some 5w20 Syntec I had left over. The price is a little steep, but when using CC reward points it isn't that bad.

The reason its not popular is price. You cannot enter into the market with something most people dont understand and price it at the price point of our top tier (readily available) synthetic and offer no direct advantages. I bet the story would be different if it were priced at two dollars / quart or less. People would use it based on cost then once they were comfortable with it maybe they would pay a little more but there pricing strategy is way off in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
The reason its not popular is price. You cannot enter into the market with something most people dont understand and price it at the price point of our top tier (readily available) synthetic and offer no direct advantages. I bet the story would be different if it were priced at two dollars / quart or less. People would use it based on cost then once they were comfortable with it maybe they would pay a little more but there pricing strategy is way off in my opinion.

I agree 100%, I feel that hopefully if it slowly starts catching on slowly though, that in time (and a perfect world) price may come down. Every so ofter I read up on their financials and cringe, however I believe that this is a step in the right direction. I have convinced many co-workers to switch over (mainly using the rebate reason though) but they have no clue about oil and would probably rather use something cheaper up front.

Imagine if bio-based oils caught on and became much more popular, then those oils were recovered and re-refined and sold as the 2x re-refined G-Oil. This would offer a cheaper alternative while reducing the dependence on oil.

As long as the product is based on tallow, the price will not come down. Beef fat is very expensive now and will not likely ever go down.

I like the oil,the idea but it's cost prohibitive for me. It costs the same as ultra,and given the choice I'd take the PU every day of the week. If they could bring the cost down,advertise properly and educate the consumer I'm sure it would catch on. But the consumer buys what they know and unfortunately mobil has the market cornered. I just don't understand the whole mobil thing,especially now that I've seen the uoa showing higher than average wear metals in most uoa.
The g-oil uoa that I have seen here were as good as or better than the m1 uoa however every engine and driver and conditions are different,so it's not an apples to apples comparison.
I hope they can get the costs down and push average mobil 1 to the bottom shelf.
In the end unless a driver seriously neglects the maintenance I don't think engine longevity will be noticeably affected. Any oil changed at an interval that doesn't deplete tbn will lead to a long engine life.

Brand recognition is their biggest hurdle. No one knows who they are.

Joe Schmoe goes for an oil change and sees Pennzoil, Mobil, and Valoline...he knows them.

Last edited:
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to try some of their newer stuff. I emailed them asking if the current rebates would apply to the newer weights of oil, etc. This was the response.

Currently, we do not have one listed on Amazon.com, but our current rebate promotion that is ending today does apply to those products as well. We will have Amazon.com updated shortly though to assist you with this issue in the coming season.

So it looks like maybe the next rebate will be printable from Amazon.com and help with the cost since $40+ is a little steep for me to give it a whirl.

G-Oil is still unknown to many people. The price is still too high. Don't know why they can't reduce price to $1.99 rather give rebate. Personally, I like G-Oil both for performance and free after rebate. The oil is mostly bio based ester with worker better blend with my current dino oil stock.

Good point they need to do a better job advertising.

will this work?
28.gif

http://www.nascar.com/news/121030/get-partners-with-nascar-green/index.html

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
G-Oil is still unknown to many people. The price is still too high. Don't know why they can't reduce price to $1.99 rather give rebate. Personally, I like G-Oil both for performance and free after rebate. The oil is mostly bio based ester with worker better blend with my current dino oil stock.

I highly doubt $1.99 price point could be obtain when even most store brand conventional oils are priced higher than that.

There is a fine line when pricing your product to still make a profit but not priced so low where it is perceived as "cheap quality" because of the price.

The price isnt' too high if you look at the UOA number its better than M1 what what I have seen

You can't determine what is "better" by looking at UOA's, sorry.

They are a tool, and that is certainly not their purpose.

I think you can use them to tell if an oil is good or not, M1 has consistently high wear numbers higher than most oils. I have personally never seen a bad one for G-Oil

This thread really has me wondering. I normally use PP but this G-oil looks like it could be something to try. Im driving a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with the 3.6L V6 so its not a super high performance engine.

This may have been covered but how would it compare to the cleaning ability or ability to keep the engine clean like PP?

You should probably look at a few more UOAs.
There is one exceptionally good UOA of G-Oil that had been run 10K in an old Volvo. The rest are not that great.
There are many good UOAs of various flavors of M1, particularly AFE and 0W-40.
Understand that I haven't used any flavor of M1 in more than a year and have only a lonely quart of M1 15W-50 left in my stash, so I'm no M1 fanboy, unlike some members.
If you want to use UOAs as a wear comparison tool, you need to look at wear per thousand miles run.
On that basis, excepting the golden run in the Volvo, G-Oil does not appear all that exceptional as compared to M1.
G-Oil also has pretty weak TBN retention, but then M1 EP does as well, at least relative to the 15K OCI claim XOM makes.
I have a bunch of G-Oil and will run it in something in the coming year.
I figure three 4K runs, based upon the suspect TBN retention and then a UOA of a car I've already UOAed on a known good oil.
The results should be intersting, and may convert me to being a G-Oil loyalist.
This is an interesting oil and I hope its maker survives, but XOM has little to fear from GET in the consumer synthetic oil market on any basis as of the moment.

I think you can use them to tell if an oil is good or not, M1 has consistently high wear numbers higher than most oils. I have personally never seen a bad one for G-Oil

No, you can't. That's not their purpose. They are designed to show you contamination and point out any potential issues like a bearing failure, coolant ingress....etc. You cannot contrast minute variances in PPM to determine which oil is "better" or even protecting "better".

Originally Posted By: k1rod
I was a Mobil 1 user however since reading this site I have not been impressed with the Wear numbers so I don't care how long they have been producing their oil they haven't been making a very good product for a while now. G-Oils UOAs look better to me. I Know that Mobil could be making a top oil since they are the largest PAO Producer in NA however the UOAs tell me that they are cutting costs and living off of their name. I would rather give my money so someone that is trying harder to produce a great product.

Good points. It's too bad too. Mobil seemed to change right about the time Castrol won the legal challenge that determined they could call Group III, hydrocracked oils "full synthetic".

Please tell us what PAO has to do with wear numbers.

And does G oil prevent varnish and ring coking better than M1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back